Forgiveness of sins, raising the dead!

John 20:22-23: Jesus gave the apostles the power to forgive and absolve sin…and this power passed on to their successors. Now, in Matthew 10:8: Jesus tells the apostles to "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. Now I know there are healing services in which I am sure some have been healed. Did the authority to “raise the dead” pass down to the apostles successors like the power to forgive sin? If so, is there an incident where a priest raised someone from the dead?

Try this:
**Saints Who Raised the Dead
**True Stories of 400 Resurrection Miracles
By: Rev. Albert J. Hebert

http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/sain1963.jpg http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif
Stories from the lives of St. Francis Xavier, St. Patrick, St. John Bosco, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Rose of Lima, Bl. Margaret of Castello, etc. Includes the raising of persons who had died, descriptions of Heaven, Hell and Purgatory by temporarily dead persons and an analysis of contemporary “after death” experiences. Many pictures of the saints and their miracles. Fascinating. Formerly published by TAN under the title “Raised from the Dead”. www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/253/

Todd: I know there have been miracles of people being raised from the dead…including some of the Saints. I would like to know if my parish priest has that power? Just like he has the power to forgive my sins. Are there any incidents of priests raising people from the dead?

In my opinion, raising the physically dead would be considered an “extraordinary charism” or “special grace” and not a “sacramental grace” and, so, distinct from the graces received with Holy Orders.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
2003. Grace is first and foremost the gift of the Spirit who justifies and
sanctifies us. But grace also includes the gifts that the Spirit grants us
to associate us with his work, to enable us to collaborate in the
salvation of others and in the growth of the Body of Christ, the Church.
There are sacramental graces, gifts proper to the different sacraments.
There are furthermore special graces, also called charisms after the Greek
term used by St. Paul and meaning “favor,” “gratuitous gift,”
“benefit.” Whatever their character - sometimes it is extraordinary,
such as the gift of miracles or of tongues - charisms are oriented toward
sanctifying grace and are intended for the common good of the Church. They
are at the service of charity which builds up the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.