For the grace to overcome scrupulosity and to get my work done

I am trying to get my work done for school because of a huge deadline on Friday as well as a wedding I need to go to, but I am really having difficulty with my mental stability. I had this incredible sense of deeper conversion last week and a sense that God was guiding me, and after I sinned in anger yesterday I feel dry and desolate. I went to confession this morning and my regular confessor gave me absolution, and told me that I was overreacting to what happened yesterday, but then I sinned by overeating later today and since then I have been ruminating on whether I need to go to confession again. I feel ashamed, embarrassed and exasperated. I don’t want to wear out my confessor, and I’m trying to get my work done.
If you could pray for me that I could discern whether this truly was a mortal sin, and if I would be able to get my work done and perservere in loving God in this small trial, I would really appreciate it.

St. Alphonsus, please pray for this person.

Prayer to Our Lady of Mental Peace:

O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility and
Mother of Hope,
look upon me in this time
of disquiet and weakness.

Still my restless spirit,
teach my searching heart to know
that God’s love for me
is unchanging and that the suffering
which He may will for me now
is to draw me closer to Him.

Let thy gentle peace and His —
which the world cannot give —
be always with me, that I may
be sanctified: and then:
I beseech thee
for the grace to bring this
peace to others.

Jesus, My Savior, I give myself
entirely to Thee through Mary:

Our Lady of Mental Peace,
pray for me!

I also wanted to add that in a moment of self-disgust I punched my temple, which is now causing me to think I do need to go to confession again even though I went this morning. The reason I am confused about this is that I did it in an instant and didn’t choose it after any real reflection. I can end up vacillating between “it wasn’t a mortal sin” and “it was a mortal sin” and I am ashamed of going to the same confessor with this after only having gone this morning. I know that avoiding embarrassment isn’t worth going to hell over, but I wish that there could be some way of knowing for certain if I need to go to confession or not.

I feel for you, and I fervently prayed for you.
Here is something to ponder on:

“Walk in the way of the LORD with simplicity and DO NOT torment your spirit. You must hate your defects, but with a quiet hate, NOT troublesome and restless.”
-Padre Pio

The fact that we sin should not lead us to despair. If you are opening your heart to GOD, seeking His will in all things, then you should accordingly put your defects in His hands as well. We should trust Him with the progress of our own souls—never be despairing.

I think this reflection was written by a priest. I really hope you would take this to heart. I will continue to pray for you. GOD bless!

Come, Holy Spirit, Divine Creator, true source of light and fountain of wisdom! Pour forth your brilliance upon my dense intellect, dissipate the darkness which covers me, that of sin and of ignorance. Grant me a penetrating mind to understand, a retentive memory, method and ease in learning, the lucidity to comprehend, and abundant grace in expressing myself. Guide the beginning of my work, direct its progress, and bring it to successful completion. This I ask through Jesus Christ, true God and true man, living and reigning with You and the Father, forever and ever.

Amen.

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. x10

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.