For those whose suffering seems endless

Our God, please relieve the suffering of our brothers and sisters, in illness, mental anguish or confusion, relationship troubles, and sickness or death of loved ones. Please give them loving companionship and understanding, and practical help where possible.

Dearest God, in Your plan of salvation, You permit our sharing in the suffering that You bore for our sins…in order to awaken repentance…in reparation for anyone’s offences…or to sanctify through affliction. Yet I entreat that sufferers may not endure an instant longer or of a degree more intense than needed. Where mine or another’s prayer and love can attain what is required, by calling upon the vast treasury of saints and martyrs, the intercession of angels, and Your own infinite merit—then Jesus I implore You to allow this.

You promise that no one will be burdened beyond endurance. Yet what extreme of sorrow can be endured beneath this limit! Pain is always relevant and a tormented moment may seem an eternity, as Jesus the supreme sufferer knows so well! Therefore, except where Your purpose is endangered, spare us the cup of suffering and allow mine and others’ salvation be wrought through divine grace, in prayer, in humble trust and generous love rather through anguish.

Yet, not as we desire, but Your divine will be accomplished! If this is to be fulfilled through suffering—for how can we in our sinfulness hope to escape what You in Your innocence do not—then please grant us perseverance in our privileged sharing in Your sacrifice. United with You let us trustingly give all, so that sanctified in You, our lives serve the highest purpose of divine will. Lead us, with peace and spiritual joy, to penetrate the mysteries of this redemptive suffering shared in Jesus, our God and brother!

Our God, I will keep them all in my prayers and Masses always. Help me to pray the best I can for them, and please multiply my small loaves and fishes of prayer for whoever needs them

Amen! to your beautiful prayer for those whose suffering seems endless.

Lord, may those suffering agony be blessed with your loving, saving presence, lest they perish in despair. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

The ongoing suffering of our imperfections and failures

Suffering servant of God

Dear Jesus, as Suffering Servant [Isaiah 52-53] You accepted all human weakness and struggle in atonement for human sin. You obtained redemption for all who choose Your ways.

With You, I accept the gifts and burdens of my humanity for the sake of others’ salvation. While I endure my faults and life’s difficulties, accepting them as opportunities to grow in love and wisdom, I ask that through Your mercy I never actually sin against You or other people.

Suffering Servant of God, united with You, I offer the heartaches, failures and misfortunes of others’ lives and mine. Your life in me is my real self that desires and moves towards goodness and others’ welfare. Where we can only experience grief or depression before traumatic and distressing occurrences, empower us with trust in You.

Fulfil Your promise that “all shall be well” that “all manner of things shall be well.” (Jesus to Julian of Norwich) Please grant me confidence in Your merciful action even when all seems hopeless, so that like You, I will obtain numerous conversions in blessing for my life lived in service of You and others. October 1980

Jesus, even when I feel devastated or despondent, I desire to pray and try to assist others. Help me to accept humbly, without surprise or disappointment that I seem imperfect and unfruitful, and that life seems dark and gloomy.

Let me live Your dream of me regardless. Let me be the treasure You created me to be, for You and for anyone in my life. Please delight Yourself in me and fulfil Your will in my life despite my inadequacies and trials. October 2001

“A Christian should always remember that the value of his good works is not based on their number and excellence but on the love of God which prompts him to do these things.” (Saint John of the Cross) “*Do not say, “God will consider the number of my gifts.” *[Ecclesiasticus 7:9] “*Offer to God the sacrifice of never gathering any fruit. If He wills that throughout your whole life, you should feel a repugnance to suffering and humiliation—if He permits that all the flowers of your desires and of your good will should fall to the ground without any fruit appearing, do not worry. At the hour of death He will cause fruits to ripen on the tree of your soul.” *(Saint Therese quoted by Celine in ‘Counsels and Reminiscences’)

Amen!

Amen!

Praying hard.

Suffering with Jesus

Eternal Father, in the extremity of suffering, Jesus remained heroically generous, granting salvation to a repentant sinner and praying forgiveness for His persecutors. He showed compassion to His anguished Mother by filling her empty arms with many children and giving her a son in His loved friend John. Through him, He thus named as brothers and sisters, all persons who follow His cross.

Father, please grant us to welcome the cross of love that we bear with Your Son. Through Him, let us serve in loving joy when we suffer through anyone’s affliction. We offer all heartache or inconvenience for others’ sake, as prayer for their true good.

Accept our sufferings united with His, in reparation for sin, and in prayer for peace, justice and love amongst Your people. Grant us to be forgiving, merciful, loving and fraternal like Jesus, witnesses to faith and faithfulness in all circumstances, joyful or painful.

Our God, please relieve the suffering of our brothers and sisters, in illness, mental anguish or confusion, relationship troubles, and sickness or death of loved ones. Please give them loving companionship and understanding, and practical help where possible.

Dearest God, in Your plan of salvation, You permit our sharing in the suffering that You bore for our sins…in order to awaken repentance…in reparation for anyone’s offences…or to sanctify through affliction. Yet I entreat that sufferers may not endure an instant longer or of a degree more intense than needed. Where mine or another’s prayer and love can attain what is required, by calling upon the vast treasury of saints and martyrs, the intercession of angels, and Your own infinite merit—then Jesus I implore You to allow this.

You promise that no one will be burdened beyond endurance. Yet what extreme of sorrow can be endured beneath this limit! Pain is always relevant and a tormented moment may seem an eternity, as Jesus the supreme sufferer knows so well! Therefore, except where Your purpose is endangered, spare us the cup of suffering and allow mine and others’ salvation be wrought through divine grace, in prayer, in humble trust and generous love rather through anguish.

Yet, not as we desire, but Your divine will be accomplished! If this is to be fulfilled through suffering—for how can we in our sinfulness hope to escape what You in Your innocence do not—then please grant us perseverance in our privileged sharing in Your sacrifice.

United with You let us trustingly give all, so that sanctified in You, our lives serve the highest purpose of divine will. Lead us, with peace and spiritual joy, to penetrate the mysteries of this redemptive suffering shared in Jesus, our God and brother!

Amen

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

Continued prayers……

For your intentions

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell; lead all souls into Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help. Amen

“If God brings it to you- God will bring you through it.”

In prayer for us when we suffer repeatedly because of our imperfections and sins.

The Cross of my life

Jesus, my cross is sorrow for others in their anxieties and afflictions, and in the limited help and comfort that I can give them. The nails are my mistakes and inadequacies that distress or fail others. No sooner do I inhale the breath of Your grace for others than it fouls with my failings. I must again drag up on my nailed wrists and push up upon my transfixed feet, in order to exhale the vapour of lukewarmness and sinfulness—so once again to draw in Your grace.

The faults that characterise much of my life, scourge my soul until it is bruised and faint, sapping my hope and faith. Acts devoid of generous love lash into the wholeness of Your image in me. I am sick with hunger, for I accept too little food of loving, sharing and serving in each moment of Your offering. My hunger is the more intense because others may suffer deprivation for my omissions and sinfulness.

A crown of idle thoughts, and words, of prayer neglected, of reparation postponed, of temptation undefeated, binds up my head with wounds. My inconstancy and unlove are my nakedness. The taunts are my lack of witness of Christ. My every nerve is pain, and it pours from my body in stinging sweat of regret. My lack of love makes my soul a living wound—at times benumbed, or raw with returning consciousness. Repeatedly I seek to escape this crucifixion, but I remain nailed to my weakness, fighting for hope and trust.

“Why do You abandon me, Lord?” Yet not You! Why do You allow me repeatedly to abandon You, in this lingering death of my faults and negligence! Yet, Jesus, because of Your mercy I affirm faith in Your love that brings marvellous blessing out of wretchedness, failure and sin. I cannot transform or resurrect myself, Jesus, but I offer You all that constitutes me, humbly asking that You will do what I cannot.

I give my self, crucified in its egoism and materialism, its pride and disobedience, its unbelief, unlove and ingratitude. Offer it to the Father with Your own crucifixion, so that in You I die to all these imperfections and rise again with You forever in the love and life of the Holy Spirit. Your mercy thereby draws many souls after me. Thank You, Jesus for this resurrection that You share with us.

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

The grieving heart

Dear Mother Mary, please comfort each grieving heart in the waves of pain that frequently engulf it. Sustain it when dark mourning closes out all light of comfort and hope , and when prayer seems no longer possible. Obtain the gentle understanding and warm companionship of others to nurture the stricken heart and lead it towards hope and new life. Sustain it with faith and bring it to true generosity of spirit even in its sorrow.

You deeply experienced the laceration of suffering and bereavement, Mother. It entered and filled your Son’s life, piercing your soul, echoing through all your years. You watched your beloved Child follow a path that led to His earthly annihilation. Grieving, you were powerless to murmur or to prevent Him who must be about His divine Father’s affairs. You suffered, prayed, and loved in silent faith, as so many parents must.

Like innumerable mothers throughout the ages, you watched with anguish the struggling progress of your Son’s destiny, amid rising danger of circumstance and others’ opposition. Finally, you beheld as others’ selfishness, unbelief, ambition, fear and pride, destroyed Him who only loved them and sought their salvation.

He hung there, your boy, cruelly nailed, struggling for breath and faith. You helplessly watched life drain from His pure, loved body as His struggle deepened in pain, fever and weakness. You would have protected Him whom you loved in excruciating intensity, but you could never choose to betray the divine intention that entrusted Him to you. “Your will be done!” your being replied endlessly with His to the divine Father.

Have pity on the anguished helplessness issuing from inability to alleviate the sufferings of dear ones. Mother crucified of heart, as we suffer with our dear ones’ pain and grief, please obtain for us such courage, obedience and selflessness as your own and His, so that the highest will of divine love shall be fulfilled in each of our lives.

Mother have pity on that terrible grief, that chasm of loss, the emptiness that stretches before the bereaved as they embrace their dead in their desolate hearts, as you have done. Let them find hope in Your dead son’s resurrection even when their hearts are still frozen with grief.

Yet, not as we desire, but Your divine will be accomplished! If this is to be fulfilled through suffering—for how can we in our sinfulness hope to escape what You in Your innocence do not—then please grant us perseverance in our privileged sharing in Your sacrifice. United with You let us trustingly give all, so that sanctified in You, our lives serve the highest purpose of divine will. Lead us, with peace and spiritual joy, to penetrate the mysteries of this redemptive suffering shared in Jesus, our God and brother!

Our God, I will keep them all in my prayers and Masses always. Help me to pray the best I can for them, and please multiply my small loaves and fishes of prayer for whoever needs them

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death. Amen

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Amen

The ongoing suffering of our imperfections and failures

*“God is asking me, the unworthy, to forget my unworthiness and that of my brothers, and to dare to advance in the love which has redeemed and renewed us all in God’s likeness…to laugh, after all, at the preposterous idea of ‘worthiness’” *Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander, Thomas Merton. I
Suffering servant of God

Dear Jesus, as Suffering Servant [Isaiah 52-53] You accepted all human weakness and struggle in atonement for human sin. You obtained redemption for all who choose Your ways.

With You, I accept the gifts and burdens of my humanity for the sake of others’ salvation. While I endure my faults and life’s difficulties, accepting them as opportunities to grow in love and wisdom, I ask that through Your mercy I never actually sin against You or other people.

Suffering Servant of God, united with You, I offer the heartaches, failures and misfortunes of others’ lives and mine. Your life in me is my real self that desires and moves towards goodness and others’ welfare. Where we can only experience grief or depression before traumatic and distressing occurrences, empower us with trust in You.

Fulfil Your promise that “all shall be well” that “all manner of things shall be well.” (Jesus to Julian of Norwich) Please grant me confidence in Your merciful action even when all seems hopeless, so that like You, I will obtain numerous conversions in blessing for my life lived in service of You and others.

Jesus, even when I feel devastated or despondent, please grant me grace to pray and try to assist others. Help me to accept humbly, without surprise or disappointment that I seem imperfect and unfruitful, and that life seems dark and gloomy.

Let me live Your dream of me regardless. Let me be the treasure You created me to be, for You and for anyone in my life. Please delight Yourself in me and fulfil Your will in my life despite my inadequacies and trials.

“A Christian should always remember that the value of his good works is not based on their number and excellence but on the love of God which prompts him to do these things.” (Saint John of the Cross) “*Do not say, “God will consider the number of my gifts.” *[Ecclesiasticus 7:9] “*Offer to God the sacrifice of never gathering any fruit. If He wills that throughout your whole life, you should feel a repugnance to suffering and humiliation—if He permits that all the flowers of your desires and of your good will should fall to the ground without any fruit appearing, do not worry. At the hour of death He will cause fruits to ripen on the tree of your soul.” *(Saint Therese quoted by Celine in ‘Counsels and Reminiscences’)

Suffering with Jesus
Our God, in the extremity of suffering, Jesus remained heroically generous, granting salvation to a repentant sinner and praying forgiveness for His persecutors. He showed compassion to His anguished Mother by filling her empty arms with many children and giving her a son in His loved friend John. Through him, He thus named as brothers and sisters, all persons who follow His cross.

Our God, please grant us to welcome the cross of love that we bear with Your Son. Through Him, let us serve in loving joy when we suffer through anyone’s affliction. We offer all heartache or inconvenience for others’ sake, as prayer for their true good. Accept our sufferings united with His, in reparation for sin, and in prayer for peace, justice and love amongst Your people. Grant us to be forgiving, merciful, loving and fraternal like Jesus, witnesses to faith and faithfulness in all circumstances, joyful or painful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.