Forgiveness of Venial Sins

Hello Brothers and Sisters..

I have a question regarding venial sins, unfortunately tonight while with an old friend I slipped by using curse words, immediately and thank you to god he made me realize the ugliness of them and the incompatibility with being who he want me to be.. that being said I feel remorse for it and will not continue in this way.. in terms of going to the church and eucharist and having this sins removed from my soul is it necessary to confess in the sacrament of penance or is my remorse enough? I have never know the true answer to this and am slightly scrupulous in terms of being cleansed in this regard.. I do not mind confession but if it is not needed how can I grow in knowing my soul is no longer stained?

thanks

j

Your venial sins are forgiven with saying an Act of Contrition; they are also forgiven through receiving the Eucharist. Confession is, however, always a good choice.

Pax Christi!

You don't HAVE to go to confession for venial sins. I have went to confession and confessed venial sins because I didn't have any mortal sins to confess and it had been over a month since I went to confession.

I don't think slipping up and saying a cuss word is a mortal sin.

It is not scrupulous to bring venial sins to confession, in fact we are encouraged to do so:

CCC 1493 One who desires to obtain reconciliation with God and with the Church, must confess to a priest all the unconfessed grave sins he remembers after having carefully examined his conscience. The confession of venial faults, without being necessary in itself, is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.

CCC 1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:60 (1783, 2468) .....

Celebration of the Eucharist is enough to cleanse your soul of venial sin:

CCC 1416 Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant’s union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.

1394 As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist *strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity **wipes away venial sins.*231 By giving himself to us Christ revives our love and enables us to break our disordered attachments to creatures and root ourselves in him:....

thank you all

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.