Former Belfast leader of Continuity IRA Tommy Crossan shot dead

theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/18/belfast-tommy-crossan-former-continuity-ira-shot-dead

Man who served six years in top security prison for gun attack on police station killed near Springfield Road

The former Belfast commander of the hardline anti-peace process paramilitary group, the Continuity IRA, has been shot dead in the city.

Tommy Crossan, 44, was killed near the Peter Pan light industrial complex on Springfield Road in Belfast at around 4.45pm on Friday.

The murdered man, who comes from the west of the city, served six years in Maghaberry top security prison a decade ago for a CIRA gun attack on a police station in Belfast.

Read more at link. Sounds like “assassination” would be a proper word.

BBC story: bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27081120

Detectives are examining the possibility that dissidents were involved in the murder.

Alex Attwood, West Belfast MLA for the nationalist Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP), said three gunmen carried out the killing.

You live by the sword, you die by the sword. Let us pray for his immortal soul and that of his killer.
The troubles were am time of injustice on both sides of the war. Bloody Sunday was a day even now the British are having trouble living down, and how anyone can call themselves a Catholic who can bomb innocent children, or even shoot British Army officers is beyond me.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
may perpetual light shine upon him
and may he rest in peace Amen

Eternal God , in whom mercy is endless,
and the treasury of compassion inexhastible ,
look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us ,
that in difficult moments we might not despair
nor become despondent , but with great confidence ,
submit ourselves to Your Holy Will ,
which is love and mercy itself . Amen

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy

bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27086581

One arrest so far.

Amen. That’s what my grandmother used to say. :wink: Both sides have to let it go. No doubt at the time the Catholics had a just cause. But the British have acknowledged that part of it time and again. History is messy. The IRA committed unspeakable atrocities against humanity (in the course of defending the Irish people). Let’s not overreact and just be thankful that peace is here. Overall, good has won, evil has lost. How many times can you say that in this world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.