For those who engage in apologetics on non-Catholic sites

I have been engaging in apologetics on various non-Catholic forums (primarily, anti-Catholic) for about a year and a half. Anyone else been doing the same?

I find that I get physically ill sometimes and defending my faith to people who are very vile and crude about Catholicism can be very grueling. I find that I engage in apologetics in my sleep, always waking up looking for the source of information to respond with. I cannot stand people attacking the Church Christ founded, but sometimes I wonder why I bother. Just looking for words of encouragement or wisdom.

Anyone?

Looking forward to your input–

Kelly

Wow, you are a true warrior! I applaud you. The best encouragement I can offer you have heard many times before: Matthew 5:10-12. Nothing says it better. You are blessed for being persecuted for righteousness. I would suggest memorizing those verses, keep them in the back of your mind as you defend, and embrace the persecution. I don’t think one can get any closer to God at such times.

LT

In necessary things, unity; in doubtful things, liberty; in all things, charity. Just remember that…

I used to go to different cloth diapering boards and found that I had to defend the Church quite a bit. Unfortunately, it was sometimes against Cafeteria Catholics that REALLY wanted to say “But I don’t care what the Church teaches… I’m a Catholic and I believe IVF is fine and I’d do it if I wanted to.”

It’s always hard but when done in charity and no matter how ugly “they” get, remember to keep your chin up and smile on. :thumbsup:

Realize no matter what, nothing you do is a waste of time or prayer. It is all for the glory of God. We can not “convert” anyone. Our job is to plant the seed. It is the up to the Holy Spirit to water, weed, and fertilize. I find that even though my heart is racing, I can control my emotions and lovingly share with God’s children the truth.

God is not under time’s control. Everything happens in God’s time not ours. When we offer prayer for someone we are showing our faith in God.

We are practicing our faith and binding ourselves to God. That is religion.

**Ephisians 6:10
The Armor of God **
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Your sister in Christ:signofcross:

Apropos of nothing, I must say…

“Cloth diapering boards”?

I guess there’s a forum for everything.

That is all.

I had been frequenting one board that is known for being strongly anti-catholic for two years. Actually, in the past year that board has really gone over the deep end in their irrationality. At one point someone compared catholics to dogs and the moderators let it stand. Strangely, they think that such views are “Christian.” At that point I realized that these people’s hatred is so ingrained that it was not profitable for me to continue going there.

I stopped posting there and can honestly say I am happier for it.
It strange because that site actually helped me become catholic.

I have been on several and thrown under the bus on quit a few as well as banned.
I don’t post on any of them any more.

Someone on here said it just the other day…"They know where to find us if they want the truth."
Blackie

I think you speak of the same forum that I am currently defending the faith on. The moderator, D.S. allows the anti-Catholics to say anything and when a Catholic refers to someone’s post as insane, they get sanctioned. It is not really possible to even plant a seed there. They have their robotic responses and they just type them over and over. I was having a somewhat ‘agree to disagree’ chat with a man that said he would pray for me to see the light. I replied that I would pray for he and everyone on the board. A bunch of others chimed in begging me not to pray for them. It made them ‘vomit’ to think that Catholics would pray to ‘dead people’ for them. :frowning:

Oh, well…what did the late Holy Father JPII say? “Be not afraid. We are the Easter people and Alleluia is our song!”

The site does make me even stronger in my faith, I agree with you.

Thanks!

:amen:

Easier said than done sometimes but I give it my best. :wink:

Thank you for your kind words and reminders. These people aren’t open to seed planting, yet I throw them at them anyway. Sometimes I have to duck and cover. They are extremely anti-Catholic to say the very least where it is considered acceptable to come right out and say that we are evil and all going to hell for sure (and that is by the ‘moderators’!). They don’t even try to convert the Catholics who try to defend the faith! They just do the fire and brimstone damnation thing, and I have suggested to them , that if they worked on their approach perhaps they would actually ‘save’ someone. Anyway, thanks again!:slight_smile:

Praise God for CAF and the dedicated people who work so hard to make it happen every day!

My suggestion is that you try the more moderate non-Catholic Christian sites, and even secular sites.

I’m frankly frightened by some of the more extreme anti-Catholic websites. Do you have children? Or other family members?

I’m writing a teen novel (my third) about the Holocaust (WWII) and hate crimes. In the novel, I originally used the name of a racist society that existed back in the 19th Century. I thought the society was no longer in existence.

Then I did some research online, and uh-oh, there was the society. It’s still around, and one section of the website featured *a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers * of ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAD OFFENDED THEM by publishing articles, books, novels, or making a speech, or selling a product–they urged their members to “harass” these people!

So I changed the name of the society in my book to a fictional name. I don’t want my kids to suffer.

I think some of these virulent anti-Catholic sites could possibly have links to some of the hate sites, and I would be very careful if I were you to stay away from those small, independent websites.

Another problem with those hate sites is that some of the posters are dangerous. This can happen even on good sites. On one site, I got very nervous about the violent language that a poster was using. My husband (a computer guru) did some searches that indicated that this poster was a drifter who had a “violent” personal website (under a different name, of course). We reported him to the mods and provided the links, also suggesting that the mods call the authories. The poster was banned, but not sure if anything else happened.

This is scary to me. I think that it’s possible that some of these extreme anti-Catholics might consider it their holy duty to…well, you get the idea. Marcus Grodi wrote a book about this kind of thing called How Firm A Foundation.

Stick with Christian sites that are affiliated with respectable Protestant organizations like Campus Crusade for Christ, Focus on the Family, Christianity Today etc., or that are affiliated with respectable Christian teachers like Dr. Dobson, Chuck Colson, Chuck Swindoll, etc.

Believe it or not, I have had lots of good things happen on one of the ice skating boards that I participate in. These kids are always asking questions in the OT Section about the Church and abortion. I get PMs all the time from kids and their mothers asking questions and thanking me for helping them.

The problem with even the respectable non-Catholic Christian sites is that their mods get scared when Catholics come on board and sometimes make up new rules. One site made a rule forbidding any posts except those using the Bible only as documentation; in other words, no Early Church Fathers, no history texts, no articles by other Christian writers–just the Bible. Real scholarly, right?!

One site bans all discussion of denominations, but people get around it by saying, “Here is what I personally believe…”

Try some of these “friendlier” non-Catholic Christian sites. My suggestion is that you minimize your posts on these sites. Keep your posts small and pithy, and extremely gracious and loving. It’s hard for someone to fight you when you turn the other cheek.

Finally, remember that the members who actually post are few in number, but hundreds of people are lurking and reading. You may be the instrument that the Lord uses to convict all these readers.

Whew! You gave me much to think about and I thank you!

Just a couple of comments:

The board to which I am referring has a very slick founder. I tried to back something up with a quote from the GIRM and I found that they had set it so that no URLs could be used from the USCCB! They require you to cite sources so as not to plagarize, but you are limited to two links per post. You may not post any links to pro-Catholic websites, period. This was a reply to another Catholic poster yesterday:

Right, I’m sure when I get to heaven the Eucharist will say to me, “away from me, I never knew thy taste buds”

A catholic praying for me seems feels a little like a bum teaching Donald Trump “Keys to Financial Success”

and another:

Is communion consumed based on the level of sinfulness? It makes sense that a mortal sinner would need more “wafah” than a venni baby, is there such thing as super-sized Eucharist, for those who’ve had an interesting night before mass.

I dont know if I could stay long at a place that vile. :nope:

May the Holy Spirit guide you on this, make sure that place does not suck the hope out of you.

You are far more brave than I.:slight_smile:

i think if you’re thinking about apologetics all the time, even in your sleep, you might want to consider taking a break for a while. don’t endanger your mental health by spending all day every day on anti-catholic message boards.

one reason i came to this board was as a way of calming my mind by spending time online with people of a similar persuasion. i was burned out by all the hostility and crude insults directed at me on secular boards for being a catholic and pro-life.

it was an eye-opening experience but not something i could put up with on a daily basis.

I must say that this experience has strengthened my prayer life and helped me to learn more about my faith. I am sure to take a break when I need it. In my younger days, I would have probably been more prone to go past burn out. I don’t know about brave…:wink:

I’m taking a mini-break even as we speak.:wink: It makes CAF feel even more like home. I’ll continue to pray for the Holy Spirit to guide me and I certainly appreciate all of the kind folks here!

God bless you all!

I frequent a site often. One thing I have found helpful, is to aquire other bits of advise from these anti’s in regards to other subjects that they are knowledgable in. That way, they are a bit more receptive, after getting to know me.

Lately, I only pop-up when our faith is questioned, or slandered. I will not back down and they know it. Over the past couple of months, I have seen no conversions, however more respect, and fewer attacks. The site has been absolutely silent over the past week. Even if there are no conversions, I feel that I am at least doing the right thing in defending Christ’s Church.

What a great feeling to know that the Catholic Church can not and will not fall. If anyone of you believe that you are called to “defend”, if at all possible,don’t quit. I for one,can’t listen to anti-Catholics, disrespect the faith, without defending it.

I thank all of you for giving me help when I ask for it here. I only ask for your prayers, in that I remain, patient and kind to them.

Sean Hannity’s Religion forum ain’t too bad.

Hi there, kell,

I’m very fond of apologetics. It seems you’re very into the Catholic one. I started with studying natural, then Christian and then Catholic one :slight_smile: It sort of came that way :slight_smile:

Hm, may I ask whether you make up sometimes fictional dialogues in your mind? Like between you and your “opponent”? Cos’ sometimes this occurs to me and I sometimes come up with quite a good way of reasoning regarding a particular topic. Just wondering… :slight_smile:

Yes, indeed. On really busy nights, the entire dialogue takes place while I’m sleeping:D thus my crankiness in the morning!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.