Forgiveness and moving on

jesus said to forgive infinitely.

wha’ts the difference between this and moving on from certain people/relationships?

for example, if you know a relationship with a boyfriend just isn’t working?

of a marriage? doesn’t god want the type of forgiveness whichkeeps no records of wrongs and things go back to normal regarding trust. what about constant infedilities and abuse?

when we sin and offend god, we go to confession and then the relationship is restored. we don’t need to earn God’s trust back do we? shouldn’t the same principle apply in human relationships? what would be the difference here?

I had this same question for many years. But I finally learned that forgiveness is one thing; foolishness and allowing the occasion of sin is another.

If I forgive an errant boyfriend for being unfaithful or abusive, I will be set free from the bondage of pain and hurt. BUT that does NOT require me to continue dating him or allowing him to stir up the embers of a broken relationship.

In fact, if I forgive him AND stay involved with him in a romance, I am doing no one a favor.

But if I forgive him but end the relationship, he learns a much more powerful lesson (if he is capable of learning) and I am free to search for someone more worthy of my trust.

God is really the only one worthy of such deep trust. Humans are not perfect and can always disappoint in some way. That is why we continue to forgive. We are all trying to be better people but often it is best to forgive and let someone go for your and their best good. Forgiveness aids us in moving on.

I don’t really think that there is a “difference” between these two things. They are not really comparable.
I can forgive and stay or forgive and move on. I can not forgive and stay or not forgive and move on…
Do you see??

for example, if you know a relationship with a boyfriend just isn’t working?

of a marriage? doesn’t god want the type of forgiveness whichkeeps no records of wrongs and things go back to normal regarding trust. what about constant infedilities and abuse?

when we sin and offend god, we go to confession and then the relationship is restored. we don’t need to earn God’s trust back do we? shouldn’t the same principle apply in human relationships? what would be the difference here?

In the above examples…the common thread would need to be to apply the principle of Agape Love…that is…seeking the highest good for all involved. Forgive - yes - but removing one’s self from a bad relationship can be, as pointed out by Auntie A, a much better lesson - a much better and more loving option - all around.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.