Forgotten Sin in Confession

Good evening. After going to confession today and receiving absolution, I remembered sins I had committed but did not bring to the confessional. Should I return to the confessional before receiving communion tomorrow? Thank you in advance.

[quote="Wretched_sinner, post:1, topic:349586"]
Good evening. After going to confession today and receiving absolution, I remembered sins I had committed but did not bring to the confessional. Should I return to the confessional before receiving communion tomorrow? Thank you in advance.

[/quote]

Genuinely forgotten sins at Confession are forgiven and absolution is valid. You may receive Communion but next time you go to Confession you have to confess the sins you subsequently remembered.

Thank you for your reply, Thistle. God Bless.

[quote="Wretched_sinner, post:1, topic:349586"]

[/quote]

Confess them the next time you go to confession. If you find it difficult to remember your sins then maybe you could write them down on paper.

If the sin(s) you forgot are of a grave nature (hard to imagine forgetting something grave, but its possible) then you might need to confess these first before receiving communion.

Ishii

[quote="thistle, post:2, topic:349586"]
Genuinely forgotten sins at Confession are forgiven and absolution is valid. You may receive Communion but next time you go to Confession you have to confess the sins you subsequently remembered.

[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote="ishii, post:4, topic:349586"]

If the sin(s) you forgot are of a grave nature (hard to imagine forgetting something grave, but its possible) then you might need to confess these first before receiving communion.

[/quote]

If the person was contrite etc and meant to confess all their mortal sins and just forgot one --they do not have to confess it before Holy Communion (such was absolved indirectly). But they are to confess it in the next confession .

Venial sins of course that were forgotten do not need to be confessed.

My thanks to all of you for replying. God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.