Forget Chemical Weapons. Assad Regime Uses Starvation as Tactic Against Rebels

world.time.com/2013/10/07/forget-chemical-weapons-assad-regime-uses-starvation-as-tactic-against-rebels/

[LIST]
*]With the threat of using chemical weapons now off the table, the Syrian regime has apparently turned to even more punitive actions to force rebellious citizens into submission: blockade-induced starvation. For months now the government of President Bashar Assad has encircled the rebel-aligned suburbs south and east of the capital Damascus, cutting off road access, telephone connections, water and electricity. But in the wake of the Aug. 21 chemical-weapon attack on the area, which rebels and the West blame on the regime, the government tightened the blockade even further, increasing fears that mass starvation might lead to even more deaths than the estimated 400 to 1,400 victims of the chemical attacks. Already six have died from malnutrition, according to activists, and as winter approaches, conditions are likely to worsen. One rebel brigade has dedicated its forces to breaking the siege in Moadhamiya, a town about 10 km from Damascus that has been under siege for more than six months.
[/LIST]

Cruel and heartless!!! I’m re-thinking the American response not to use military weapons against Assad.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:1, topic:341632"]
world.time.com/2013/10/07/forget-chemical-weapons-assad-regime-uses-starvation-as-tactic-against-rebels/

[LIST]
*]With the threat of using chemical weapons now off the table, the Syrian regime has apparently turned to even more punitive actions to force rebellious citizens into submission: blockade-induced starvation. For months now the government of President Bashar Assad has encircled the rebel-aligned suburbs south and east of the capital Damascus, cutting off road access, telephone connections, water and electricity. But in the wake of the Aug. 21 chemical-weapon attack on the area, which rebels and the West blame on the regime, the government tightened the blockade even further, increasing fears that mass starvation might lead to even more deaths than the estimated 400 to 1,400 victims of the chemical attacks. Already six have died from malnutrition, according to activists, and as winter approaches, conditions are likely to worsen. One rebel brigade has dedicated its forces to breaking the siege in Moadhamiya, a town about 10 km from Damascus that has been under siege for more than six months.
[/LIST]

Cruel and heartless!!! I'm re-thinking the American response not to use military weapons against Assad.

[/quote]

War sucks.

I'm not sure of anyone who feeds their enemies in a war though.

American Civil War the same thing happened against the Confederates.

[quote="Jon_S, post:2, topic:341632"]
War sucks.

I'm not sure of anyone who feeds their enemies in a war though.

American Civil War the same thing happened against the Confederates.

[/quote]

It's a crime against humanity, just like the use of chemical weapons. It's a war crime. Some things in war you must not do anymore.

Nobody is drawing a a red line on this though.

Since when should we feed the enemy? Should American forces had to feed Al-Qaeda?

Why can we kill Somali’s but Assad has to feed the Al-Qaeda Rebels?

It's a war crime? So, what's the next step as opposed to firing cruise missiles and dropping tons of ordnance? And where would we drop it? I don't think Assad is stupid enough to put many of his military assets clustered together.

Meanwhile, Defense Contractors in the US are lobbying the President right now to do just that. War crime trials take a long time. "Mr. President, we can get bombs on target in 20 minutes!"

God have mercy,
Ed

There are a lot of starving people in America. Is Obama the one to blame for all the ones in America who are starving?

[quote="saintjohnxxiii, post:5, topic:341632"]
Since when should we feed the enemy? Should American forces had to feed Al-Qaeda?

Why can we kill Somali's but Assad has to feed the Al-Qaeda Rebels?

[/quote]

Since when are innocent women and children the 'enemy?'

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:8, topic:341632"]
Since when are innocent women and children the 'enemy?'

[/quote]

They aren't.

But a rebel group is. They took over part of the country and are trying to take over more. They want the government gone. It is their responsibility to provide for the land they have conquered.

This is why wars should be avoided. It's not a war crime,it's just war. War is atrocious.

[quote="Jon_S, post:9, topic:341632"]
They took over part of the country and are trying to take over more. They want the government gone. It is their responsibility to provide for the land they have conquered.

This is why wars should be avoided. It's not a war crime,it's just war. War is atrocious.

[/quote]

I agree. The "rebels" are the ones who started this war in the first place.

War crimes are only prosecuted if the person/people who committed the war crimes are on the "losing" side of the war (in actuality, there are no real winners in any war - just countries and/or populations that are slightly less destroyed). War crimes committed by the "winners" rarely get prosecuted.

Again, the problem with Syria is that both sides are just as guilty of extremely heinous acts. Many (but not all) of the "rebels" are al Qaeda terrorists, though there are also many on the side of the rebels who are simply desperately oppressed people. The Assad regime uses Hezbollah fighters from Lebanon and is funded by Iran and Russia. Caught in the middle are all these civilian groups - women, children, Christians, Kurds, and the like - who are just scared of the violence and who want to be protected at all costs. Unfortunately, both sides have taken the position of "you're either with us or you're against us" - which in and of itself has caused catastrophes on a monstrous scale. This war has been raging for what, 2 years? And it has no end in sight. Honestly, we need to be creative enough to figure out a way to protect as many civilians in Syria as possible without taking either side in the fight.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:10, topic:341632"]
I agree. The "rebels" are the ones who started this war in the first place.

[/quote]

Yeah when this all started 2 years ago, I asked my Syrian neighbor who has tons of family in Syria what he thought. He is a Christian, and I expected him to say how good the "Arab Spring" was and democracy in Syria.

I was surprised when he said, "Jon, Syria is a beautiful, safe, stable country, at least it was, and Assad has protected all people. Now it is just the Muslims who want it to be a Muslim only country." He then asked me to keep his Christian family in my prayers, and since, much of his family are dead or refugees.

:(

[quote="Jon_S, post:12, topic:341632"]
Yeah when this all started 2 years ago, I asked my Syrian neighbor who has tons of family in Syria what he thought. He is a Christian, and I expected him to say how good the "Arab Spring" was and democracy in Syria.

I was surprised when he said, "Jon, Syria is a beautiful, safe, stable country, at least it was, and Assad has protected all people. Now it is just the Muslims who want it to be a Muslim only country." He then asked me to keep his Christian family in my prayers, and since, much of his family are dead or refugees.

:(

[/quote]

The ones who were rattling sabres talking about bombing Syria would conveniently never mention who started the war in the first place.

In fact, Obama is starving the Syrian nation by sanctions: they aren't able to buy food, seed and other necessities. He's been doing the same thing to Iran. If he doesn't like a nation or wants to force it into submission, he begins by starving it of food and necessities.

This is all over the internet media.

But, you say Assad is an evil guy for blockading those who are trying to overthrow his government?

Sounds biased to me.

[quote="bsroufek, post:14, topic:341632"]
In fact, Obama is starving the Syrian nation by sanctions: they aren't able to buy food, seed and other necessities. He's been doing the same thing to Iran. If he doesn't like a nation or wants to force it into submission, he begins by starving it of food and necessities.

This is all over the internet media.

But, you say Assad is an evil guy for blockading those who are trying to overthrow his government?

Sounds biased to me.

[/quote]

Innocent women and children are trying to overthrow Assad? Why not allow chemical weapons to boot.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:15, topic:341632"]
Innocent women and children are trying to overthrow Assad? Why not allow chemical weapons to boot.

[/quote]

First of all, women and children have often been victims of war throughout history: Scripture shows this--"ripping open the pregnant women", rape, kidnapping, etc.

Next, Assad is apparently blockading those areas where his enemies are fighting him. While, Obama is sanctioning the whole country--but recently allowing the rebels to buy food with money he provides them.

What's the difference between Assad and Obama? Assad has as a cause the defense of his government, while Obama's government/nation is not threatened by Syria--at least until his terrorists achieve their goal; then they'll turn against us in their "global jihad".

[quote="bsroufek, post:16, topic:341632"]
First of all, women and children have often been victims of war throughout history: Scripture shows this--"ripping open the pregnant women", rape, kidnapping, etc.

Next, Assad is apparently blockading those areas where his enemies are fighting him. While, Obama is sanctioning the whole country--but recently allowing the rebels to buy food with money he provides them.

What's the difference between Assad and Obama? Assad has as a cause the defense of his government, while Obama's government/nation is not threatened by Syria--at least until his terrorists achieve their goal; then they'll turn against us in their "global jihad".

[/quote]

I did not see where innocent women and children went starving to death over Obama's sanctions, whereas that's what's happening with Assad's blockade.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:17, topic:341632"]
I did not see where innocent women and children went starving to death over Obama's sanctions, whereas that's what's happening with Assad's blockade.

[/quote]

You've got to be kidding.

Look at N Korea. People are starving horrifically!

How do you propose Assad feeds the people in the rebel controlled areas ?

Do you really think the fighters will not take any aid for themselves? Leaving the common people starving and the soldiers well fed.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:15, topic:341632"]

[/quote]

Source on the claim of innocence?

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

William Tecumseh Sherman

Read more at brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williamtec190612.html#scoJje9Y29Krc2td.99

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.