for Protestants: Why do Catholics convert?

Dear Protestants: In your experience with former Catholics, what are the main reasons why they leave the Catholic fold for one of your denominations?

1. They don’t see how to live one or more Catholic teachings.
  2. They were abused in a way they consider connected with Catholicism.
  3. They married outside of the Catholic fold and went with the spouse.
  4. They wanted a more open worship experience.
  5. They were told Catholicism is incorrect and they eventually agreed.
  6. Protestants were more inviting.

I only know a few. The answer I keep getting from one in our church is that “Catholics don’t know Jesus.” Many lapsed Catholics I know become lapsed Christians and even apostates, many decrying the “horrid treatment” they got in a private Catholic school. They are crybabies though, because there are many things worse than getting slapped on the knuckles with a ruler :-).

Pax Christi,

Chris Heren

Led by the Holy Spirit in many cases…

Catholics convert for many reasons. There should be a concurrent poll on why Protestants such as myself end up in Catholicism.

I personally feel that many people leave Catholicism for reasons that have nothing to do with Catholicism. Often Catholics leave because they confuse a caricature of the RCC with the actual Church. It’s easy to see why this happens because being a Protestant is just simply easier and requires less of a person than the historical Faith.

I still have many friends and relatives in the evangelical world and think God works in both places. It’s just that Catholics and the Orthodox are the Marines of the Body of Christ and Protestants are the Civil Air Patrol. :wink:

Now THAT’S an interesting analogy… :slight_smile:

All of the Catholics that have left my church have been males and they married a non-catholic and started to the spouses church to appease the wife. The parents of these boys have confirmed this since I have made it my business to contact these parents since it is my personal goal to keep Catholics Catholic.

I actually work with one of the sons. He also happen to marry a divorcee.

Hi,
The ones I know say they were lied to about what salvation realy is and how to obtain it.

One person told me that they asked a nun what they had to do to get to heaven and the nun said just be a good girl.:eek:

Ultimately though they said their eyes were opened and they were not spiritually blind anymore.

Just what I was told

Reminds me of the the serpent in the Garden of Eden…

Sound more like a judgment to me.

I don’t think this is a good reason to bring up and it doesn’t deserve to have an eek image :eek:

Seriously, you have to know when the person asked the nun, how much time they spent on the topic, what the nun was doing at that time, etc …

Why didn’t you asked that person about how she replied to the nun? how about “how could I become a good girl?” Would the person just walked away after asking the question? Would she spend some more time to find out more?

Did you ask that person more questions or that was all you got? If that is all you know, then it is not a good reason to bring it up.

I hope you got what I was trying to say.:wink:

Ok, maybe I’m missing something. What’s wrong with telling a young (I’m guessing by the answer) girl that she can get to Heaven by being good? Would you read St Thomas Aquinas to her? It’s a little more than she’s ready for, no?

Truely, though, there are many spiritually dead Catholics out there and if becoming Protestant brings them closer to Christ then AMEN I say. Go and love God!

My husband and I both left the church 3 years ago. My husband and I are both pro-life Democrats. We voted for John Kerry. That made us not welcome in the church.

Did you mean you support “Pro - choice” as in supporting “Abortions”?

Anyhow, you are welcome to explain further what was happening that you have decided to leave the church?

The Church supports pro-life.

I am PRO-LIFE! These exchange is the exact reason we left.

The Catholic Church opposes Abortion. John Kerry is Catholic, or I would say a caferia Catholic because he pick and choice what is acceptable to him.

One Bishop in DC, you can’t be Catholic and be Pro-Choice. Sen. Kerry is admits he is Pro-Choice…

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states;

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.

God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes.

2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. “A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae,” “by the very commission of the offense,” and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

2322 From its conception, the child has the right to life. Direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, is a “criminal” practice (GS 27 § 3), gravely contrary to the moral law. The Church imposes the canonical penalty of excommunication for this crime against human life.

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

Prenatal diagnosis is morally licit, “if it respects the life and integrity of the embryo and the human fetus and is directed toward its safe guarding or healing as an individual. . . . It is gravely opposed to the moral law when this is done with the thought of possibly inducing an abortion, depending upon the results: a diagnosis must not be the equivalent of a death sentence.”

My Priest makes this statement every year before the elections:

“If you vote for a “Pro-Choice” candidate, you are not in good standing with the Catholic Church”

Whether this true or not, I don’t know.

Mannyfit75, We have left the church!! We understand that the opinion of many is that we can’t be Catholic. That is why we LEFT and took our three children with us. I hope that makes you feel good.

Yes you did left the Church.

You can you be more specific why you left? Was it because the Catholic laymen who did not like the fact that you voted for Kerry, or you disagreement with the teachings of the Church?

I’m sorry you were made to feel unwelcome in the Church. What made you feel that way?

You’re pro-life :clapping:

I’m sure that there are tens of millions of Catholics who sympathise with the Democratic party. The legal protection of life, however, is an overriding issue, so that’s probably why many Catholics disagreed with your vote, even though many of them probably weren’t at all satisfied with the alternative they themselves voted for.

The Church doesn’t endorse any political party, but it condemns certain positions, and abortion is condemned most vigorously because of the sheer number of lives that it takes - in excess of one million a year in the US. The Democratic party, whilst proposing policies with which a Catholic may freely agree or disagree, has a disproportionate number of pro-choice politicians, of which John Kerry was one.

I hope you do return to the Church one day, and you won’t let such a thing as a political grievance permanently separate you from Christ’s Church.

I am going to start a new thread on this.

Go for it. :thumbsup:

We are trailing off slowly… as usual.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.