For those with low self esteem

I’ve compassion for them, as I was once one of them…and having written this prayer for sorting the issue out with God, I offer it on behalf of everyone who is lonely, sad, and depressed about themselves and their lives. I thought you might say “amen” to it for them.

Confidence in God’s merciful love
God, You command that I forgive and rightly cherish myself. Like many people in human history, I often find it difficult to sincerely and consistently love the ‘self’ that I find mirrored in my consciousness. I know that You can bring me to appreciate the miracle and privilege of my existence!

How can I refuse to love what God loves! You treasure me, as You love and treasure each unique, human person that You create. Yet I need much grace to love this betrayer of my true being and purpose, myself! I betray Your loving creation of me by failing to be fully ‘the person I am created to be’.

You love each person so much that it led to the incarnation of Your divine Son, and to His redemption of humankind. Jesus is Your response to my betrayal of my destiny and me. Yet frequently I am unconvinced or indifferent before these astounding gifts of divine love for me and for every person!

Please give me grace to value each person as Your beloved and eternal gift. Inspire me with faith and gratitude for the gift of myself, for the lives of dear ones and of all people. Grant that these human gifts are shaped by Your love to become everlasting gifts to You, and through You, eternal gifts to each other person.

Through Jesus, You taught us that cheerful, loving mutual service of others leads to fulfilment of Your creative will. Therefore, give me grace to faithfully say ‘yes’ to Your loving purpose by active respect and charity to others and me. Delight Yourself in me by forming me into the unselfish, joyful, helpful and prayerful person You dreamed me to be for You and others’ souls for time and eternity. 1999

AMEN

Yes. Prayers are needed for those with low self esteem. I know of a wife of a co worker. Very physically attractive, great job and quite successful. But has found the need to enhance her appearance yet more through a cosmetic operation, yet she suffers from mental type problems due to low self esteem. Very sad.

Not sure why this thread was posted, but has struck very close to home tonight. Praying …

Amen. :slight_smile:

Praying for all…

Lord, I love Your commands, and I humbly accept that I am called to 'Love my neighbor as myself." Help me to fully live this commandment that never may I love my neighbor more than myself or fail to love myself as You have loved me. Help me to reject the temptation to compare myself to others or to envy that with which You have seen fit to refrain from blessing me. I submit myself to Your Will and pray for all who do not see that they are created in Your image.

In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Beautiful!

Praying for your intention …

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed are you amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

Thanks for this thread. I need and appreciate these prayers.

Thanks for the prayer.:slight_smile: :thumbsup: I once had low self-esteem, that is until I found courage and strength from God. I’m praying for the others who have low self-esteem to overcome it and realize their worth.

Prayers promised

A beautiful reminder. Thanks Trishie!

I agree. Trishie, this is a wonderful reminder for everyone who suffers from low self-esteem. I am one of these people, as I’m trying to get a new job in a very competitive market (I’m looking to jumpstart a career as a graphic designer, and right now it’s very tough to get professional jobs). I often compare myself to other people who may be more talented or had better luck in getting a job in this industry, and I downplay my own attributes and abilities or think myself to be insignificant.

Thank you for reminding me that not only should I love God and my neighbor, but that I also should have a healthy love for myself. After all, it’s difficult to love your neighbor when you’re unable to love yourself. God bless you. :slight_smile:

I know that this thread is very old. I am hoping that there is someone out there who will still read this and say something to me.

I read in so many places that self-esteem is fundamentally opposed to Catholic teaching, morality and spirituality. I have heard that St. Thomas Acquinas spoke of a “just and well ordered self love,” but it doesn’t seem that he said much about that, but spoke a whole lot about disordered and sinful self love.

I am a divorced man, who still lives with his ex-wife for the sake of the children, whom we both love very much. The few times that my ex-wife still speaks to me, she tells me that I have never loved her, or anyone but myself, that I am…well, some words I cannot repeat here…and that I was the sole cause of our break up. She does not want me to talk to her, even to say hello, and tells me that I am being a “phony” if I greet her at all.

I don’t know if maybe she is right. I hate myself for being all those things, and wish I could die. If she is right, I have really brought more evil than good into the world by my being here…even though it seems I have been trying to do the right thing for years. If I can mean well for 20 years and still have accomplished nothing but suffering for others…what am I worth?

My ex-wife and I are both very devoted Catholics, and both have always believed that marriage is forever and that all marriages can work if both spouses are willing to work. Now, I am in despair.

Does anyone have any guidance for me? I am praying God will send someone to give me some answers.

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

I don’t know anything about if a low self-esteem is against or opposed to the Church or not. I don’t know, but I don’t think so.

I did want to write to you to show that there are others out there that care for you. I think what you and your wife are doing is selfless for the sake of the kids. I have three divorce sisters and only one gets along with her ex. The others are like what you describe with your wife.

Even if your wife doesn’t want to talk to you, you can still show her love by your examples. When she sees the change in your, she may start talking to you. Never lose hope. Pray, pray and pray some more. Spend time asking the Lord His will for you. Be the best dad possible for a woman loves to see that. Be genuine though as well. Teach your kids about the Lord and read them stories, play with them and etc. When you wife sees this with you changing as well, she may change her mind. Also no marriage is 100% one persons fault. She had something to do with the separation as well. Remember also, that if you married in the Catholic Church, you really still are married to her. Only the Church can decide if you had a sacramental marriage or not. If she has not filed for annulment, you may still have a change. Love her by your actions. She is not willing to talk now, so just show her by the things you do around the house and how you treat the kids. Get closer to Jesus to know your Father and the love between them the Holy Spirit.

I know life is not always easy. I am in an unhappy marriage and our daughter doesn’t appreciate us and goes against everything we have taught her. Yes, this upsets me, but she is 13 and thinks she knows it all. For now, my dh and I have to show her by example what it means to be a good Catholic Christian. She doesn’t want to hear from us.

I will keep you in my prayers. Don’t give up and as today is Divine Mercy Sunday, or it was about 14 minutes ago, please put your trust in God’s Mercy. :slight_smile:

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.