For those who work at Catholic universities/schools

For anyone who works at a Catholic university - perhaps I should extend this to all levels of Catholic education, but I think that the problem is more pronounced at universities - do you have a hard time as a faithful, orthodox Catholic and if so, how do you deal with it?

Granted, I work for a Catholic law school and lawyers are notoriously self-important & self-righteous, but sometimes I wonder why there are so many professors & other people who work at Catholic universities who are so openly critical of the Church. I am actually talking about *Catholics - *people whom I know were at least raised Catholic or who claim to be Catholic. They seem to be a lot worse than non-Catholics, and at times I despair that there’s no way of countering or correcting them because they think of themselves as so enlightened and superior to the rest of us.

I should also note that I am the daughter of a professor, so I am a little too well-acquainted with this ( thankfully not from my parent, who is a practicing Catholic).

[quote=stellina]For anyone who works at a Catholic university - perhaps I should extend this to all levels of Catholic education, but I think that the problem is more pronounced at universities - do you have a hard time as a faithful, orthodox Catholic and if so, how do you deal with it?
[/quote]

I teach at a Catholic elementary and middle school. To answer your first question, no, I don’t have “a hard time as a faithful, orthodox Catholic” (except, insofar as I’m far from perfect). I feel this is primarily due to three reasons:

1. The principal of the school places great emphasis on being faithful to the Church.

2. I’m of the personality type that doesn’t care a whole lot about what other people think about my beliefs.

3. I’ve been told a number of times by different people that I’m intimidating (although I don’t see why); consequently, I imagine fewer people are willing to confront me.

:smiley:

– Mark L. Chance.

Great - my mother taught at a Catholic elementary school! She used to carry this big green softball bat around (it was plastic & hollow, so it wouldn’t have hurt much) so nobody got out of line around her.

You’re right in saying that we shouldn’t care what others think of our faith - it just makes me angry that these people talk this was in public around campus and I suppose I’m frustrated that I’m not in a position to say anything to them.

[quote=stellina]You’re right in saying that we shouldn’t care what others think of our faith - it just makes me angry that these people talk this was in public around campus and I suppose I’m frustrated that I’m not in a position to say anything to them.
[/quote]

Work on your sneer. As William Paley once asked, “Who can refute a sneer?”

:smiley:

– Mark L. Chance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.