Former Active Homosexuals, "Transgenders," Rally in DC for Freedom (in Jesus) March

From former gay man Doug Mainwaring . . .

NEWS FREEDOM, GENDER, HOMOSEXUALITY Mon May 27, 2019 - 3:25 pm EST

200 ex-LGBT men, women rally to show freedom they’ve found in following Jesus

Doug MainwaringDoug Mainwaring

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 27, 2019, LifeSiteNews – Ex-homosexual and ex-transgender men and women from around the country descended upon the Nation’s Capital this weekend for the Second Annual ‘Freedom March’ where they proclaimed the freedom they’ve found in abandoning homosexual and transgender practices.

“Look at this! This is Amazing! They say we don’t exist!” declared author and documentary producer M.J. Nixon, a March co-founder, as many gathered for a group picture. About 200 participated this year—a threefold increase over last year. . . .

. . . . One testimony after another from the racially diverse group of mostly millennials spoke about their personal conversion to Jesus and the freedom they have found from lives dominated by active homosexuality or gender dysphoria.

Our identity is not in our sexuality; it is in Jesus Christ

Angel Colon, who survived the Pulse Nightclub massacre Orlando, Florida where 49 died, told his harrowing conversion story which began that night . . .

6 Likes

I would exercize caution with these kinds of stories and here’s why—

At the end of the day, we still don’t know what causes LGBT phenomena. In other words, there is no single, smoking-gun-one-size-fits-all reason.
Also, there is a certain amount of fluidity in feelings and behaviors.

Which is why I personally prefer to focus on behaviors, rather than slapping labels on people.

6 Likes

I would also be a little cautious about these articles.

From the article:

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 27, 2019, LifeSiteNews – Ex-homosexual and ex-transgender men and women from around the country descended upon the Nation’s Capital this weekend for the Second Annual ‘Freedom March’ where they proclaimed the freedom they’ve found in abandoning homosexual and transgender practices.

[edit]

One testimony after another from the racially diverse group of mostly millennials spoke about their personal conversion to Jesus and the freedom they have found from lives dominated by active homosexuality or gender dysphoria.

So did they just give up “active homosexuality” or did they go from same-sex attraction to opposite-sex attraction (which is how I would interpret “ex-gay”)?

It’s not clear that they actually gave up same-sex attraction.

1 Like

see https://christiannews.net/2019/05/24/former-homosexuals-transgenders-to-march-in-washington-in-celebration-of-freedom-in-christ/

“The second annual Freedom March will be held on Saturday in the nation’s capital, featuring messages from those who formerly lived as homosexuals or transgender but broke free from the power of sin through Jesus Christ.”

“The majority of us have never experienced conversion therapy. Our experiences were encounters with the Holy Spirit that changed our lives,” one of the participants said.

6 Likes

Praying for all of them and all who deal with these issues.

5 Likes

The sexual devolution and all the “freedom” it brought has only made the sexually immoral slaves to their own lust… I should know. I’m glad to see these individuals have found happiness in the Lord after putting their past lifestyles behind them. That takes a great deal of courage and strength, especially in today’s society.

2 Likes

I know same-sex couples who have been together for decades. I don’t think that their relationships are all about “lust”.

According to the news, about 200 people showed up for this so-called “Freedom March,” up from 60 last year. The LGBT pride parade in San Francisco in 2015 drew about 1.8 million people. And I have nothing against the people at this “Freedom March.” I hope that they all find happiness and think that they should live according to their religious convictions if that is what they want to do.

3 Likes

signit . . . .

So did they just give up “active homosexuality” or did they go from same-sex attraction to opposite-sex attraction (which is how I would interpret “ex-gay”)?

It’s not clear that they actually gave up same-sex attraction.

Whatever “they actually gave up” signit, it is in the context of
at least some of them being told
they do not exist.

What do you think she (M. J. Nixon) is talking about?

Because NOBODY denies people give up sodomy or “active homosexuality”.

So what do YOU think Nixon is referring to here?

“Look at this! This is Amazing! They say we don’t exist!” declared author and documentary producer M.J. Nixon, a March co-founder, as many gathered for a group picture.

Edited.

It appears to be the feeling or attraction to their own sex. The point being that some activists maintain that people either don’t change their orientation, or change only goes in one direction, from straight to gay.

Since I was addressed, I’ll attempt to answer.

It’s possible, you’re right, that Ms. Nixon (a woman) may be saying that she gave up same-sex attraction.

It may be that she at least thinks she did.

But I still don’t think, as a practical matter, that individuals with SSA routinely can change to opposite-sex attraction. If it were that easy, they’d do it. However, there have been posts on this board for years from Catholics who have SSA and don’t want it and who really want to obey Church teaching.

There have been “ex-gays” who have claimed to have been “cured” of SSA who have later admitted they still have it.

And, as one of the speakers said,:

“It wasn’t a ‘gay to straight’ thing,” said Ruiz, “It was a ‘lost to saved’ thing.”

“We were all born into sin, baby,” continued Ruiz. “Even though I might be tempted every day, I choose Jesus.”

That suggests he might still have SSA.

1 Like

The most recent study of people who have tried to change their sexual orientation was one published in 2002 by Ariel Shidlo and Michael Schroeder in Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 33: 249-259, “Changing Sexual Orientation: A Consumer’s Report.” This was a peer reviewed study of 202 individuals and the results of the study were as follows, according to Wikipedia:

88% of participants failed to achieve a sustained change in their sexual behavior and 3% reported changing their orientation to heterosexual. The remainder reported either losing all sexual drive or attempting to remain celibate, with no change in attraction. Some of the participants who failed felt a sense of shame and had gone through conversion therapy programs for many years. Others who failed believed that therapy was worthwhile and valuable. Many respondents felt harmed by the attempt to change, and reported depression, suicidal ideation and attempts, hypervigilance of gender-deviant mannerisms, social isolation, fear of being a child abuser and poor self-esteem. Of the 8 respondents (out of a sample of 202) who reported a change in sexual orientation, 7 worked as ex-gay counselors or group leaders.

Even assuming that those 8 individuals who supposedly changed their orientation really did so, a 3% success rate is not very good and probably doesn’t outweigh the far higher numbers who suffered some kind of harm as a result of their efforts to change.

I suspect that most of those at this “Freedom March” haven’t actually changed their orientation from gay to straight and still deal with same-sex attraction but are now living in such a way that their sexuality is no longer in conflict with their religious convictions, perhaps by remaining celibate or if they are bisexual to some extent, just refraining from sex with others of their own sex and trying to suppress that attraction while trying to pursue an opposite sex relationship.

Once you put Jesus Christ first and one’s sexual preference somewhere else, you are given the grace to set yourself free

4 Likes

Like an alcoholic giving up the sauce. One day at a time. The further you distant yourself from the desired/unwanted encounter the stronger you grow a resistance to it. Pray, pray, pray (and confess) and God will lead you home.

Thanks for the correction.

I edited my post to reflect that.

It wouldn’t work unless, perhaps, someone intends on being a hermit and never have contact with someone of the same sex. And many gay people go years after they first become aware of their attraction before they finally have their first same-sex experience or come out. So, it’s not like they’ve had any “sauce” all that time that is keeping them “addicted” to gay sex. Having the attraction is not like being an alcoholic.

The verb “prefer” means to “like (one thing or person) better than another or others” which makes it silly to speak of “sexual preference” when talking about sexual orientation. It’s not like someone preferring blondes over brunettes or chocolate ice cream over vanilla ice cream, both choices being acceptable. For most gay men it’s a choice between one thing that is desired and another thing that is disliked or even detested. And most straight men wouldn’t consider their attraction to women to be a “sexual preference” where sex with other men would be an acceptable alternative in most cases.

You are right. These people are about to take a big jump into something that is wrong in Gd’s eyes and they will be distancing themselves from Gd. That’s something one really needs to think about. Their mind feeds the desire. The person will continue to obsessively dwell on the desire and debate the sinfulness of the act in their mind. They will say to themselves, “there is Gd’s law but what is the truth about Gd’s law when it seems Church leaders can’t even agree on what’s true and what’s not true. Then there is society’s view on gay sex which it positively promotes.” The battle rages on in the person’s head. But then the age old cliché comes into play “don’t buck it until you’ve tried it”. For some people in society, they can see something is wrong and just walk away from it but for others (even though they’ve been warned time and time again) they have to experience the wrongful act first hand to decide whether its right or wrong. For some of those people that have to experience the wrongful act, they will try it and realize its not what they thought and move on. For others, they will be addicted to the wrongful act. This is when faithfulness in Gd is tested - the wrongful act or following Gd’s law. It’s a matter of obedience to Gd’s law.

Exactly, and moreover, if I want an ice cream and vanilla is unavailable I’ll settle for chocolate. I also happen to prefer brunettes but married a dark blonde, because, well, the qualities overwhelmingly outweighed the hair colour.

But asking a gay man to marry a woman isn’t going to work, nor will a gay woman to marrying a man work. Many have tried because of social pressures or inability to accept themselves, and left a train wreck behind them. Far better to be honest with one’s orientation. You can’t fool Mother Nature… or God. I’m sure He’d rather one accept one’s orientation, and try to be the best one can be with what one has,.

1 Like

All I was saying in that first quote of mine is if you put Gd first (and what I mean by Gd first is how the Church teaches us about Gd) and not one’s sexual desires, you are given the grace to set yourself free. I’m sorry but I find it amazing how some quotes on this forum can be taken so differently than how they were intended to be taken. I see this all the time on this forum.

I totally disagree with you on that point. You are giving into a lie; you want to believe that Gd wants you to be this way. How about this way instead, I know that its wrong to act on sinful sexual desires and with Gd’s grace and love, I will overcome these desires.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.