For my cat (and my living situation)

Hi everyone,

I’m 28 years old and I got a cat when I was 14 years old. He’s attached to me, so naturally when I moved out of my mom’s house, I took him with me (I moved out of my mom’s house 8 years ago). The thing is, I have a few disabilities that make it hard to be independent (I can’t drive due to cerebral palsy and I’m hard of hearing and frankly I have severe bouts of anxiety), and because of the disabilities I can only work a limited amount of hours so I’m struggling financially too.

My cat has always been underweight (not SUPER underweight, just underweight) and he’s had a few common problems that cats have, but lately he seems to be getting more sick due to dietary issues. People think it’s because he’s getting old, but 15 isn’t THAT old for a cat. It’s “getting there” but it’s not old enough to be developing normal age-related health issues yet.

The point is, he’s been throwing up at least once a week, for the past while, and he’s more frequently getting diarrhea. And the thing is he rarely uses his litter box for pooping anyway. Unfortunately, I’ve tried to many things to get him to use his litter box and they just don’t seem to work, so I’ve just gotten used to that. But the fact that he’s now having diarrhea makes it worse. It’s very difficult for me in my situation to conveniently be able to “experiment” with new diets for him (it cost a lot of money just to get human grade food, and if he doesn’t like the first new food, I’m supposed to keep trying new foods until he finds one that he likes… but… that adds up). And the vet costs money too, and it’s a ways away from my apartment (and as mentioned, I can’t drive).

When I first moved out of my mom’s house, it seemed like a no-brainer that he would come with me (he’s really shy and skittish around anyone but me), and I’ve heard stories of cats just dying shortly after being separated from a human they’ve been attached to for so long. But I’m just not sure how effective I can be taking care of him at certain times. So I really don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Hail Mary
Full of grace
The Lord is with Thee
Blessed art Thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb
Jesus.
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of death, Amen

I am praying for the health of your dear cat.
In Jesus’ Name, Lord, please help this cat to live a good long life.
Blessed Mother, St. Joseph, St. Gertrude of Nivelles and St. Francis, please intercede.

However, please keep in mind that any cat over about age 9 or 10 is considered a “senior cat” and a cat age 14 is definitely old and could be developing age-related issues.
It is also possible that the issues are not age-related and that the cat actually has a disease such as cancer or kidney disease.
Bottom line is: Your Cat Needs to See a Good Veterinarian.
If money is an issue, see if you can find a clinic that might treat your cat at a lower cost.

I have owned or kept more than 2 dozen cats in my life as I am involved in cat rescue. I know and patronize several veterinarians, have numerous other “cat rescue” friends, and read quite a bit on cat health so I can better care for my rescues.
Please take kitty to the doctor.

I will be taking him to the vet in a week. There’s really only one vet that I can take him to and I’m stuck with whatever price that is. So I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to do a bunch of follow-ups if they’re needed.

Also, can’t cats live to be 20? That’s why I would’ve thought he’s not old enough to be developing age-related issues.

Btw, for what it’s worth, he’s very energetic and lively when he’s awake. He literally seems like a healthy cat until he randomly vomits or has diarrhea. That’s another reason I don’t think it’s an age-related issue. I wouldn’t think he’d be so energetic if he was having issues due to getting older.

Cats can live to be 20. Based on my experiences with cats, about 25 percent of indoor cats live that long.
About 25 percent of them will pass away at 14 years or younger. About 50 percent of them will pass away between about 14 and 19.

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.