For the scrupulous

I see too many threads on here with very non-deserving people tortured with the idea that they might be damned due to common, venal sin.

I just want to tell the scrupulous out there that you are LOVED and God understands the battle we fight. The mercy of God is such a vast ocean that a single tear of sin dissapears in less than an instant!!!

Let’s pray for those who suffer with this cross. I’m sure it can be a terrible burden!!

St. Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle
Defend ourselves from the wickedness and snares of the Devil
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray
And do thou, oh Prince of the Heavenly Host
And by the Power of God, cast into Hell Satan and all the evil Spirits
Who prowl about the world, seeking the ruin of souls

Amen!!

Absolutely.

But scrupulosity is not a cross. A cross is a gift from God, something to be accepted, embraced and borne for love of God, as Christ accepted and embraced his own Cross for love of us.

Scrupulosity is an unwelcome burden, not of God’s will and is not something to be accepted and borne; it is not a cross. It is something to be absolutely despised and thrown by the roadside. This is not a suffering God wants of any of us, unlike the other trials and illnesses of life. This is why a sufferer MUST obey his/her regular confessor unconditionally. Most other sufferings can be borne for love of God and the salvation of souls. Not this one. It should be absolutely rejected.

Praying with all for all.

Actually it is a cross. It is is simply a cross that one is to seek very actively to not have anymore! Via - a regular confessor (and principles he can give one for ones difficulties - and even at times other helps). It is something that one is to actively set about removing and avoiding the causes etc. God wants one to combat scruples -not to hold on to them.

But while they struggle to overcome this difficulty - it is also something they may offer up as a cross.

I will re-post another older post of mine (general information regarding scrupulosity)

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a* “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles* to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience).

Thus with their direction they can “dismiss scruples” (in the older language despise them) - “act against them”.

Scruples are to be dismissed ~ not argued with.

To borrow and image from a Carthusian from centuries ago: Scruples *are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? * No one keeps walking.

Such ‘obedience’ to a regular confessor who knows of ones scruples (except in what is manifest sin - such as if he told them it was ok to murder someone or something certain like that) is key. Such is the age old practice.

Also counseling -(especially if one also has OCD) could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/)

Here is post from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/6-tools-for-the-scrupulous

If you’re scrupulous, I hope these links will provide help to stop scruples:

If you’re scrupulous, strict obedience to this list will help:
spiritualdirection.com/2009/07/14/the-ten-commandments-of-scrupulosity

This one is very good, it was composed by the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter:
olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/Scrupulosity_7.15_.12_.pdf

The Catholic Encyclopedia on scrupulosity:
catholic.com/encyclopedia/scruple

Meditating on heaven, having devotion to Mary, reading more on the Church’s teachings to clear doubts about what is a sin and what isn’t, reading Catholic writings about humility, and reading about saints (and making them your patrons) who suffered from scruples will all help you.

God bless

No, it is not a cross.

You bear a cross willingly. It is a gift from God. You do not reject a cross. You have cancer and are dying, that is a cross. You have a flu and you take your meds, that is a cross.

Scrupulosity, however, is not a gift. No one should bear scrupulosity ever. It must be cast off, thrown down, stomped on and rejected outright. If there be one evil in the world, it is scrupulosity. Perhaps some may offer the anguish you suffer as a cross, but the scruples themselves are not, the condition is not. I would try to distinguish the pain from the scruples, but for many people, it’s one and the same, I would not force this distinction on them. I would allow them to consider both the scruples and the pain an evil to be absolutely spurned and cast aside. It is not a cross because you must reject it. And you do not reject a cross.

Yes it is a cross. Something can be a cross and still worked against - still not wanted.

That does not mean that one is not to act against such - and work to over come it! One yes is to do exactly that. And in so far as one still experiences such - it is a cross - and can be offered as such. All the while doing what one is to do (following ones regular confessors direct etc in working to overcome the difficulty).

It is a cross. It is is simply a cross that one is to seek very actively to not have anymore! Via - a regular confessor (and principles he can give one for ones difficulties - and even at times other helps). It is something that one is to actively set about removing and avoiding the causes etc. God wants one to combat scruples -not to hold on to them.

But while they struggle to overcome this difficulty - it is also something they may offer up as a cross.

Even physical illness - say cancer -can be said to be a cross. One both works against it (treatment) and also offers up the suffering etc.

So you want cancer? So you want the flu?

No.

One accepts that one has cancer …or the flu…and yes a person with scruples accepts that they have scruples - they accept these various kinds of “crosses”…while at the same time doing what they ought in working against them - such as treatment for cancer…flu medication…working with a regular confessor to act against scruples…etc. (see other post for more).

One accepts the suffering…for as long at it continues…one can offer it up as they say…for as long as it continues…while at the same time working to be free of such …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.