? For those of you who grew up Protestant

I wish to prepare myself, what are some good books (or sites) with material that will answer questions from friends and family “Is the RCC really Christian?” I ask that before you suggest anything, keep in mind, I need well thought LOVING answers because these are answers I will be giving to people I love. Grace and Peace.

The best thing to do is include your family in your journey of conversion as far as they are comfortable with it.

They may not be interested in the details, but at the same time, don’t “spring” a decision like this on them two days before your Confirmation ceremony - this is not likely to get good results.

When you are thinking of starting RCIA, say to your family members and loved ones, “I am thinking of taking a class on the Catholic Church, to find out more. I have always wondered what they really believe, because you hear so many odd things.”

As time goes on, you can say things like, “The RCC seems to fit my spirituality - I could live like this, I think.” “I find the lives of the Saints to be very intriguing.” “I like that the Mass is the same all over the world - it makes me feel connected to something that is bigger than me when I go.” “I like that little saying they have - Faith Seeking Understanding. It fits how I like to think of my relationship with God.”

By the time you actually tell them that you are converting (hopefully some time around Christmas), they will have already “seen it coming” (because you were showing them and including them) and they’ll be all smug and saying “I knew you would!”

Let them have their moment. Don’t spoil it by explaining to them that you were building them up to it - that you had actually made the decision months ago. :wink:

My wife is with me 100%, however she will remain Presbyterian (since I already go to an Episcopal Church she can’t tell much of a difference):wink: , seriously, I am almost 40, I DO want the support of my family, however, given the direction TEC is going I know I am am doing the right thing, I shall make no apology in that regard, but yes, your thoughts are good, I will be giving an RCIA form in the morning (my wife will come to Mass with me:D ), but yes! If I hand Fr. K this RCIA form, I will keep, my family up to speed on “where I am” it will be a case by case basis, to be honest, there are only a handful of true “fundamentalist” in my family, they will be distant (like I say, I am nearly 40, so, not to be brutal but fine) some, the Methodist and others really might not care at all. It will take Prayer, those who want no part in it, I will not “burden” those who are curious, I will talk to. Grace and Peace.

Upon This Rock
Where Is That In The Bible?

Those are two books that may help.

Matthew Chapter 16:
15 Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am? 16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. 20 Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ.

Thank you.:slight_smile:

Along with the other great suggestions you’ve been given:
The Library here at Catholic Answers has some fantastic articles. I also happen to love the Scripture Catholic website, and the CDs (or MP3 downloads) from the Bible Christian Society. The CD “One Church” was the burning bush moment for me, that gave me a hefty push towards the Catholic Church. There’s also a handy 2-Minute Apologetics section that might prove useful to you.

Cool! I am getting all sorts of good stuff! I had a Keating book, I am not sure what I did with it…:blush: sometimes I lose stuff!:eek:

I have never had ANYONE ask me such questions.

In general, to keep the peace, so to speak, I would suggest avoiding any reference that stresses “This is why/where Catholocism is right and Protestants are wrong”.

Exactly!:slight_smile:

“Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic” by David Currie, “Crossing The Tiber” by ??? (I gave my copy to a friend), the “Surprised By Truth” books (edited) by Patrick Madrid, and ANYTHING written by Scott Hahn. It depends on how you’re trying to explain it too. If you want to see the Church in Sacred Scripture, Hahn and Currie (both used to be hard-core Protestant ministers) are good; if you want to read an incredibly well-documented work delving into what the early Church Fathers believed regarding such topics as Baptism and the Eucharist, “Crossing The Tiber” is a gem; if you want to read a litany of conversion stories from others who made the pilgrimage to Rome, read the “Surprised By Truth” books.

I actually made the swim across the Tiber myself a couple years ago, so I know exactly what you’re going through with the whole “how will my Protestant friends and family react?” thing. The others who have already posted have some great advice, so stick to that and LOTS of prayer. Keep running the good race…

Thank you! Since you know “where” I am now remember to pray for me!:cool:

Stephen Ray. :slight_smile: He also has an excellent book on the papacy, Upon This Rock. :thumbsup: (Though I would have to say the most comprehensive book on the topic of the papacy is Jesus, Peter and the Keys.)

You may get a question about doctrines. My hubby( DH ) dear husband, said yesterday as he is christian not Catholic. You know I was reading the bible and doctrines are just christian teachings it says in the bible. I said thank you dear.:slight_smile: Peace to you too!

:slight_smile: Good answer. Pithy!

I’m digging in to the book Why Do Catholics Do That? at the moment and enjoying it so very much.

It has actually proved to be the starting point for some great, loving, and very interactive discussions I’ve recently had with my mom (Lutheran), who is sloooowly coming around to the idea of my conversion to Catholicism.

Good luck! We’re in similar boats!

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic

by David Currie

Written out of love. He wrote this so that when his children grow up they will be able to understand why he broke with family tradition (his father and grandfather were Protestant ministers) and converted to Catholicism.

Good stuff.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.