For Unbelievers a Shortly World Life but Paying Everlasting Hell Punisment!

I wonder if somebody see and think any injustice for eternal Hell penalty. Although God is so merciful and graceful than how could God consent to such very grievous penalty? Myself ı have some answers:

God is eternal with all attributes and so who reject and deny God’s existence than commit an eternal crime. On the earth penalty of killing someone can be life-last imprisonment penalty. life on the world is temporal so penalty is short. But God is eternal and other world is eternal. And God gives us countless blessing but with denial we commit countless punishment.

There are some statements in Muhammed’s (peace be upon him) Hadiths that Mercy and Grace of God is for everyone so that people in Hell will suffer because of their sins. After paying for sins they will become familiar with Hell pains and will not suffer any more. But they will stay in Hell forever because of denial existence of God.

Any different thoughts? Thanks!

Personally, I don’t believe an all-merciful G-d would keep someone in hell for eternity. If I, a mere mortal with finite compassion, would not do so, how could G-d? Don’t forget that we are created in the image and likeness of G-d, and thus contain within us a pale reflection of G-d’s love and justice. Now, some will argue that G-d gives us what we choose and want if we are evil, which is separation from Him. That is more conceivable to my fallible mind, rather than endless physical or psychological torment. Others, who practice Judaism, albeit a minority viewpoint, believe that the souls of the truly evil and unrepentant are annihilated. This too seems more merciful than eternal pain and suffering maintained by a G-d of eternal love and compassion. Finally, denial of the existence of G-d is not necessarily grounds for hell (which is ill-defined in Judaism). One is judged by one’s deeds in this life, not entirely or even mainly by one’s faith, according to Jewish belief. In fact, some hold that it is we who judge ourselves in the heavenly tribunal in response to the accusations of HaSatan and then G-d passes sentence, while HaSatan executes that sentence if it is targeted toward hell, since G-d Himself cannot bear to send someone to hell directly.

I think I sense a trace of compassion for those in hell. :smiley:

Hell is the ultimate destination of those who persist in their denial of God, and the chief pain of Hell is eternal separation from God, who is the source of all that is good. The other pains of Hell are secondary to this. The reason that God does not obliterate the soul (at least insofar as I understand the Church’s teaching on this issue) is because God created our souls to be eternal, therefore, it would be a contradiction for him to uncreate them.

Keep in mind, when discussing this, that Hell is not a punishment forced on the sinful; not in the same way a prison sentence is to a murderer. Hell is the end freely chosen by the sinful due to their persistent rejection of God. If a person on Earth continually chooses themselves over God, then their soul will do the same. On the other hand, those who do chose God, but persist in their sin, when faced with the evils they have done against God, the ultimate good, throw themselves into the fires because they cannot bear to be in His presence. You cannot call something unjust if we chose it for ourselves. (Note, I’m not super well versed in this so far as Church teaching is concerned. If any other Catholics read this and see something I’ve stated that is wrong, please correct me ^^)

The fact that God lets them exist is compassion. God does indeed send people to Hell but that is because they reject him who is all love. The person would hate being in heaven because they hate God so God being all loving grants them their wish however painful it maybe

In Baha’u’llah’s writings I have seen descriptions that fit into 3 seemingly contradictory ideas:

1. eternal damnation for unbelievers,
  2. God’s mercy and grace overriding His justice and punishment
  3. and symbolic non-literal definitions of hell and heaven.

I don’t know. Where, here or hell? So man rejects Gods grace and mercy, His love, His compassion, and in HIs compassion He created eternal hell “yet to be defined”, and you get to remain for eternity there in compassion?

So in compassion you don’t have to suffer whatever degree of suffering in which you were first subjected to at arrival at hell, and in compassion you get to remain in eternal damnation, hell, is repentance still required or just orderly conduct? :slight_smile:

I think we just invented the US penal system with mandatory life sentence.

God’s peace. There are numerous examples of sinners being cast into Hell in the Bible, but I have yet to find one where the sinner casts himself into Hell. I think the notion that Sinners cast themselves into Hell is an attempt to avoid the clear teaching of the Church (CCC 1034 ff.). The wicked make everlasting choices when they die in mortal sin and spend eternity expiating those sins in Hell. Blessings, ~Br. Carlo~

How does this negate or avoid the position that they cast themselves into Hell?

When a judge makes a judgement, he is not creating the person’s lawlessness. He is discerning that which already exists, which is the persons’ lawlessness. Judgement is not a creative act, but rather an act of revelation. Judgement reveals the fundamental nature of who that person is, and whether they have chosen to love God or not, and this is something that is impossible to be changed via compulsion. This is why it is true that even while suffering the pains of Hell, though the souls claim to repent, they are not repenting, but merely surrendering in defeat and seeking a reprieve to their torments. Temporal sin is punished temporally, but those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit are sinning for eternity because of who they are. Their disposition insults God endlessly. It is no wonder that many of those who have had private revelations of Hell speak of the endless cries of hatred being shrieked from the damned. The punishment of the damned is therefore not just retroactively punishing for the fleeting sins of earthly life - which would be Purgatory - but punishing for the endless sin which has become a part of who they are as a person. Those in Hell continue to sin, and will do so endlessly, and through their sin, their punishment is forever perpetuated in turn.

I’m inclined to let God be God and not make him in my finite and imperfect image.

Maybe this merciful God who sees everything is merciful in another way. Consider the saints in heaven who have persevered doing God’s will in an heroic manner; to say that all would go to heaven would mean that they would be in a paradise with those who are selfish and unloving. Doesn’t really sound very heavenly…This is, actually a good argument for the existence of Purgatory. Another chance to get it right. Now that’s mercy!

Yes, I agree that G-d’s understanding of the whole picture is infinitely more complete and complex than our own. His ways and thoughts are often beyond our human comprehension, as the Bible states, and we should not think of ourselves as miniature gods because we were created in His image and likeness. We hardly understand the immense suffering in this world let alone an eternity of suffering in the afterlife. Yet, even as we may question with the rational mind that G-d bestowed upon us, we must realize that our reason is limited and that we need to trust G-d has a plan for all of us which is both just and merciful.

Meltzer, I am curious about something I’ve noticed in your posts. Why do you write G-d instead of God. Does it have to do with the same reason most Jewish people I know of won’t use God’s proper name? On a similar note, does it bother you when we write God?

This abbreviation, G-d or Gd, is both a sign of respect and awe toward G-d, whose full nature we are unable to comprehend, and based on a concern that G-d’s name (of course this is not His real name) might be intentionally or inadvertently deleted. In speech, many Jews refer to G-d as HaShem, which is likewise not His full name, and in Hebrew scripture, Adonai is used. No, it doesn’t bother me if you do not abbreviate G-d. Who am I to judge, as Pope Francis would say (not comparing myself to the Pontiff!).

If hell exists (which I don’t believe it does), I have no problem going there. I’m not going to worship a God like the one described by Islam and Christianity.

For starters, despite being the same God, the Islamic understanding of God is a far, far cry from the Catholic understanding of God. That said, what, exactly, do you dislike about God? Why be so obstinate in your refusal? If faced with the reality of God as he’s revealed himself to the Church, why would you chose Hell over Him?

His actions.

Which actions in particular?

Also, not to be rude, but your signature .gif is headache-inducing >_> The images are shifting too quickly, and the color difference between them is too great.

Giving people infinite punishment for finite actions.
Unjustly wiping out most of the world’s population (though I don’t know if you interpret that story literally or metaphorically)
Punishing all of humanity for the sins of two people

and the list goes on and on.

Also, not to be rude, but your signature .gif is headache-inducing >_> The images are shifting too fast, and the color difference between them is too great.

Don’t stare then :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.