Forgiveness: Were the Apostles more powerfull than Jesus?

I’ve heard from some of my Non-Catholic friends that by Christ’s Sacrifice, in Baptism all our sins are forgiven, both past and future. Yet Christ gave the Apostles the power to forgive and to NOT Forgive peoples sins, “Those sins you remit, they are remitted…”. Does Christ give the Apostles the power of forgiveness and unforgiveness that is more powerful than His?

NotWorthy

NotWorthy - does that make sense? can someone give more than they have? for instance, if I give you $100,000,000 and do not have it then you never recieved it. Christ has all power to forgive sins, past, present, and future. What that quote really means is that Christ chose to forgive those sins committed after baptism through the apostalic office, which is continued today by the bishops and priest. It is the origin of the sacrament of reconcilliation.

[quote=But for Grace]NotWorthy - does that make sense? can someone give more than they have? for instance, if I give you $100,000,000 and do not have it then you never recieved it. Christ has all power to forgive sins, past, present, and future. What that quote really means is that Christ chose to forgive those sins committed after baptism through the apostalic office, which is continued today by the bishops and priest. It is the origin of the sacrament of reconcilliation.
[/quote]

Yes, of course! You know that! And I know that! But how does someone who rejects the Christ’s instructions on the Sacrament of Reconciliation with this verse?

NotWorthy

[quote=NotWorthy]I’ve heard from some of my Non-Catholic friends that by Christ’s Sacrifice, in Baptism all our sins are forgiven, both past and future. Yet Christ gave the Apostles the power to forgive and to NOT Forgive peoples sins, “Those sins you remit, they are remitted…”. Does Christ give the Apostles the power of forgiveness and unforgiveness that is more powerful than His?

NotWorthy
[/quote]

Notworthy,

John 14:12 records Jesus telling the apostles that they would do greater works than He had done, but I don’t think this is quite the same sort of thing as what you are talking about. Certainly Christ has the power to forgive sins, but presumably He also has the power to not forgive sins. Perhaps in John 9:41 we see Him doing just that.

• Liberian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.