Forgot to Confess Sin

I went to confession today and right after I exited the church I looked at my notes (I forgot I took confession notes while I was confessing) and I noticed I missed one of my sins. I am not aware of how grave this sin is. I was thinking of going back in, but I decided not to because I thought I read that even sins you forgot are absolved. However, reading some older posts seems to show that I was incorrect.

The sin I forgot is this: People have been asking to take pictures of my math test after it was graded for help with their test corrections. I used to think nothing of this until I noticed that the test says that students may receive help, but no answers please. Only then did I realize that I wasn’t supposed to let the students take pictures of my test. However, I let one person take a picture of my test after I noticed out of fear because I was afraid I might make them angry at me if I didn’t let them.

I don’t know if this is even a sin or not, but I intended to confess it. Can I receive the Eucharist tomorrow, or do I have to wait a week to confess again?

Forgetting a sin through no fault of your own is not the same as concealing it, nor does it invalidate the sacrament. Such sins should be mentioned at the next confession. If you’re in doubt about whether it’s a sin, you may say so when you bring it up.

The sins that you forget to say are absolved during confession. Though if it is still bugging you then I would advise to confess it the next time you go to confession. You still should be able to receive the Eucharist.

Thanks for the replies! :smiley:

I’m still a little unsure if I am safe to receive the Eucharist at the moment. I don’t know if I will have it today (no harm in not having it.)

Jimmy Akin (Catholic Answers senior apologist)

jimmyakin.com/2006/09/a_reader_writes_1.html

Thanks for the Jimmy Akin link! It sure cleared up some of my confusion! :smiley:

In case anyone was wondering, I did not receive the Eucharist today. I will (hopefully) receive it next week after I confess the forgotten sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.