for my uncle

For my uncle Graham, who died at 50 in a state mental institution in England. It just occurred to me that while for personal reasons I took it upon myself to attend to him as best as I knew how at that time (1995), he had nobody to pray for him, as I did not know to back then. At least I know that nobody else in his family did, so I pray now for the repose of his soul and his redemption from any evil, as I know from personal experience that it is possible to fall into great evil in the grip of mental and physical illness. He died of lung cancer.

I had a special connection with him from an early age as he used to visit here in America, and to remember him helps me understand a little better what happened to me in my life and why my own course in my family and in the mental health system went as it did.

Of all the people who rejoiced when my son was born, Graham’s happiness at having pictures of his sister’s grandbaby to show around gave me the most joy.

I have reproached my mother for cutting him, and me, off, as she did.

I pray for the repose of his soul and that he is rejoicing with Jesus in Heaven.

Our God please take our prayers for Graham back to the time of his illness and death.
Bless him for the good intentions and acts of his life, and give him full repentance for any sins of his life.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen

I will pray for the repose of his soul.

Hail mary full of grace
the lord is with you
blessed art thou among women
blessed is the fruit of thy womb jesus
holy mother mary pray for us sinners
now and at the time of our deaths

Lynnehelen,
Our Father knew the psyche of you dear Uncle. An unhealthy brain is not a sin as when one is in a state (psychosis) there is no rational control. Our Father gave your Uncle and as it seems some members of your family a huge, heavy cross. Carrying it the best one can and staying close to him when the brain is functioning in a reasonable healthy way is what He asks for. As Father Serpa said here many posts ago to a member. Pray for us as your prayers are most valuable (sic).

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be
done, on earth as it is in heaven Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God pray for us
sinners now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end Amen

Amen

Remembering the repose of Graham’s soul in my daily prayers. May the Lord grant comfort to the friends and family who grieve for him. God bless :console:

Praying that your Uncle Graham was at peace when he passed from this world and that his soul is now safe with God. Praying too for you, that any remaining bitterness which you feel towards your mother will be healed.

Amen

Eternal rest grant unto Graham, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him
May he rest in peace
Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.