Forgot to do Friday Penance / "Unintentional" Penance?

Over the past few weeks, my typical Friday penance is to abstain from meat.

As I was preparing my breakfast today (Saturday), I realized that yesterday I had forgotten that it was a day of penance.

As I surveyed what I did yesterday, I realized that incidentally, I did not eat meat. ( I was going to, for my dinner, which was a sandwich. Originally I was going to use turkey ham but there was leftover fish in the fridge so I used that instead).

Did I sin? I know that personal sin is voluntary. Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve the question for me. ( Suppose I had eaten meat --* that act would have been a voluntary choice*. As such, the only think I can think of that would disqualify the act from being a sin is that my intention was not to sin (i.e. to defy penance).

Not a sin. You forgot. Even if you had eaten meat, it would have been a mistake. If it makes you feel better, though, by all means offer up something today or pray the rosary.

[quote="Ana_v, post:1, topic:293236"]
Over the past few weeks, my typical Friday penance is to abstain from meat.

As I was preparing my breakfast today (Saturday), I realized that yesterday I had forgotten that it was a day of penance.

As I surveyed what I did yesterday, I realized that incidentally, I did not eat meat. ( I was going to, for my dinner, which was a sandwich. Originally I was going to use turkey ham but there was leftover fish in the fridge so I used that instead).

Did I sin? I know that personal sin is voluntary. Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve the question for me. ( Suppose I had eaten meat --* that act would have been a voluntary choice*. As such, the only think I can think of that would disqualify the act from being a sin is that my intention was not to sin (i.e. to defy penance).

[/quote]

No, you didn't sin.

jimmyakin.org/2004/07/since_tomorrow_.html

jimmyakin.com/2004/07/more_on_friday_.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.