For Orthodox Christian Children which is better?

When Homeschool & PrivateOrthodox isn’t An Option: Public, Private Roman Catholic Or Private Islamic Elementary - High SchooL?

In Our State:
Public Now Teaches HomosexualityBeginning In Kindergarten.

Catholic ShowsDrawings Of NakEd Boy & Girl In The 1St Grade & Teaches A Very Close Counterfit Of Orthodoxy.

Islam -Teaches Islam Which Can’t Be ConfusedWith Orthodoxy &Teaches Modesty.

I think I’d go with the Muslim school.

As you said, there’s no risk of confusing Islam and Roman Catholicism, or having the very real issues glossed over and your children leave thinking there’s much more in common than there really is. Plus, especially here in California, you’re more likely to get actual conservative teaching and culture at a Muslim school than a Roman Catholic, which in this state are rife with liberal positions.

However there is a much higher risk of pressure to convert from the other kids - it’s much easier to convert to Islam than Roman Catholicism. On the other hand your child is much less likely to accidentally receive a non-Orthodox Sacrament at a Muslim school. So long as you can assure your child is going to remain strong in their faith, and are able to put up with constant pressure to convert (which, really, is the same at a public or Roman Catholic school, it’s just ‘converting’ to secular humanism or to liberal Christianity) I’d say go with the Muslim school.

Would your kid be able to opt out of prayers or services? Are they going to have difficulty eating lunch during Ramadaan? I don’t know the rules about those types of things.

You might want to sign up and ask your question over at The Ancient Way forum, where you can get answers just from your Brothers and Sisters in The Faith. God Bless!

Thanks. That’s What I’Ve BeenLeaning Towards. Prayer Attendance Is Optional -AlthoughPerhaps She’d Be Able To Pray The Hours DuringTheir PrayeR Times? Ramadan…I Don’tThinkWillBe An Issue AS It’s A Credentialed/Certified/ECt. School, SoHaving A Lunch-Time Would Be Required…Although Not Eating Wouldn’t KillAnyone.

I think a public school is fine, so long as the parents are actively reviewing and if neccesary correcting the content taught at these public schools.

Read scripture and pray about this. God will not leave you to wonder on an important matter like this.

Have you considered homeschooling?

Our family homeschooled and there are so many resources available now that it’s not as difficult as one might think. and I looked into resources for Eastern Catholic education 15 years ago, and there was enough then that I imagine there is plenty out there for Orthodox children–most of what I found was Orthodox.

Are any others in your church homeschooling?

Yes, thought about it. I can’t afford to pay for full-time Daycare PLUS a Homeschooling Program since I’m not a credentialed teacher. I’d love to be a stay-at-home wife so I could give it a try (not sure I have been given that special gift of teaching), but to be a stay-at-home wife I’d have to be married and God hasn’t yet blessed me with a husband, but he has blessed me with a beautiful adopted daughter for whom I need to make an education decision.

Yes, I have an Orthodox friend back East who has home schooled all of her 8 children. She’s also a stay-at-home wife which makes Homeschooling possible.

I also have a cousin who is a credentialed teacher who is now a stay-at-home wife who home schools their 3 children. They’re Baptist. She just loves it!!!

None that I’m aware of. Although I do know of a credentialed teacher in a nearby parish who now is a stay-at-home wife and she plans to home school their daughter.

Right. But now-a-days I worry about exposing my child at such a young age 4-6 yrs old on such matters of homosexuality. For sure that’s something to be discussed at some point - probably closer to pre-teen or teen years, but the public schools in CA begin teaching homosexuality in Kindergarten - it’s just too young. Another worry for me is when after we “correct the content” at such a young age, a child wouldn’t yet have developed the common sense to not speak to her peers/teacher about the corrections which could lead to lawsuits or possible expulsion.

Well thats when you get involved personally and take your children out of those sessions where they preach that sort of propoganda.

It’s part of the curriculum.

That is a tough choice, especially since Roman Catholic schools don’t tend to be cheap. Plus there’s Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s rather disheartening remark (or at least this remark is attributed to him) about Roman Catholic Schools being places where children lose their faith.

I would be rather hesitant, however, to send a child to an Islamic school, simply because many of the ones in the States have some connections to Wahabbism.

But then public school seems to be an equally terrible choice, because there your children will be educated with a secularist agenda.

A Roman Catholic parochial school might be the best option if you can afford it (also, maybe consider an Episcopalian school). From what I’ve heard, they are normally quite accommodating for children who come from other traditions. You will just have to explain in a very gentle manner to your child how Orthodoxy differs from Roman Catholicism or from the Episcopal Church. You will probably also have to explain to your child how to act respectfully while not completely participating in the services of other faith groups (i.e., that communing and joint prayer is an act which proceeds from the unity of faith, which is why communing with Roman Catholics or Episcopalians is not allowed by the canons), in case chapel services are strongly encouraged or mandatory.

Have you tried asking your priest and other parents that attend you church? None of the options are encouraging and I can understand how homeschooling would be difficult as a single parent. BTW, I did HS in California for awhile before we left the state and you are not required to be credentialed to homeschool. You can register as a private school with one student. I’m pretty sure that hasn’t changed.

Of the options, it is the most expensive and presently outside of my budget. Larger student to teacher ratio than public schools. I also am concerned since it’s so close, but not Orthodoxy that it could be confusing or cause pressure for conversion.

The cost fits within my budget and even will give it a little wiggle room. Small student to teacher ratio than public schools. The particular school I have in mind is mainstream American Sunni, Wahabists would probably considered it not Islamic enough. But you are right, it is easier to “convert” to Islam - on the other hand, when you have to defend your Faith from something completely different, it often makes your personal Faith stronger.

Yes, Public School is really more & more off my radar of a viable education choice with the Bathrooms & Locker Rooms now being “Transgender” boys can enter girls or visa versa without warning or punishment, in addition to what I mentioned before.

A Bishop from the Serbian Orthodox Church will be at a local Pan-Orthodox Young Adults Group this week and we’re supposed to all get a chance to ask him questions. I do plan on asking him, if it seems appropriate and if I get the opportunity.

I expect to meet other parents within the coming year as Sunday School starts up.

I know you can usually do it through a Home School Program with credentialed teachers who oversee it to make it legal.

I’m not sure you have to have an overseeing credentialed teacher either, 1Tim215Mommy, but the point seems moo because it doesn’t seem to be an option. As others have suggested, you might like to see if a homeschooling co-op might be being established in your area to educate Orthodox Children, as sort of a pre-cursor to establishing a parochial school.

I’m not sure how old your daughter is, but have you asked her her opinion? Not that it would be granted de facto, but she may not feel up to defending her faith against Muslims or Roman Catholicism, or may feel more comfortable doing so than confronting secularism. Maybe get an idea for where she is on the options?

That is only one of the ways.

Homeschoolers in California can legally use the private school affidavit ( it used to be called the R4) to homeschool, you do not have to have a teaching credential nor be under the supervision of a certified teacher if you are doing it as a private school. Basically you just fill out a form, and have a name for your school, list your children as the students and keep attendance records and teach the required subjects like math, english ect. There is no outside supervision.

And remember that compulsory education ages in CA is 6-18 so there is no need to file any paperwork until the child is 6. Just providing this so you are informed, I know your circumstances make it harder to homeschool.

:smiley: She’s nearly 2yrs old :wink:

If I go the Islam or Catholic route, I’ll have to get her in to their Pre-School as soon as she’s potty trained to ensure a space in either Elementary School. Whatever way we go, it’s for the long haul.

The Catholic route goes to the 8th grade and then I’d have to do Public School for High School because there is no way I’d be able to afford Catholic High School even if there were spots for non-Catholic girls (Dozens & Dozens of Catholic Elementary Schools in the area, but only 1 Catholic High School for girls). And the Public School in High School could get dicey with the Transgender Locker Rooms…

The Islam route goes to the 5th grade and then she can get transferred into the other Islamic School, which is a little more strict (aka a headcovering is required as part of the uniform - big whoop, we are required to wear headcovering when we go to the Russian Orthodox Church where she was baptized so I really don’t see that as being a big deal), to go to the 12th grade.

I can totally relate to wanting to avoid public school for as long as possible! Altho I have no problem with parents sending their children to schools, even public schools, because the decision for each family is different and based on their individual situations. I know some public schools are less … abrasive … than others, but the requirements in CA would certainly put me off from them.

I don’t know your situation wrt working, whether some aspects could be changed to better accomodate homeschooling. Maybe the best thing for you would be to consider talking with some of the parents who send their children to the Islamic school? Both Moslem and non-Moslem? Because then you’d have a better idea of how they handle things which might be of concern to you.

I heard on the News on the way into work today that there is an organization trying to overturn the Public School’s Lock Rooms/Shower Rooms/Bath Rooms being used by the opposite sex/Transgender - I hope they win! It still wouldn’t fix the homosexual agenda being in the curriculum starting in Kindergarten, but it would be a great step in the right direction for CA Public Schools.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.