For those struggling with faith

“I believe, Lord. Help the little faith I have.” [Mark 9:25]
“You believe because you have seen me. Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.” [John 20:25] “Do not be afraid, only have faith.” “Everything is possible for anyone who has faith.” [Mark 5:36, 9:24

If anyone makes requests of God, *“who gives to all freely and ungrudgingly; it will be given to him. But he must ask with faith, and no trace of doubt, because a person who has doubts is like waves thrown up in the sea when the wind drives.” [James 1:5-6]
If anyone has “faith in God…with no hesitation in his heart, but believing that what he says will happen, it will be done for him: I tell you therefore: everything you ask and pray for, believe that you have it already and it will be yours.” [Mark 11:24]

O God, I humbly implore…
In my lack of trust, let me live faith.
In my disappointment, let me live hope.
In my bleakness, let me live joy.
In the emptiness of my heart, let me live love.
In my deprivations, let me value what is precious before You.
In my weakness and illness, grant me spiritual health.
In my anger and resentment, let me live generosity and forgiveness.
In my detachment, let me live community.
In the difficulties of commitment, let me be dedicated.
In my failures, let Your Spirit bless and heal.
In my successes, let Your will be served.
In human reality, let me live spiritual wisdom.
In maturity, let me become true child of the Father.
In my individuality, let me live in Eucharistic communion.
In the kind and warm things that I try to do, let Your grace flow.
In the confusion of my life, in my striving and good intentions
—regardless of my doubts, mistakes and infirmities, let me fully live Your will in vibrant, humble trust.

PRAYER FOR A MATURE FAITH

Lord, I wish to believe in You.

Let my faith be full and unreserved,
and let it penetrate my thought,
my way of judging Divine things and human things.

Let my faith be free.
Let my faith be strong;
let it not fear the difficulties or the problems
of which the experience of our life,
eager for light, is full;
let it not fear the hostility of those who question it,
attack it, reject it, deny it,
but let it be strengthened in the intimate proof of Your truth;
let it resist the attack of criticism.

Let my faith be joyful and give peace and gladness to my spirit,
and dispose it for prayer with God and conversation with all.

Amen.

ACT OF FAITH
O my God, who are infallible Truth and can neither deceive nor be deceived, I firmly believe all that you have revealed and propose to my belief though your holy Church, because you have revealed it. I believe that you are one in nature and three in Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that you are the Creator of all things and that you reward the just for all eternity in heaven and punish the wicked for all eternity in hell. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God made man, that he suffered and died for my sins and rose from the dead in glory, and that it is only in him through the Holy Spirit that eternal life is given to us . I believe in all that your holy Church believes. I thank you for having called me to the true faith, and I propose that with the help of your grace I will live and die in this holy faith. Amen.

Amen! to the prayers above.

Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief. (I believe that is from St. Augustine.)

A PRAYER FOR
FAITHFULNESS TO MY RELIGION

O Lord, I pray for the grace and the strength
to remain faithful to your teachings
and to the sacramental life of the Church.
Help me to persevere in the commitments
and promises I have made to you.
Give me the fortitude to live up to the vocation
I received in my baptism,
to the duties derived from my confirmation in the Spirit,
and to the graces received in the other sacraments.

Help me to place love of God and service to Him
before all else
and help me to bring selfless love
to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Amen.

“I am the resurrection. If anyone believes in me, even though he dies he will live, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” [John 6:29]
“You will be able to appear before Him holy, pure and blameless—as long as you persevere and stand firm on the solid base of the faith, never letting your self drift away from the hope promised by the Good News.”
[Colossians 1:22-23]
“Faith comes through hearing and what is heard is the word of Christ.” [Romans 10:17] *
“You have little faith. I tell you solemnly, if your faith were the size of a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, ‘Move,’ and it would move; nothing would be impossible to you.” *[Matthew 21:21-22]
“If you have faith and do not doubt at all…it will be done.” [Matthew 21:21]

Glory to God for people of faith

God, I joyfully bless You for all people of faith throughout the centuries! I bless You for those who never doubt Your love and action! I bless You for those who never reproach You for Your mysterious ways! I honour You for those who live in humble joyful harmony with Your will. I praise You for the multitudes of saints! I honour You for those who live in Your love even though they do not believe in You.

I ask pardon for doubts and anxieties that indicate my lack of “perfect love which casts out all fear”. Grant me buoyant faith that You bring all things to good! I wish I never feared that You are less vigilant than I desire for my loved ones, and for anyone in need. Like Job, I ask Your forgiveness and enlightenment for my doubts.

Take my “heart of stone” and fill it with tenderness, courage, and love. Revive my joy and hope so that I reveal Your face to others. Draw to Yourself all my dear ones and everyone for whom I should intercede.

Delight Yourself in me by the trust and goodness, the humility and grace that You nurture within my being and theirs. Thereby may we fulfil Your will and dream in our lives, to the glory of Your merciful love.

Trust
Eternal Father, we cannot endure prolonged or severe spiritual desolation without Your support. Please comfort us, and increase our faith.

Jesus suffered doubt as we do when He cried out, “My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?” We unite our doubt with His, for You look with silent pity and unspeakable love on Your Son. You know that Jesus, though sinless, chose to suffer with us, drinking the cup of our unloving choices.

Jesus, You say to me, “Take up your cross and follow Me!” “If you love me, keep my commandments.” I fix my eyes upon the bright scars of Your ransom for me. Why did You suffer so terribly for me who even now remain unconverted? Yet Your wounds, Your hands, Your heart and Your word are filled with promises that You desire to fulfil in me and in others.

Give us strength to bear doubt when it comes, our God, so that with Jesus we can say, “Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit”, thus joining with Him to death of unbelief and sin—into freedom of rising with Him into the glory of the redeemed spirit.

I offer You my only coin—trust against all appearances, hope despite my heartache, and faith despite my sins and flaws. Mercifully accept this meagre offering and open Your treasure house of love to me and my loved ones, and to those whom You wish to serve through me.

NICENE CREED
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth of all that is seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father. Through Him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation He came down from heaven; by the power of the Holy Spirit He was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered died, and was buried. On the third day He rose in fulfillment of the Scriptures; He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son He is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Praying for wisdom and faith.

Holy God, we cannot grasp how awesome and incomprehensible are Your truths. We mistake our conceptions regarding You as the essence of the reality that they fail to encapsulate. Human Reason cannot make sense of God becoming subject to obedience, humility, selflessness and suffering, in love for His creatures! Thus, while we seek You, we are required to trust as little children.

We can only suspect a flicker of the magnitude of this God through His Creation of a stunningly vast universe containing massive expanding galaxies in an immensity of space. Yet, God of such greatness, You also create the fragile intricacy of tiny insects and the worlds of microscopic lifeforms in their intrinsic perfection! Holy God, open our minds and hearts to the supreme greatness and the sublime mystery of Your works!

From our tiny planet, so important to us but insignificant amongst the countless orbits of the universe, we dare to say ‘our God’ and ‘our Father’ in contemplating the Creator of all these marvels and capable of unknown wonders inconceivable to us. Perhaps the greatest wonder, however, is the love and mercy You show to Your human creatures on this planet, Earth!

All things are held in being in continuous creation within You. Yet, to our knowledge, only human creatures dare to sin. You require of us a life of charity and justice, of prayer and self-denial, of trust and faithfulness during our earthly existence—in promise of everlasting union with the everlasting I AM WHO AM, which is Yourself. Slow to trust, we are reluctant to accept sacred Your dream and plan for us as individuals and as community. The choice to reject or accept is ours.

Yet many people habitually accept Your revelations and promises with spasmodic attention or with vague complacency. Before so great a God, the purest human zeal and the highest knowledge and goodness are as nothing. How intense should be our gratitude before the wonder of our relation to You. How great our repentance should be before the arrogance of neglecting our Creator’s laws and astonishing mercy! Holy God please lead us through awareness, repentance and rebirth into continuing spontaneity of response to Your creative love!

So that we in our unworthiness may be saved and made whole, through Your mercy the seeming-impossible occurs. The eternal Son of God enters the limitations of created time and matter. He assumes fully our humanity, while also retaining His infinite divinity. With His humble, obedient life as human being, He bridges the immeasurably vast difference between God and creature for all humankind!

In our disobedience and ingratitude, our God, You have not destroyed us, but have become for us—a defenceless infant…a humble labourer…a man murdered by Your chosen people. You have become for all time, food to be assimilated into the functions of the human body and soul of mere creatures, devout and lukewarm alike. You have become bread to be tabernacled in centuries of neglect before multitudes of unbelievers and of apathetic followers…cherished only by Your true friends. Yet even these have not lived without offence against You, excepting one pure woman, chosen as Mother—for the Son did not enter our nature in resplendence as a magnificent adult but as a helpless embryo!

What is this humility, this faith, this patience, this obedience, this compassion that You show us, infinite God! We are proud, stubborn, untrusting and wayward, yet Your mercy remains open to endless human insult, for within time it is always subject to our personal acceptance or rejection. Repeatedly, You reiterate Your love and mercy in our hearts and through other persons. You reiterate them through Scripture and ministry of the Church, source of grace, sacrament and wisdom established by the Son to fulfil His promise to remain always with us.

Our God, who are You who so loves His ungrateful, ignorant, unworthy creatures! Behold the humility of eternal, infinite God, to love and desire us who are enmeshed in egoism that alienates us from each other and You! We begin to suspect the smallness of our vision, the confusion of our understanding, and the flawed nature of our enthroned Reason, with its inability to cope with these unfathomable, paradoxical truths.

Should we, in contemplating such things, wonder at human suffering! We begin to appreciate Jesus’ warning that unless one becomes as a little child one cannot enter God. We also begin to understand some of the causes of difficulties within our human condition, of the conflicts and miseries of our world, and of the corruption of our society in social and personal injustice and discord.

We may regret or resent these global difficulties and evils, and our personal sufferings. We seek to evade them and to avoid discipline of our sensuality and materialism that bind us from the Spirit of God in our lives. We cling to our bonds although we are created for the freedom of eternal union with You our almighty Creator, despite the redeeming anguish, love, humility and submission of God incarnate in His forging of our bridge to You.

Yet should we not welcome that where You permit, we are tested in faith, labour and suffering to loosen excessive attachment to our limited mortal existence! Our need of You is often diverted into search for material satisfaction that increases our frustration and confirms our failure to love others and You truly.

When we choose against God, we curtail the working of Your grace in our lives. This choice draws disaster upon us in the form of injustice, intolerance, loneliness, immorality and war. If we then resent and blame You, we mock ourselves, because You owe us nothing, but offer all. Should it surprise us that sin brings retribution? Should we wonder why we endure natural disasters, when we betray the Creator of all things?

We are often aggrieved at the suffering of innocents, but answer lies in the racked body of the sinless Saviour. Jesus hangs dying in grief and pain to expiate the offences of all human persons for our eternal salvation. Through Jesus, lead us into childlike faith and cheerful daily acceptance of our vocations with their satisfactions and their difficulties.

Give us the spirit of the child whom You wish each to be as we say, “Here I am. Your will be done in and through me. Through Your Son, lead me beyond myself, beyond all created things, into Your infinite, loving self, in union with the communion of saints.”
Our God, as the consecrated bread is the infinite Son of God, yet is brittle, mutable wafer, so let me be one in You despite my frailty and unworthiness. Great God, Creator of all things, thank You for Your gifts of creation and existence, and for the mercy that restores Creation and eternal blessedness to Your difficult human creatures.

Have mercy, our God, for our limited understanding, our misconceptions, our pride and our self-doubts, along with the stark realities and sufferings of this world, frequently lead many of us to falter in faith or to abandon it completely.
We believe Lord God. Please increase our faith.

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help. Amen

“If God brings it to you- God will bring you through it.”

Eternal Father, we cannot endure prolonged or severe spiritual desolation without Your support. Please comfort us, and increase our faith.

You know that Jesus, though sinless, chose to suffer with us, drinking the cup of our unloving choices. Jesus suffered doubt as we do when He cried out, “My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?” We unite our doubt with His, for You look with silent pity and unspeakable love on Your Son.

Jesus, You say to me, “Take up your cross and follow Me!” “If you love me, keep my commandments.” I fix my eyes upon the bright scars of Your ransom for me. Why did You suffer so terribly for me who even now remain unconverted? Yet Your wounds, Your hands, Your heart and Your word are filled with promises that You desire to fulfil in me and in others.

Give us strength to bear doubt when it comes, our God, so that with Jesus we can say, “Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit”, thus joining with Him to death of unbelief and sin—into freedom of rising with Him into the glory of the redeemed spirit.

I offer You my only coin—trust against all appearances, hope despite my heartache, and faith despite my sins and flaws. Mercifully accept this meagre offering and open Your treasure house of love to me and my loved ones, and to those whom You wish to serve through me.

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help. Amen

“If God brings it to you- God will bring you through it.”

Amen

Trust

Jesus suffered doubt as we do when He cried out, “My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?” We unite our doubt with His, for You look with silent pity and unspeakable love on Your Son. You know that Jesus, though sinless, chose to suffer with us, drinking the cup of our unloving choices.

Trust in hardship

Jesus, in this era, many people are unaware of themselves as loved children of God redeemed by Jesus and destined for eternal joy. There is growing immorality in social attitudes and increased diversity of illness. Then, amongst good and appropriate treatments for these problems, there are an expanding number of unethical responses.

There are mounting personal, family and social pressures, alienations and separations. Families and individuals suffer ordeals and tragedies. Help us to trust God’s mercy in all these things.

Many people lose their ability to trust through abuse in childhood, or later through unfaithful spouses, disloyal friends, or untrustworthy colleagues. Please help them to grow past their injuries into trust. Let them experience kindness and love that promotes healing. Help them to grow in self-esteem and confidence with others.

Give us trust that You continually offer us forgiveness and love. Open our hearts to the mercy that You desire to flood into our lives. Give us trust that Your love for our dear ones will protect and lead them to heaven. Do not allow us to let the clouds of this life deceive us. The Sun of Your Mercy burns ever brightly above all clouds! We offer praise and thanksgiving to Your merciful love for us!

“Let us not grow weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.” (Galatians 6:9) 1999

Although we have may difficulty in seeing divine action within ourselves, we have a God whose “strength does not lie in numbers, nor Your might in violent men, since You are God of the humble, the help of the oppressed, the support of the weak, the refuge of the forsaken, the saviour of the despairing.” [Judith 9:14-16]

Amen!

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us now, and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, as is and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

Trust

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.