Forgiveness and trust

are they more or less the same thing? i thought forgiveness is more like a gift but trust is earned. but having second thoughts now

the bible talks about forgiveness but not really about trust.

for example, when god forgives our sins, he blots them out and doen'st count them against us. he probably doen'st forget about them but they are no longer separating us from him. but we never really hear about god trusting us. does it not work like that with him?

a more human example, if your spouse cheats on you or one of employee steals something from you, you can forgive them, as in, don't hate them or hold grudges but maintaining the relationship can be hard or sometimes not possible. that would be the trust part?

but if you compare with God's kind of forgiveness, it's like the trust part is encompassed in it as well. so if we applied that to our human lives, it would be like telling the person that did something bad to you that it's ok and the relationship just goes back to normal without any work in earning their trust on their part.

sorry if it's confusing, does anyone get my point though?

I think it’s not so much that when we obtain forgiveness we “earn” God’s trust. He already knows us better than we know ourselves. But I would say that when we are eanestly sorry for our offenses, then he “entrusts” us with more. He gives more graces for us to use. If we use them according to his will, he grants us more graces. On the other hand if we neglect or waste those graces, he holds them back.

I would use the analogy of the family. When the son does what the father wants, he gets more responsibility and rewards. If not, he could have things taken away, or he gets grounded.

Unlike the human father however, who can’t read the heart and mind of his son. God knows our hearts and minds and knows wether we are sorry or not. Or even though we commit sins, he knows if we are truly trying to overcome those sins. When someone sins against us, we often have no way of knowing the truthfulness of that persons repentence.

I hope that’s helpful.

*but if you compare with God’s kind of forgiveness, it’s like the trust part is encompassed in it as well. so if we applied that to our human lives, it would be like telling the person that did something bad to you that it’s ok and the relationship just goes back to normal without any work in earning their trust on their part. *

Forgiveness and a commitment to trust can go hand in hand. Reaching a point of trust is hard work and it doesn’t happen overnight. Forgiveness, as we know, does not mean suddenly being healed of our pain. It also does not mean a sudden restoration of trust in whomever has hurt us. But true forvigeness–that is, accepting one’s repentance fully–encompasses a resolve to restore what has been damaged. I am speaking with your example of a cheating spouse, because the two are one flesh.

In friendships, however, where two are not one flesh and thus can be divided, sometimes forgiveness involves embracing a person for all that they are, and this in itself can sometimes involve a dissolution of the relationship.

…I feel like I may be rambling with my, but I know what I’m trying to say. I’ll have to think about it and maybe post again to clarify myself. :):slight_smile:

He forgives us. We prove our trustworthiness by our actions. “Your sins are forgiven. Go, and sin no more”. And our trustworthiness grows as we remain in communion with Him, which leads to more and more righteousness or justice in us. In the end He’s the justifier, with our cooperation, the one who makes us righteous and therefore trustworthy; He surely knows our history and our hearts better than we do; He surely knows we start out sinners to one degree or another, in need of His Spirit to help sanctify us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.