Formal theological discussions about Vatican II will begin later this month

Formal theological discussions about Vatican II will begin later this month, it was announced today. Why is Benedict XVI allowing this new debate on the most vexed questions of the Second Vatican Council?

insidethevatican2.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=letter-33-and-so-it-begins.html&Itemid=169

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0904605.htm

:thumbsup:

Awesome. Can’t wait to see what happens. Very exciting times.

More hope coming from the pope :slight_smile:

This is not a debate/discussion about the Second Vatican Council, it’s about disussions aimed at returning the SSPX (who do not fully accept Vatican II) to full communion with the Catholic Church.

**“In a recent interview with the African magazine Tradition, Bishop Fellay said the goal of the dialogue with the Vatican would be to clarify church teaching in recent years and "help dispel the errors or the severe ambiguities that have since been spread with full hands throughout the Catholic Church.

**I think Bishop Fellay’s stated goal may not be that of the Vatican which is to bring the SSPX back into full communion with the church.

Did you even read the article? :rolleyes:

I read both articles

Good. Maybe we can all learn something about the Second Vatican Council. It seems as if something got lost in the translation and spirit.

[quote=Irish_Polock;5846129 Why is Benedict XVI allowing this new debate on the most vexed questions of the Second Vatican Council?
[/quote]

Perhaps because there were so many of us way back when who were happy with HMC before Vatican II and got marginalized in the last forty years?
[/quote]

Amen, there was a loss of reverence when the church abandoned what was a complete mass and gave us this new mass.

Every Mass is a complete one.

I agree. Restore the faith!

youtube.com/watch?v=0FmRcRsPhE4&feature=player_embedded

It is not a debate. The Vatican is open to the questions that the SSPX may advance, and will answer them. Whether or not those answers will be satisfactory to the individuals representing the SSPX, and/or those of the SSPX not in attendance at the discussions remains to be seen, and only time will tell. There also has been no discussion that I have seen as to what, if any, part of the discussions will be made public, and if so, how. There has been much discussion that the documents are vague and need to be clarified; what will happen as a result of these discussions has not been made public (that is, there has been no statements indicating that Rome is going to publish anything - or for that matter, that Rome will not).

I think it will be more of a debate than you think. I have a feeling that there may be just may be real dialogue that deals with heretofore unresolved issues that have been ignored since the end of the Council.

We can only hope.

And pray the Rosery.

Is this your way of saying that the Vatican will be issuing an ultimatum then?

Admit it, you just want to get rid of them forever. :rolleyes:

I consider there to be a significant difference between debate and dialogue. I would hope there will be a dialogue; however, what it will ultimately come down to is that the Church will have the final word. That may suit some people; it may not suit some others. One should be careful of what one wishes for; one may get it.

Seems as if the battlelines have already been drawn. We all know who here won’t be too happy if the Pope rules in favor of the SSPX, but I’m not quite sure that will be the end of it.

I am ok with that.

:
Originally Posted by** palmas85 **

[quote]
We can only hope.

And pray the Rosary.

[/quote]

Bp Fellay has asked for a Rosary Crusade, with target date March 25, 2010, for the Collegial Consecration of Russia and the Reign of the Immaculate Heart – as promised by Our Lady of Fatima. See the CAF thread
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=5756253#post5756253

The last two Rosary Crusades called by Bp Fellay exceeded expectations, did they not? The first was that the Holy Father would state publicly that the Traditional Mass was never abrogated (“You know he can’t do that!” he was told) and the second, that the decree of excommunication of the SSPX bishops would be lifted.

Recall the Conversation between Sr Lucy of Fatima & Father Fuentes, 26 Dec 1957

The most holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Rosary to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or, above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations, that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary. With the Holy Rosary, we will save ourselves; we will sanctify ourselves; we will console Our Lord, and obtain the salvation of many souls.

In response to otjm, the SSPX bishops, being Catholic, are very happy with clear, authoritative teaching from the Magisterium. They know absolutely that the Holy Spirit will never let the Church make a definitive imposition of heresy. Since Vatican II, the ambiguities of those documents have allowed untold mischief in the Church to rampage almost unchecked. Many, perhaps out of a perceived loyalty, have simply denied that the documents are ambiguous. This has simply deferred the resolution of the crisis. It is very noticeable that the SSPX are not only insisting on bringing the argument into the open at last (debate or dialogue, whichever you prefer) but are invoking the spiritual weapon that Our Lady herself gave us at Fatima (and elsewhere). Thus there is real cause for hope of a resolution, which Bp Fellay has repeatedly insisted can come only from the Pope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.