For Protestants that think the Catholic Church is one of many good options

It seems today that the vast majority of protestants view the Catholic Church as a Christian option than why not be catholic there are so many advantages

There is one in every town in the world almost
Consistent teaching
Diversity of cultures and ways to celebrate
Endless history

I could go on for ever but it seems that if you believe the Catholic Church is a good option why not be catholic the positives are endless

For me it saved my marriage, my wife and I are in a much better place financially because we more in line with god, I spend more time with my family, I treat others better, and on and on

The Catholic “option” for Lutherans has been amplified considerably in light of the Lutheran-Catholic Dialogue, especially when it is argued that Lutherans can take holy Communion in Catholic parishes.

The reunification of the Church is occurring, thank God.

The way you’re looking at this is all wrong. While many Protestants may view that Catholic Church as an option in a limited sense, they don’t just pick out of the options based on the positives of belonging to the denomination. Which faith we choose should not be based on which faith has the most temporal positives to it.

Just as with Catholics, Protestants choose their denomination based on what they believe to be true. A Baptist may view a Pentecostal church as a valid option, but that doesn’t mean they’ll start going there just because there are free chicken dinners! They follow their consciences and go to the Church that fits most closely with their beliefs. Until they can learn to conform their beliefs to those of the Catholic Church, we don’t want them to join just for the perks!

Seeing it as an option doesn’t mean they agree with all of or even most of the beliefs that Catholics hold. It simply means that they believe Catholics (or at least some Catholics) are truly Christian and will go to Heaven. Some Protestants think that the state of being a Christian is altogether separate from the person’s denomination, and some would even argue that some Catholics are “born again Christians” in spite of the Catholic Church, not because of it.

So, basically, you’re taking the wrong approach here. We don’t want people to join the Church because it has the most benefits, and why would they? We want them to join the Church because they recognize it contains truth that the other Churches do not.

Most Protestants I meet do not think the Catholic Church is a good option. When a Protestant desires to talk to me about religion, I am quick to bring up Truth. If the Catholic Church is just another option, then truth is relative, in which case there is no such thing as Truth. When I was a Protestant, I thought I knew truth, had truth; hence, I would search for a church that believed as I believed. Afterwards, the fact that there were so many different denominations and non-denominations began to bother me. I realized that they believed differently; therefore, which one had Truth? Then I began to wonder: Would I know Truth if I was confronted by Truth? This was a great concern. I knew that there had to be a church that had all Truth. I also believed that it could not be the Catholic Church, for all Catholics were doomed. Here I am–a Catholic. Christ led me to the Catholic Church because I was searching for Truth–Him. I knew that I was not Truth, and I needed to know Truth. If we seek, we will find.

The Catholic Church is not a denomination. We leave that term for Protestants. The Catholic Church is simply, “The Church”. It is the one, the only, the original Church Christ founded. Any denomination does not have the fullness of the Faith, which is found only in The Church.

Also, many people become attached to a particular parish for a variety of reasons and may want to stay where they are comfortable. In the case of the full communion accords between Anglicans and Lutherans, there are some who convert or attend the other church and there are joint parishes. I think the eventual reunification of the Church will be a very gradual process.

How do you explain the quote below from the Lutheran-Catholic Dialogue?

Catholics would say they confess the Church they are participating full members of, while Lutherans are members by virtue of their baptism but have unwittingly separated themselves due to the deviations of their forefathers.

In essence, Lutherans are confessing the Catholic Church while being members by baptism but imperfectly united.

That may be an explanation especially considering the convergence of communing Lutherans at Catholic altars but the Dialogue stops short of recommending Catholics go to Mass in a Lutheran church.

The Dialogue does recommend the following:

The Church as Koinonia of Salvation: Its Structures and Ministries

1. We recommend that our churches recognize the real but imperfect communion among our ministers and encourage appropriate forms of pastoral collaboration between our ministries. Specifically, we propose:

that common activities among Lutheran and Roman Catholic bishops be promoted in order to signify the level of communion that exists between them, such as regular joint retreats, co-authored pastoral letters on topics of mutual concern, and joint efforts on matters of public good;

that mutual activities be intensified among ordained ministers, such as regular retreats, homily or sermon preparation study, participation in non-eucharistic prayer services and weddings, and common sponsorship of events or services in the life of the church, including as appropriate other leadership ministries;

that the faithful, in light of their common baptism into the people of God, engage together in catechesis, evangelization, peace and justice ventures, social ministry, and attendance at each other’s diocesan and synodical assemblies; and

that social ministry organizations, educational institutions, chaplaincies, and other church agencies engage together in activities that further the gospel and the common good.
usccb.org/beliefs-and-tea…-salvation.cfm

Your link is not working.

The Church As Koinonia Of Salvation: Its Structures And Ministries

The Dialogue also states:

This dialogue also recognizes that we are not proposing to settle all of the church-dividing issues before us. We have not attempted to resolve the important ecclesiological issues of the ordination of women or the authority by which such a decision is made, nor the full meaning of apostolic succession in ordained ministry and how we might be reconciled. We have not addressed the level of communion in ministries and structures that would be necessary for even interim Eucharistic communion. We are, however, convinced that the clarifications and research represented by this text make an important contribution in the stages toward reconciling these and other elements along the path toward full communion.

(Emphasis mine)

There is a lot to be worked on still.

Sorry: usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/ecumenical/lutheran/koinonia-of-salvation.cfm

No worries, I included the link as well :slight_smile:

Once there is intercommunion between Lutherans and Catholics it will mark the full circle of the Reformation. Luther is a Catholic.

Yes there is.
Mary.

I don’t think the catholic church would ever be an option for me

That’s what I thought about 4-5 years ago…

Not anymore :signofcross:

:thumbsup:

It is not fair to those non-catholic Christians and non-Christian faith’s of which the Catholic Church speaks of; “due to no fault of their own”, have been falsely taught or have heard prejudiced, bias, negative views of the Catholic Church including incorrect and flat out wrong opinions of the Catholic Church’s teachings,

This is the stumbling block for all those “due to no fault of their own” that has to be overcome by them first; before finally having the freedom and will to learn from the Catholic Church with ears to hear and eyes to see the Truth of Jesus Christ is in His mystical body the Catholic Church.

It proves difficult to these (non-catholics) when they are holding to false views of the Catholic Church, without learning first what the Catholic Church actually teaches and is living out the true apostolic faith unchanged, while non-catholics are holding to false opinions of the Church.

Those with a sincere heart who seeks Truth Himself by exercising his/her God given freedom and free will, by letting go of their held prejudiced, bias views of the Catholic Church taught by men outside of the Catholic Church, empower themselves to seek Jesus in the Pillar and bulwark of Truth the Catholic Church. When they are given the ears to hear and the eyes to see what God has revealed, not what man reveals.

Protestantism have lost their God given freedom and free will, when they hold to every wind of doctrine that comes from man instead of God. But “due to no fault of their own” remain out of communion with the one Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.

I as a Catholic in my journey of faith, exercised my freedom and will, by learning from many different protestant denominations to hear their teachings first hand, yet neither of them ever quenched my thirst for Truth. One of many reasons why the protestant teachings never quenched my thirst was mainly due to the fact that their theology comes from the mind of men and not from God.

That is why the Catholic Church is never a denomination, nor can she ever be one church united to independent federation of church’s. Because her teachings were given to her by God incarnate Himself. The Catholic Church is never founded by men. She can never add or subtract from the revelations of God,

The Catholic Church is never an option to choose a faith community among diverse protestant faith communities as if to compare her to other protestant faiths. When the true protestant faith’s departed from her, leaving the protestant descendants by no fault of their own rejecting or holding to a false view of the Catholic Church.

Protestants as strong and faithful as many are in Christ,are encouraged to continue to exercise their freedom and free will without prejudices and seek Jesus Christ in the Catholic Church as we of the Catholic faithful love them back to full communion. It is easier said than done, but for God all things are possible.

Always giving thanks to our Father; through the power of the Spirit who purifies our hearts and strengthens us in Love, during this Lenten Season, may we abstain from what we do not really need and help our brothers and sisters in distress. May we bear the wounds of your Son, for through his body he gave us life. ( Wed. 4th week of Lenten daily morning prayer; Liturgy of hours)

Peace be with you

Adamski, there’s a lot to love in the virtues you posted, and it’s true that Lutherans don’t get worked up when a Lutherans goes Rome or Constantinople, but from a Lutheran standpoint there’s some really valid reasons to stay.

While not discounting the Catholic experience, as I appreciate the Catholic church very much, but being a Lutheran doesn’t leave me wanting in any way. And even more annoyingly for the idea of trying to pry Lutherans away - almost all the virtues of the Catholic church are available to me save the sacraments.

I have no sense of loss on the size of the church - and I find that our church fits with what I would expect to find by reading the gospel - that we will be persecuted, reviled, and outcast.

I appreciate the Lutheran theology that is a tremendous source of comfort, and I appreciate the small-church that took me from my agnostic self and placed me facing the cross.

The individuals of the church are also my family - I have a role to play in their spiritual direction, and they have in mine.

I think of the Catholic Church as one of the very FEW options that I have. If only I could be a Roman-Luthorthodox. I continue to pray and study. Thanks for everyone’s help and prayers at CAF as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.