Forgiveness

Question:

IYO

Does forgives in an absolute sense require “forgetting” as well as forgiving?

Easter Blessings,

PJM

just my opinion:

in one sense when someone says they are sorry and we forgive them, out attitude changes and we do forget the wrong that has happened to us.

in another sense although we forgive we do not forget the harm done to us especially if the harmer harms again.

No, you don’t have to forget, just forgive.

No, even though we may like to forget, we can’t will our brain to erase a memory.

No.

Forgiveness has to do with releasing someone from debt. They owe you nothing - no apology, don’t owe you repayment of any kind, don’t owe you your good name back - nothing.

That’s all. It has to do with debt.

-Tim-

What is “IYO?”

No, forgiving someone does not entail forgetting their offense. Unless we get Alzheimer’s (or have a bad memory like myself ;)), it usually isn’t possible to forget it.

I think it means “in your opinion”.

Thanks

PJM

OK:)And one does this how?

Thanks,

PJM

Thanks Tim

“In YOUR Opinion”

Agreed, Thanks:)

Thank you!

“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

Isaiah 43:25

For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.”

Hebrews 8:12

And there are many more references in the Bible. I try to do the same, it’s what or Lord wants of us. It is difficult to forget what happened, but I know we are to forgive, and I do.

A extremely drunk driver crashed into my hubby one night. He was going the wrong way on a one-way highway. My hubby was injured really bad and was no longer able to teach his two schools. I went to the court hearing and talked to the driver after. His attorney came to his side when he saw me approach. I told the driver we forgave him and to be blessed.

The driver and attorney were totally flabbergasted.

It’s not always easy, but we need to give it a try.

For the sake of discussion:)

Is God’s criteria for sin-Forgiveness in the OT the SAME in the NT:shrug:

Easter Blessings,

Forgiveness is an act of the will, not of the emotions. You choose to forgive. That does not mean you have no hurt associated with whatever it was about; but you move on, and (try to) adjust your attitude. Emotions have a way of making that difficult, in many circumstances.

And so the emotions may spring up unbidden; and you forgive again… remember Peter’s question?

And for another take on the matter - my mother was certainly not St Peter. Her take on it was "bury the hatchet.

But mark the spot."

Incorrect question. God is unchanging.

The Jews did not have the completeness of revelation; they had what God had revealed to them, through the prophets, and within their world views.

Christ came to fulfill the revelation of God to man; and Christ stated the two great commandments (which the Jews had, but seemed not to necessarily focus on). He taught about not just observing the letter of the Law, but the heart of it.

VERY good, thanks

Which is precisely the point I was trying to make:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.