For those with youngsters at home; how clean is your house

I just wanted to see how other people rate their own homes, and how much of a struggle you’re having with keeping it under control. Might make me feel better about mine:(.

Weirdly, I did better when my guys were little. I guess I either gave up, let some of my standards go, or got lazy. The amount of STUFF we have multiplied as they got older too. The more STUFF, the more stuff there is to take care of.

My stepmother has the best attitude about housework. She told me once not to let housework become my God.

:thumbsup:

The dirt will always be there, kind of like the poor. Kids grow up fast and then leave, and when they do, the house stays cleaner but it's a lot quieter too. Enjoy the kids now and don't worry about the dirt!

(oh and let them help you clean too)

That’s the way it is with us. When we only had dd and back when she was a baby it was easier to keep the house clean. Now, it’s hit or miss. I’ll deal with it when I feel like it is my basic attitude. Although I do make sure to stay on top of the dishes and laundry.

Is there a section for “I’m embarrassed by how I live”? My pack rat children come by the tendency naturally. Their father refuses to part with things also. There is so much clutter that actual cleaning is ten times the chore it would normally be. I am at home with the kids (or,rather, in the CAR) and I work part time. I have neither the time nor the energy to clean it properly. Someday that will change, but probably not anytime soon.

Could you tell my husband that?

His parents, who have always had a spotless house, are on his case about ours. He doesn't understand why I can't keep ours consistently clean like her. It all came to a head the other day after I accused him of always finding something to complain about when he walked in the door. Admittedly he is under immense pressure at work and he is very worried about providing for the family into the future.

I stormed off after he made a pretty harsh remark about my dubious housekeeping abilities. He sorted the kids out, got their dinner, yelled at them and told them that we were fighting because "you destroyed the house and Mummy didn't stop you". He then told them that the back room (a large living room and bedroom, pretty much self-contained) is out of bounds to the kids, and that is his room.

I told him that if that's how he wants it, he can stay there. This has been two days now and he's staying in the back room. Normally we have a very loving relationship, but it has been deteriorating since he got this job. He's become very critical, snaps at the slightest thing, gets home late every night... I could go on. I fully expect that he will apologise tonight and things will be good for a few weeks.

I really want to be a great mother and wife, but I'm failing badly. I have the Holly Pierlot book about mothering, and it is wonderful, but only when I do it, and I just can't find the motivation to stick to it. I yell at the kids, I tend towards laziness, I hold grudges against my husband and often treat him like one of the kids. I know that I can't change him, and I can only change myself, and I suspect that if I could stop being so angry, it would rub off on him somewhat. So for crying out loud, how do I become one of those wonderful humble mothers who have patience to burn?

Boy, I didn't expect to write all this, I might have to print this out and take it to confession! :D

ours is normally messy till we have time on the weekend to have a big clean up though it’s nice to see others are simular

Funny how tensions seem to highlight problems in “leaving and cleaving!” Or, maybe your hubby is just looking for a fight and that’s the arena he knows he can rope you into…His mother’s housekeeping should not enter into your home at all. Not one iota. She was probably somewhat of a tyrant if he were to really stop and think about it - when people say “spotless,” what I hear is “anal and compulsive.” Life isn’t spotless! Kids aren’t spotless!

Sounds like you need to vent, and then maybe talk to your husband about what’s bothering the two of you? Tell him you are ready to work on the problems together, as a team, to see what you can both do to make your home life happier. It is important to a man to have some order in the home when he comes home from work. The house doesn’t have to be spotless but if he walks into chaos, it can really throw him into a tizzy. I’m not one to meet my hubby at the door with a drink and his slippers, but if the place is a total wreck, his face hardens…

How many kids do you have and what ages? It changes as they get older…they make even more laundry…eat constantly…leave stuff everywhere. But they are also able to clean and do heavy chores, if they are trained. Make it fun. Here’s a great website for getting them to keep their rooms clean.

housefairy.org/

I wish I’d had this when my sons were small, they’d have LOVED it!

My place--usually messy. I feel I am playng "wack a mole".... I clean one area and the rest of the house gets trashed! Or little ones start uncleaning....

Yes, I feel lazy sometimes, but I am learning to not be so hard on myself. Life happens, and sometimes that gets in the way of a clean house.

Best of luck with your husband. I pray you will be able to diffuse the situation!

For us the key is keeping very few possessions. I have some training in Six Sigma and there is this exercise called the 5 S’s. It may seem odd to use a system like this to keep your place straight, but it works wonders.

After reading the first 3 sentences, I could have sworn you were my wife referring to me and our boys…lol…
Our house is clean, but has clutter. My wife is wonderful-she works 12hr. shifts at the hospital, and also does alot of the housework, though I am coinvincing her that I do know how to clean, too. :slight_smile: We have 3 boys, all under the age of 4, who insist that every toy they own cannot be given away or sold in a garage sale. I’m pretty sure they learned this from me…but I am getting better. We just spent the last 2 days getting our house back to the way it looked 4 years ago, but it’s never going to be the same. But honestly, when we look around at our “mess” of a house, we wouldn’t have it any other way. :slight_smile:

Ah, I do feel a bit better now! Thank you everyone... for being less than perfect :shrug:

Julianne, I have five kids ranging from 8 years to 20 months (she's the worst of them!). Thanks for the web link - I'll go have a look at that now.

fermat - I had some minor exposure to Six Sigma back in my past life when I was a design engineer. Might make me feel a little bit more like myself to do an analysis of my house!

[quote="fermat, post:9, topic:240705"]
For us the key is keeping very few possessions. I have some training in Six Sigma and there is this exercise called the 5 S's. It may seem odd to use a system like this to keep your place straight, but it works wonders.

[/quote]

I don't know about this formal approach, but I am finding the wisdom of this as I go.

Less really does mean more: more time, more space, more creativity, more love.

BTW: I have the ... fastidious mother-in-law syndrome also. I had let hubby know BEFORE we were married that I was not his mother and he was welcome to go live with her if he ever expects me to be. He shuddered at the notion.

For our first Christmas together, mom-in-law gave me a pack of sponges... it's gone on like that for some time, but we (my husband & I) just laugh. It helps that hubbie's office is at home and he sees directly that there ain't no slacking going on around here. ~lol~

If a man does not like how messy a house is, he should always feel welcome to clean. We try to limit the messes to certain confined areas, usually one table, dresser or corner in each room. I sweep and mop a couple of times a week. My wife and I usually do a good, thorough cleaning to one area at a time as our tolerance permits. Laundry, I do like clock work twice a week, sheets every other time. Dishes don't usually pile more than a day or so, if at all. That's my life. I grew up in an immaculate environment and do not mind housework much at all. I will never put a clean house ahead of family, though. We will do the best we can and live with what we can do.

[quote="InspiritCarol, post:12, topic:240705"]
I don't know about this formal approach, but I am finding the wisdom of this as I go.

Less really does mean more: more time, more space, more creativity, more love.

BTW: I have the ... fastidious mother-in-law syndrome also. I had let hubby know BEFORE we were married that I was not his mother and he was welcome to go live with her if he ever expects me to be. He shuddered at the notion.

For our first Christmas together, mom-in-law gave me a pack of sponges... it's gone on like that for some time, but we (my husband & I) just laugh. It helps that hubbie's office is at home and he sees directly that there ain't no slacking going on around here. ~lol~

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::bigyikes:

That's hilarious, and would get a lot of mileage in this house. Some people would start WWIII over something like that, but I find it too pathetic to get angry at, it's better just to laugh and pray for someone like that. "Oh you gave me some of your favorite brand of sponges, THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

:rotfl:

I voted almost always messy. (I wish there was an option for almost always "dirty" cause I think that describes our situation a little better). I too, believed that keeping the house clean would get easier when they got older - boy, do I feel like a fool now!! The worst part is that the older ones are in school all day, but by the time they get home there are jackets, schoolbags/books all over the floor... Then, it's snack time. So once again, there are crumbs, spilled milk, etc. I've tried everything to get them put away their things when they walk in the door, but they are either deaf to this topic or don't have any idea what "clean" is. Oddly enough, the two older children are the ones who dirty the house the most. Even though they have been trained, and nagged extensively.

Our house rule is that they must clean their rooms and the living room before they get to settle down to the TV and video games just before supper. But from the time they get home from school to about 4:30, I can hardly walk across the living room floor!

I wouldn't trade my kids anyday a spotless (childless) home. Whoever walks into my door hoping to see a sparkling home better turn around run!

Speaking of cleaning, I gotta get those toilets cleaned NOW! Eeew! Life with boys, lol:D.

is this a trick question?
youngsters and clean house in the same sentence?
let us refine the poll
how clean is your house if you have an infant?
how clean is your house with toddlers and pre-schoolers?
how clean is your house with teenagers?

Pretty clean.:thumbsup:

The less clutter, the easier to clean, so I try to keep the majority of the clutter confined to one room (computer room). That room needs work. But I can close the doors and ignore it. :slight_smile: Everything else pretty much has a place. I use a day planner to keep track of when I’ve last cleaned (i.e. scrubbed toilets or dusted) and I find it helps stay on top of things. :thumbsup:

DH’s definition of a clean house is one that can be speed cleaned in 5 minutes before company. :slight_smile:

KG

Mine is surface dirty but usually deep clean? Does that make sense? It quite often looks mess because a tornado of children will blow through, but it only takes a few minutes to get everything straightened and beyond that it is MOSTLY clean and MOSTLY organized. Just don't look behind the stove.

[quote="kevinsgirl, post:17, topic:240705"]
Pr

DH's definition of a clean house is one that can be speed cleaned in 5 minutes before company. :)

KG

[/quote]

how sweet of DH to volunteer to do that 5 minute sweep

my def. of a clean home was one that did not warrant a visit from the health department.

srsly we learned the key was to declutter and simplify to the point that each room could be done in 5 minutes (excepting floors)

[quote="puzzleannie, post:19, topic:240705"]
how sweet of DH to volunteer to do that 5 minute sweep

my def. of a clean home was one that did not warrant a visit from the health department.

srsly we learned the key was to declutter and simplify to the point that each room could be done in 5 minutes (excepting floors)

[/quote]

lol...he actually does volunteer...

I'm the one that tends to obsess about things being too messy. :shrug:

I lucked out in the sweet husband department. :)

KG

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.