For Muslim women in Europe, a medical road back to virginity

http://img.iht.com/images/marketing/logo_132x30.png

The surgery in the private clinic off the Champs-Élysées involved one semicircular cut, 10 self-dissolving stitches and a discounted fee of $2,900.

But for the patient, a 23-year-old French student of Moroccan descent from Montpellier, the 30-minute procedure represented the key to a new life: the illusion of virginity.

Like an increasing number of other Muslim women in Europe, she had a “hymenoplasty,” a restoration of her hymen, the thin vaginal membrane that normally breaks during the first act of intercourse.

“In my culture, not to be a virgin is to be dirt,” said the student, perched on a hospital bed as she awaited surgery Thursday. “Right now, virginity is more important to me than life.”

| story |

[quote=the article]The domestic saga has gripped the nation. The bridegroom, an unidentified engineer in his 30s, left the nuptial bed and announced to the still-partying wedding guests that his bride had lied about her past. She was delivered that night to her parents’ doorstep.

The next day, he asked a lawyer to annul the marriage. The bride, then a nursing student in her 20s, confessed the truth to the court and agreed to an annulment.

In its ruling, there was no mention of religion. Rather, it cited breach of contract, concluding that he had married her after “she was presented to him as single and chaste.”
[/quote]

I am amazed both by the behavior of the groom, and by the decision of the court.

If my wife lied about something so basic as whether she had been with another man before, I would seek an annulment too. You don’t have to be a Muslim to care that marriage is founded on honesty.

Similarly, that the medical establishment is catering to the lies of these women is disgusting.

As the old joke goes: men like virgins because they fear comparison.

Very silly waste of money, virginity isn’t just physical it’s spiritual as-well.

Wow. How ridiculous. Virginity being more important to a person than life? That is just ridiculous. And also, this is nothing more than an illusion of virginity. Once you have lost your virginity, you’re no longer a virgin, surgery or not.

Sad, but true indeed that in some cultures physical virginity is more important than life itself. One of those being the estimable Jewish culture from which we have descended.

It’s in Leviticus, if a man accuses his wife of not having been a virgin when he married her, and there’s no ‘proof’ that can be offered of her virginity such as blood stained sheets, she can be stoned to death.

And truly, if my options were to get the surgery or potentially be executed then I don’t know that I wouldn’t get the surgery.

I think that some of you do not really understand Muslim culture. In many Muslim nations, women who have had sex before marriage are outcasts. They are treated as lepers, and are not able to get married, and so they feel compelled to lie about their past if they have in fact had premarital sex.

Here in America, it is nothing like that. We don’t have to lie about our past because it is not expected that women be virgins before they get married. The whole reason that Muslim women get this surgery is because the consequences of someone finding out that you are not a virgin can mean death. At the same time, it is okay for men to have sex before marriage. If any part of this should come into question it should be why men are allowed to have sex without consequences before marriage, but women are in fear for their lives if they aren’t virgins until marriage. The double standard is what is astounding.

This is a relatively new development. I think if you went back 50 years, you would find attitudes were different. A woman who was not a virgin may not have had to fear for her life, but she might have been rejected as a potential wife.

Not to mention that the presence or not of a hymen is not proof of virginity or non virginity – nor is blood on the sheet. Not all virgins bleed and not all virgins have a hymen left when they come to their wedding bed.

Yes, but again not all men know that, and many won’t believe it even if they’re told, and some will literally kill their womenfolk if they suspect they’re not virgins on the wedding night. If the only other option is surgery, many of us, I am sure, would rather have the surgery than risk being executed, no?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.