Forgetting/Remembering

Say I go to confession and I confess the sin of shoplifting with one particular time in mind, say I stole a pack of gum. Then I leave and I remember another time that I stole a can of soda. Do I have to re-confess shoplifting because I had that one time in mind but not the other?

No, you do not, unless it was mortal, which it was not.

[quote="dshix, post:2, topic:319622"]
No, you do not, unless it was mortal, which it was not.

[/quote]

Well that wasn't the sin I had in mind I was just using it as an example. So say for instance you fornicate twice. You remember the first time, confess it, and don't confess the second time because you forget (just using this as an example). Would you have to confess it again?

[quote="DavidSears, post:3, topic:319622"]
Well that wasn't the sin I had in mind I was just using it as an example. So say for instance you fornicate twice. You remember the first time, confess it, and don't confess the second time because you forget (just using this as an example). Would you have to confess it again?

[/quote]

In this case, if you confess, "I fornicated once," get out of confession, and realize that you fornicated twice, then you would need to confess it at your next confession, because there is one unconfessed mortal sin. You confessed the type, but not the number.

I see. Thank you! I actually forgot the actual sin I had in mind now… :doh2:

lol. :smiley:

Well, I guess you don’t have to confess it until it comes to mind again, do you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a note...if it was a mortal sin that you forgot, you would need to bring it up at the next Confession (if you didn't forget again, lol!), BUT it seems important to remember that that sin has already been absolved, if you failed to confess out of poor memory and not deliberately.

On that note, I hadn’t been to confession in over 10+ years, and I’m sure that there are sins that I had forgotten to confess, and sins that I can’t remember confessing or not. One ‘large’ one I confessed had been forgiven years before that.

I recently went twice last month, and confessed sins, including the word ‘numerous’. It was a serious enough sin that needed confessing. I couldn’t have said what the total number was, quite honestly. The priest did not ask how many times, but I was truly aggrieved, saddened by my actions and sorrowful. For example, we did not attend Mass regularly (sometimes, never), and say we hadn’t went in 10 years, that’s no less than 520+ times, plus holidays. While many others here have said you must share exactly how many times, and that disturbed me greatly, I went for it…and the priest didn’t ask for a number. I trust in the Lord that I have been forgiven, and the priest’s words were clearly the Lord’s.

In my 2nd confession, I alluded to having rememberances of those sins, which I was concerned about. He was able to counsel me, and reminded me in a strong but wonderful way that when I walked out that door, I was sinless. Unfortunately, that lasted not as long as I would have liked!:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="ccmcmg, post:8, topic:319622"]
On that note, I hadn't been to confession in over 10+ years, and I'm sure that there are sins that I had forgotten to confess, and sins that I can't remember confessing or not. One 'large' one I confessed had been forgiven years before that.

I recently went twice last month, and confessed sins, including the word 'numerous'. It was a serious enough sin that needed confessing. I couldn't have said what the total number was, quite honestly. The priest did not ask how many times, but I was truly aggrieved, saddened by my actions and sorrowful. For example, we did not attend Mass regularly (sometimes, never), and say we hadn't went in 10 years, that's no less than 520+ times, plus holidays. While many others here have said you must share exactly how many times, and that disturbed me greatly, I went for it...and the priest didn't ask for a number. I trust in the Lord that I have been forgiven, and the priest's words were clearly the Lord's.

In my 2nd confession, I alluded to having rememberances of those sins, which I was concerned about. He was able to counsel me, and reminded me in a strong but wonderful way that when I walked out that door, I was sinless. Unfortunately, that lasted not as long as I would have liked!:p

[/quote]

Welcome back! :D

I would think that if you haven't been to church in 10 years, you could just tell the priest the time period, rather than trying to figure out how many days it was specifically.

[quote="SecretaryMonday, post:9, topic:319622"]
Welcome back! :D

I would think that if you haven't been to church in 10 years, you could just tell the priest the time period, rather than trying to figure out how many days it was specifically.

[/quote]

Thanks. It's good to be home! :) That was only ONE of the specific sins; others unfortunately were too numerous to count, but the priest was awesome. :)

[quote="DavidSears, post:3, topic:319622"]

[/quote]

We are yes obliged to still confess in the next confession the forgotten mortal sin

We are obliged to confess all mortal sins in number and kind (and that which changes the kind --like it was your brother you murdered).

If one forgets to confess a mortal sin or forgets to give the number or one says it was 2x but later realizes it was 3x --such forgotten mortal sins need to be confessed (if they are remembered) in the next confession (or the one after they are remembered).

(for one was contrite and amented and meant to confess them all --but just forgot. Hiding them is a different matter)

(Some out there struggle with scrupulosity and can start to want to confess many un-needful things -- they need a regular confessor to direct them)

Well, since the priest knew my sin, and did not ask me for the number (I said numerous) and told me I was forgiven, I'm going to go with him. No, I don't know the number, nor could I begin to come close.

God knows, and He also knows that, and that I confessed to the best of my ability. I know that others say differently, but I'm at peace, and forgiven. :)

[quote="ccmcmg, post:13, topic:319622"]
Well, since the priest knew my sin, and did not ask me for the number (I said numerous) and told me I was forgiven, I'm going to go with him. No, I don't know the number, nor could I begin to come close.

God knows, and He also knows that, and that I confessed to the best of my ability. I know that others say differently, but I'm at peace, and forgiven. :)

[/quote]

It terms of mortal sin we to confess the number. However -- our memory is not always going to cooperate. One examines ones conscience -- and if one does not know the actual number -- then one may approximate according to what one knows. It may be that I know it was say around 10-15x or around 5x or it may be that what I know is that was several times or many x (numerous).

We proceed in humano modo (in a human way) --our memories are at times limited.

Not in vulcano modo (we are not vulcans -- it was 49.2561 times Captain)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.