Foreshadowing in Proverbs

I’ve been reading Proverbs and I just wanted to share these passages I found interesting.

This passage is the personification of wisdom talking in first person:

#1"The Lord begot me, the firstborn of his ways, the forerunner of his prodigies long ago; From of old I was poured forth at the first, before the earth…When he established the heavens I was there…Then was I beside him as his craftsman, and I was his delight day by day, Playing before him all the while, playing on the surface of the earth; and I found delight in the sons of men…For he who finds me finds life, and wins favor from the Lord; But he who misses me harms himself; all who hate me love death (Prv 8: 22-23, 27, 30-31, 35-36)

This is remarkably similar to the Prologue of John’s Gospel. Wisdom is Jesus, the Word. Wisdom was in the beginning with God, and was begotten of God. The world was made through Wisdom, God’s craftsman. Wisdom gives life. Wisdom found delight in mankind and offers itself to them, just as the Word became flesh and made his dwelling with man.

This and many other passages describe wisdom in very similar terms to Jesus in the New Testament. Another example from the same chapter is “Those who love me I also love, and those who seek me find me” (17). Doesn’t that sound just like Jesus talking? It’s very fascinating.

#2 “If you remain indifferent in time of adversity, your strength will depart from you. Rescue those who are being dragged to death, and from those tottering to execution withdraw not. If you say, “I know not this man!” does not he who tests hearts perceive it? He who guards your life knows it, and he will repay each one according to his deeds.” (Prv 24:10-12)

This is what happened with Peter. Jesus was being led to his unjust death, and Peter was not willing to stand beside him at his trial. Peter should have recalled this passage from scripture and maybe he wouldn’t have denied Jesus with an oath, saying “I do not know the man!” (Matt. 26:72)

1 Corinthians 1:24
But unto them which are called,
both Jews and Greeks,
Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.