For those with OCD, specifically scrupulosity

Some one very close to me (not me, seriously) seems to be having a very hard time trusting in the mercy of God due to her scrupulosity. It’s really taking its toll on her faith and self esteem. Please pray for her and all with obsessive-compulsive disorders.

On that note I’d also like to ask if anyone knows of a way to find a good Catholic psychiatrist in my area. I couldn’t find a useful tool online… :frowning:

Thank you all!

Praying for your friend…she might also talk to a Priest who could help her deal with some of the spiritual issues…

Lord in Your kindness, please give trust and peace to the scrupulous, please give peace to this suffering person.

*“Out of His infinite glory, may He give you the power through His Spirit for your hidden self to grow strong, so that Christ may live in your hearts through faith, and then, planted in love and built on love, you will with all the saints have strength to grasp the breadth and the length, the height and the depth; until knowing the love of Christ, which is beyond all knowledge, you are filled with the utter fullness of God.
Glory to Him whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine.” [Ephesians 3:16-20]

“The man who with his whole heart serves God will be accepted, his petitions carry to the clouds. The humble man’s prayer pierces the clouds, until it arrives he is inconsolable, nor will he desist until the Most High takes notice of him, acquits the virtuous and delivers judgement. And the Lord will not…be dilatory on their behalf (and will) make them rejoice in His mercy. Mercy is welcome in time of trouble, like rain clouds in time of drought.” [Ecclesiasticus 35:16-19, 23-24]*

God I believe that You watch over all that You create. I resolve to trust You completely, regardless of any circumstance in my life or in others’ lives.

I do not rely on my good works, prayers, or penance. I will not be discouraged by my frailties, temptations or infidelities. I trust only in Your merciful love.

You desire that we live in joy and peace. However, joy and peace cannot survive without trust, hope and gratitude. Ingratitude begets sin now, just as surely as in the Garden of Eden. Grant us hope, trust and gratitude in both joy and sorrow.

Prayers going up for your friend. I too have OCD, specifically scrupulosity. The last 2 years have been the most difficult and challenging in my spiritual walk, but as hard as they have been at times, it has also drawn me much closer to the Lord. Your friend may need medication and/or counseling, I have been on Paxil for a year, but am weaning myself off it. Paxil helps, but there are side effects, your friend should go in eyes wide open if medication is prescribed. Scrupulosity takes the focus off Jesus and puts it on yourself, it’s in some ways a bizarre and twisted form of pride. I am VERY familiar with this so feel free to PM me if you need any additional information. I think there’s quite a few folks out there like this, but are afraid to come forward. Encourage your friend, as Father Vincent here at CA has done for me, that the Lord is fully aware of what they are going through, and it is a cross. The Lord’s agony in the Garden was mental before it was physical, through this suffering, even though at times it’s REALLY hard, this suffering can and will bring us closer to God. Everyone is different, so it is best to get seen by a professional, and find a priest who is familiar with this conditino, and ONLY go to confession with that priest.

God Bless
Kevin

[LIST]
*]CatholicTherapists.com[/LIST]
:thumbsup:

That’s perfect; thanks!!!

Also, to those with OCD or knowledge of it: what impact, if any, does age have on the assessment of it? The person in question is 13.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death. Amen

Praying

Lord in Your kindness, please give trust and peace to the scrupulous, please give peace to this suffering person.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Lord, you know I used to suffer from scrupulosity very badly. Thank you for healing me of most of my problem with it. I pray for xenocryst’s friend that she can be healed of her scrupulosity too. May she find a good confessor and a good doctor, and may she read good books on scrupulosity (Understanding Scrupulosity by Fr. Santa is wonderful.) so she can get past this sickness that has struck many good Catholics’ lives, including St. Alphonsus Liguori and St. Therese of the Child Jesus when she was a child. Heal your daughter, Lord, and help her get the help she needs to overcome this sickness. Amen.

That is a great book ready.

Also my confessor has me saying the Rosary nightly…I honestly didn’t think it would do much good but I did it because my confessor told me to. It REALLY has helped, praise be Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary.

I was a doubter…DON’T doubt the power of the Rosary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.