For those who left the Catholic Church

and said:

“I left the Catholic Church because it went against the Bible.”

Have you ever stopped to wonder:

Where did the Bible come from?

I left the Catholic Church, but I’m not Protestant :stuck_out_tongue:

Where did the Bible come from? The Orthodox Church :thumbsup:

Since The Orthodox Church departed from The (Catholic) Church in 1054, that has to be a jibe! Surely!

:cool:

For those who said they left the Catholic Church because she went against the bible, can they back that up? What parts of the Mass do you fail to recognize as being in scripture?

I think that catholics do have the answers to protestants who claim that catholicism is not biblical. Catholic apologetics have done wonders defending the catholic faith. I must say that catholicism does have protestantism on the run. But whether or not protestants will face up to it, is quite another mater.

At 18, I left the catholic church because I felt the lds church was the true church. However, I must say that since my discovery of my old faith over a year ago, I rather like the catholic faith again. The priests have been great and so have the nuns. I have also done catholic volunteer work in Europe.

But I will speak no evil against other faiths and I will defend the lds when antimormons post antimormon posts on this forum.

You split from us:wink:

Catholic and Orthodox may be (sadly) split temporarily (after all, “A thousand years in Thy sight are as yesterday, which is past, or as a watch in the night”) but regardless of how we got apart, it is incumbent on us to ‘stick together’ as we both hold and teach the catholic faith that comes to us from the apostles.

I left the Catholic Church in spirit several years back because of strong Protestan influences (from friends and attending camps ect.) My parents still had me attend Mass occassionaly, but once I moved out I stopped completely.

I took Protestant objections (mainly that Catholicism is unbiblical) to be accurate.

However, in school the study of Christian history lead me to view Protestantism as an understanding of Christianity that is generally lacking in depth, at least when compared to Catholicism. A Catholic professor also helped me in this.

Effective apologetics now have me going back to Mass and seeking ways to thoroughly integrate Catholicism into my daily life.

I left the Catholic church for a number of reasons, internal and external.

One was that I was forced into it in the first place when my mum married a Catholic and I was ‘made’ Catholic.

Another was even then as they were teaching me Catholic ‘truths’ the church changed.

Some minor examples and some major ones bugged me. A minor one being we went from singing beautiful hymns to suddenly having these ‘hippies’ at the front of the church leading us through such songs as “Let it Be” (Lennon/McCartney)

Even recent changes on Limbo confirm my feelings about the church’s *grasp *on truth.

I was lead to believe the Protestant line that the church had become apostate but leading me iCatholicism I couldn’t find a church to go to as there’s 100,000’s of different Protestant churches.

Anyway, I searched around for a church I thought was pure, including heading towards Islam, of all things.

Anyway, now I’m Orthodox, and I’m home.

Did the Church say you had to believe in Limbo?
What made you heading towards Islam before?
Do you find the Orthodox pure? and in what sense it is pure?

Certainly. Although never official teaching they *allowed/encouraged *people to pray for those in limbo

I was mistaken in believing their idea that they had the ‘pure teaching’ of God.

I think its the undilluted church as the Apostles taught - with nothing added, in the sense of new doctrines.

Nella—

I agree with you “The Bible came from the God inspired authors who comprised the Early church.”

But when you say “These people were not Catholic.”

I have to ask have you ever read any letters from the Early Church Fathers?

Do you know who St. Ignatius of Antioch is?

He was made bishop of Antioch by St. Peter and taught by St. John the apostle.

And in Ignatius’ letter he states

Chapter 8. Let nothing be done without the bishop.

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God.

Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it.

Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, **wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. **

It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.

Letters from The Early Church Fathers
newadvent.org/fathers/

Notice the letter “C” is capitalized.It is a name of something.
This letter is from 110 ad.

Have you ever looked up a list of popes before?

The word “pope” is (Ecclesiastical Latin papa from Greek papas, a variant of pappas it means father.

But look at this list, not as a non-Catholic but as a person who is interested in history. Look at the dates. The Great Emperor Constantine was not born until 280 ad.The Catholic Church was on the **27th **pope!

In 1054ad. when the Schism of the Catholic Church happened the Catholic Church had already had 153 popes!

Go further down to the year 1517ad. when Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Catholic Church. It was our 218th. pope who signed the papers!

But the year in question is 382ad. that is when the council under Pope Damasus I, our 37th pope, with the other bishops in attendance came together with the Holy Spirit to decide the canon for the New Testament.

Pope Damasus I had his secretary St. Jerome translate our Scripture into Latin the Bible we still use today. It is called "The Biblia Sacra Vulgata " because it was our “sacred book written in the common language” everyone was speaking at the time.

Jesus kept His promise!

He built a church on Peter!

The gates of Hell have not overcome it!

It has been here since the day Jesus saved us all!

The List of Popes
newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

I believe the Orthodox Church holds the fullness of the truth. I have not left the “Catholic” Church, I’m in the process of joining it. :thumbsup:

“Ignatius, who is also called Theophorus, to the Church which has obtained mercy, through the majesty of the Mast High God the Father, and of Jesus Christ, His only-begotten Son; the Church which is sanctified and enlightened by the will of God, who farmed all things that are according to the faith and love of Jesus Christ, our God and Saviour;** the Church which presides in the place of the region of the Romans**, and which is worthy of God, worthy of honour, worthy of the highest happiness, worthy of praise, worthy of credit, worthy of being deemed holy, and which presides over love…” **Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Romans, Prologue (A.D. 110). **

“And he says to him again after the resurrection, ‘Feed my sheep.’ It is on him that he builds the Church, and to him that he entrusts the sheep to feed. And although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single Chair, thus establishing by his own authority the source and hallmark of the (Church’s) oneness. No doubt the others were all that Peter was, but a primacy is given to Peter, and it is (thus) made clear that there is but** one flock **which is to be fed by all the apostles in common accord. If a man does not hold fast to this oneness of Peter, does he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he still confidence that he is in the Church? This unity firmly should we hold and maintain, especially we bishops, presiding in the Church, in order that we may approve the episcopate itself to be the one and undivided.” Cyprian, The Unity of the Church, 4-5 (A.D. 251-256

“You cannot deny that you know that in the city of Rome the Chair was first conferred on Peter, in which the prince of all the Apostles, Peter, sat…in which Chair unity should be preserved by all, so that he should now be a schismatic and a sinner who should set up another Chair against that unique one.” **Optatus of Mileve, The Schism of Donatists, 2:2-3 (c. A.D. 367). **

"…I think it my duty to consult the chair of Peter, and to turn to a church whose faith has been praised by Paul…The fruitful soil of Rome, when it receives the pure seed of the Lord, bears fruit an hundredfold…My words are spoken to the successor of the fisherman, to the disciple of the cross. As I follow no leader save Christ, so I communicate with none but your blessedness, that is with the chair of Peter. For this, I know, is the rock on which the church is built! This is the house where alone the paschal lamb can be rightly eaten. This is the ark of Noah, and he who is not found in it shall perish when the flood prevails.” **Jerome, To Pope Damasus, Epistle 15:1-2 (A.D. 375). **

Letters of the Early Church Fathers
newadvent.org/fathers/

Who are you quote-mining for?

For the Catholic Church.

Sorry if I confused you.

You’re posting quotes *for *the Catholic Church? Why do they need to see your quotes?

-still confused :confused:

Hmmm. It appears circumstances conspired to bring you Home, but your personal opinion and selfish pride has resulted in your deliberate departure! Selfish pride because you departed out of disagreeing with what The Church teaches and holds to.

Martin Luther did the same, for the same reason! Like him though, your free will is a Divine gift to used as you wish!

As for The Schism between the Orthodox and the Roman Rite, some history research alone should make it clear that Orthodox departed in 1054 when they decided that The Pope is not the Sole Authority for The Church. They preferred to have a group of bishops hold councils to decide for them! But there was a lineage of Popes already in continuum. Clearly, their understanding “changed” and rather than continuing listening to a Pope, they decided they know better, do better, by splitting off to themselves!

What we share is Apostolic Succession and so it is not surprising that we share their (Apostles) faith of the Mass and Eucharist, etc etc etc.

Who is right and who is in error?

A plain reading of Scriptures shows that Peter is the one The Church was built on. Peter is also the one most tested by Our Lord throughout His time here. Peter is the one called out of the boat to walk on the water. Although almost every time he was tested, Peter’s faith faltered, Our Lord persevered with him because he was to be the one to lead The Church. Peter was a fisherman, a sinner, a simple man. But Our Lord asked him repeatedly how much he loved Him. Not any other Apostle or a group of Bishops, or Apostles! In the end Our Lord left him as The Vicar of His Church with specific directions to “feed my flock!”

Protestants of all denominations all believe in Our Lord as we do. But they argue against The Catholic Church out of their own opinions and dislike of this and that from what they hear, read, understand or misconceptions: not out of FACTS! (Similar to your position)

“The Catholics believe this! The Catholics do this and that! The Catholics shouldn’t do this! The Catholics make up their own rules! etc etc”

We all await His return! What would He say?
Would it be, “Yeah, I said I build my church on a group of bishops that leave the first Church because they started changing things!” ?!!?

or would it be, **“I’m glad Luther left and started the other denominations because I got that one completely wrong!” ?!?!

We may all be “Christians” but we are not saying the same things. I would suggest some detailed research because we can’t all be right!

:cool:**

No. It’s accepting the RC church has sepeated itself from the church through the pride of Popes
"In like manner, let all reverence the deacons as an appointment of Jesus Christ, and the bishop as Jesus Christ, who is the Son of the Father, and the presbyters as the Sanhedrim of God, and assembly of the apostles. Apart from these, there is no Church."
Ignatius -
“The Epistle to the Trallians”, Chapter III
ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.v.iv.iii.html

Clearly you need to brush up on history because in 1054 your church formally broke away, but the rejection of Papal authority is much older.

Only your Pope, for no matter what he does you must remain in communion with him.

Not Peter alone, for the whole of the Apostles are the foundation.
Not one rock. Not one who holds the keys. Not one shepherd.
rock
Ephesians 2:20
built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
keys
In in Matthew 18:18 the other Apostles were given the powers of binding and loosing. How do you ‘bind and loose’ without any keys? It would be a hollow power if they didn’t have the keys too. Here’s what the Church fathers say.
Augustine notes that the keys are given to the whole church

“He has given, therefore, the keys to His Church, that whatsoever it should bind on earth might be bound in heaven, and whatsoever it should loose on earth might be, loosed in heaven”

“On Christian Doctrine”

Book I, Chapter 18.17

and again…

"…the keys that were given to the Church,"
A Treatise Concerning the Correction of the Donatists

Chapter 10.45

and

"How the Church? Why, to her it was said, “To thee I will give the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatsoever thou shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven, and whatsoever thou shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven.”

"Ten Homilies on the First Epistle of John"
Homily X.10

Cyprian

Cyprian acknowledges, of course, that Peter was the first to get the keys, but then adds

“Assuredly the rest of the apostles were also the same as was Peter, endowed with a like partnership both of honour and power; but the beginning proceeds from unity.”

On the Unity of the Church Treatise I.4

con’t…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.