Former Catholic much happier as an Anglican

I was Roman Catholic my whole life. At age 34 I stepped foot for the very first time into an Episcopal church. I was intigued for weeks reading about it and how very much similar it was to the Catholic church. After a few weeks in the Episcopal church, I was there to stay. My wife at age 23 was baptized Episcopalian after unsuccessfully being able to be baptized Roman Catholic even after 3 months of classes. When she was confirmed by our bishop, I was received into the Episcopal church. There was no need for me to be confirmed because I had been confirmed Roman Catholic and Episcopalians recognize all Catholic sacraments. My family and I attend Holy Eucharist every Sunday and have never been more spiritual. Our priest is amazing and so is our parish family. It prompts me to think quite often as to what really went wrong in my Catholic life?? What has gone wrong for so many that like me left the Catholic church? I must also state too that transitioning from Catholicism to Anglicanism is like comparing white to ivory or pearl. It is very similar. I know we do have some serious differences in belief on a few things, but practice is almost identical during worship services.

Not in the same fashion as the Catholics do…at least as to those Episcopalians who are not Anglo-Catholics. See, e.g., Article 25 of the 39 Articles:

"XXV. Of the Sacraments.
Sacraments ordained of Christ be not only badges or tokens of Christian men’s profession, but rather they be certain sure witnesses, and effectual signs of grace, and God’s good will towards us, by the which he doth work invisibly in us, and doth not only quicken, but also strengthen and confirm our Faith in him.

There are two Sacraments ordained of Christ our Lord in the Gospel, that is to say, Baptism, and the Supper of the Lord.

Those five commonly called Sacraments, that is to say, Confirmation, Penance, Orders, Matrimony, and Extreme Unction, are not to be counted for Sacraments of the Gospel, being such as have grown partly of the corrupt following of the Apostles, partly are states of life allowed in the Scriptures, but yet have not like nature of Sacraments with Baptism, and the Lord’s Supper, for that they have not any visible sign or ceremony ordained of God.

The Sacraments were not ordained of Christ to be gazed upon, or to be carried about, but that we should duly use them. And in such only as worthily receive the same, they have a wholesome effect or operation: but they that receive them unworthily, purchase to themselves damnation, as Saint Paul saith."

anglicansonline.org/basics/thirty-nine_articles.html

I appreciate your input on that. Thank you. I can tell you that in our church. We celebrate the eucharist in a very serious manner and many of us do say the rosary. We speak of Mary and honor her as the foremost saint that she truly is and we do pray with the whole communion of saints. Those things I just mentioned would ruffle the feathers of the vast majority of Protestants. It just goes to prove that we both still are very close in belief and practice.

Not to differ overly from my friend rr1213, but a more accurate way to phrase the issue would be that for any Anglican who accepts the 39 Articles as normative, there could possibly be a problem. Then it would depend on just how they are to be intepreted. One can make a remarkably RC reading of many of them, see Newman’s Tract 90. But no Anglican is required to affirm (or even read) the Articles, save, in a technical sense, ordinands of the Church of England, due to its Erastian nature, and the provisions of a Parlimentary Act from Queen Bess’ day.

Its not only the ACs who affirm seven sacraments, but it’s mainly us.

Still, I wouldn’t advise leaving Rome for the Anglican communion as we know it today.

GKC

Respectfully, I find this response to rr1213 rather odd.

RR1213 was talking of the Sacraments, pointing out to you that contrary to your claim, it appears as if Episcopaleans do NOT in fact recognize the Sacraments in the same manner as the Catholic Church, (although they CAN be read in a very “Roman” way apparently?).

God bless,
Maria

I guess my question would be, “and why aren’t Episcopalians Catholic?”

Sounds like you found a place you like. I won’t recite the hoary old nut that Episcopalians have the Queen Mother as Pope!

This proves my point really. I came in here and offended nobody with my conversation and comparisons but because I am not Catholic I am still made the butt end of someone’s joke about the queen or something else. I would really appreciate some equal dialogue and straight across the board fair conversation and maturity above all. Thank you very kindly

:confused: proves what point?

nevermind…

And the reason for this was?

Well, for starters it is the truth. I only stated a reason why were feeling uncomfortable with the Catholic church, thats all.

To the folks who posted here, I just cannot see how my above comment could be construed as a slam against the OP. But so it was, sorry for the misperception.

Please don’t get bent out of shape about a joke. Laugh with us.

I’'m just glad you did not become pentecostal, I would have had to reach thru the internet and slap you and call you susie.

Okay.

Again, odd. You post a story. Get a response, yet don’t even really address what the person said.

Then you post again and say it proves your point, but I am not sure how the percieved rudeness of a person proves anything in your original post.

God Bless,
Maria

My wife at age 23 was baptized Episcopalian after unsuccessfully being able to be baptized Roman Catholic even after 3 months of classes.

Yes, please expound on this.

While the liturgy may be beautiful, I for one could not bear to be separated from the Apostolic Succession begun by Christ.

I have dearly loved friends and family who are devout non-Catholic Christians - I just pray that someday we will all be one.

Keep praying and learning.

Lots of answers. For Anglo-Catholics, it’s primarily the role of the papacy. For evangelical Anglicans, it’s pretty much the same reasons stated by most other evangelicals. For liberal or apostate Anglicans, it’s the fact that the Catholic Church is “too conservative” or “too male-centric” or “too judgmental”. Take your pick. Just my two cents.

Respectfully, reread your OP. Nowhere do you state why you were feeling uncomfortable with the Catholic Church, but how much you love the church you are in now and wonder why this did not happen in the Catholic Church.

I wonder if that’s the purpose of religion, faith, etc., to make us “comfortable?” Doesn’t sound terribly much in snyc with “take up thy cross and follow Me?”

That was actually funny. I suppose it shouldn’t have been, but it was…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.