For the first time since the Great Schism, ecumenical patriarch to attend pope's inaugural Mass [AN]

The metropolitans of Argentina and Italy will accompany Bartholomew. Moscow Patriarchate hopes in closer cooperation with Rome but excludes for now a meeting between Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill.

More…

This is pretty big…

Great news!

Wonderful news! I will be praying!!

The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend Pope Francis’s inaugural Mass. The Ecumenical Patriarchate Press Office informed about the decision, noting that this is the first time such an event occurs since the Catholic-Orthodox split in 1054

This is major :sad_yes:

When I read that he was ordinary for Eastern Catholics in Argentina for 15 years, I knew good things would happen :slight_smile:

Surely also a result of the great work done by Papa Benedictus Sextus Decimus. :thumbsup:

The Holy Spirit was indeed very strong at this Conclave. Great News for all Christians.

Wow, just wow.

Praise God. Can we dare hope for reunion? :signofcross:

We can certainly hope for a reunion with the Ecumenical Patriarch. It’s not clear who would be chosen to replace him after his perceived apostasy.

A few years ago Bartholomew was planning to host a Great and Holy Council of the Orthodox Churches in 2013. Not surprisingly, that plan quickly ran aground. It will be ironic if the biggest event on his calendar this year turns out to be a papal inauguration.

Absolutely.

This news just gave me happy chills.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.