Forgot to Fast Before Eucharist?

I totally forgot about the fasting rule this morning, and I had pancakes before going to Mass. I had the last pancake around 8:50. During Mass I had the Eucharist but I don’t know the exact time. It was the 9:30 Mass.

During the RCIA session after Mass I realized I totally forgot that you need to fast an hour before receiving the Eucharist. Did I commit a mortal sin, or did I commit a venial sin because I was forgetful?

If Mass was at 9:30 then it was likely after ten when you received the Eucharist so you should be good.

I totally forgot about the fasting rule this morning, and I had pancakes before going to Mass. I had the last pancake around 8:50. During Mass I had the Eucharist but I don’t know the exact time. It was the 9:30 Mass.

During the RCIA session after Mass I realized I totally forgot that you need to fast an hour before receiving the Eucharist. Did I commit a mortal sin, or did I commit a venial sin because I was forgetful?

You cannot “accidentally” commit a mortal sin. A serious, grave or mortal sin is the knowing and **willful **violation of God’s law in a serious matter.

But, as always, if you are in any doubt just talk to your priest about this situation.

Since the fast is an hour before receiving Communion and you had started your fast 40 minutes before Mass began you should be good. FYI I have seen Catholics eat in the nave right before Mass.

I don’t understand the point of this comment.

Sigh. Well that is the only way at my parish you could violate the Eucharistic Fast unless you actually eat during Mass itself. I imagine for Sunday Masses that would be the case in any parish.

The rule is to fast one hour before receiving communion, not one hour before Mass begins, so your are fine. Pancakes sound good, I have a short stack of banana walnut, please.

Thanks for clarifying. In a small parish, it would not be sufficient time between eating and receiving.

Welcome to the Church, Rejoice and be Glad!

Somehow, I’m doubting that in the Book of Life this act of forgetfulness will be the deal breaker that results in eternal damnation.

PEACE AND ALL GOOD!

I bet you won’t forget again!

Thanks for the replies! :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I should confess this next Saturday or not. What should I do?

It doesn’t hurt to confess but there is no need to.

ICXC NIKA

There could be an issue if the pastor decided not to preach and so moved Communion up ten minutes or more.

In any case, the fact that you forgot would negate any sin by you in this instance.

ICXC NIKA

Thanks! I did not know that! :slight_smile:

I assume that forgetting would fall under the ignorance of sin category because even though you had previously known that it was a sin, you have since forgotten.

The fast is 1 hour. So for the 9:30 mass, it probably was an hour before you received.

I don’t think you need to go. But, if you want to go to confession that’s fine as well. Confession never hurts.

You mean you realized this after Mass?

Such is an honest mistake…not a sin of any kind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.