Former Catholics-How many years were you Catholic before you left.

Hi, I’m Suzie B. I entered the church Easter of 2000 and left in June of 2004.

4 years for me.

My DH was a cradle Catholic so 33 years for him.

I am sorry but I have to say you have thrown out the window the greatest gift you have ever received.

Why did you enter it to begin with?

I was a Catholic for 38 years. My husband joined the Catholic Church when we married; and we left the Catholic Church together 15 years later.

Roughly eleven years from the time my family converted to the time whatever faith I may have had (beyond simply following along) up and vanished.

water, Verisimilitude – let’s not start an argument here. In my case at least, the realization that I could not believe ended years of pain and frustration. Loss of faith, if that’s what happened to me, is not a pleasant process and not something to be belittled.

I don’t think so. The greatest gift I’ve received was grace from God to know him and love him, and to have Faith in him.

Amen! I was just about to say the same thing!

Yes, but did you faith in Him, when he told us, “My flesh is food indeed, and my blood is real drink indeed?”

You can’t find any Real Presence in any Protestant Churches. The only place you’ll find it is in the Orthodox and Catholic Churches. That is why we say, you are missing out the greatest gift of all.

The Manna that came down from heaven. Who is Jesus. He is there.

Other than that, I am going to pray for your conversion to come back home. Jesus misses you in the Blessed Sacrament. :slight_smile:

I can assure you that I found more of Jesus’ presence in my non-Catholic church than I ever did in the Catholic Church. The Catholic church does not have a monopoly on Christ or salvation.

John 6:35: Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger; and he who believes in Me wil never thirst.”

Note, I did say, you can only find the Real Presence in the Catholic and Orthodox Church. I did not say monopolized, if I did, I would say only the Catholic Church.

Let me ask you one question. How often does your Church have the Breading of the Bread?

Most Protestants believe in Symbolic meaning of the Eucharist not Real Presence.

So like I said there is no Real Substantial Presence of Jesus Christ. Real Presence.

How often does my church have the “Breading of the Bread” (your words)? Wow! I don’t really know. We break bread once a month at my church, which works just fine.

When I was Catholic, I usually received communion once a month. My mother taught me that we shouldn’t receive communion unless we had gone to confession first; and we went to confession once a month. In my church, we examine our conscience and spend time in prayer to the Lord before we share the Lord’s Supper each month.

I meant to say Breaking of the Break. :blush:

As a Catholic we are required to received Holy Communion weekly every Sunday.

A Catholic who received Holy Communion once a month is not part of the Catholic way of life. One must received the Lord weekly.

Most priest recommend monthly confessions. The Church Law requires Confession once a year. I go to Confession every 2 weeks.

During the Pentitial Rite, we ask for God’s forgiveness. “I confess to Almighty God and to you My brothers… and sisters…”

That is why we examine… We can received Holy Communion if we have venial sin. However, we cannot received the Body and Blood of the Lord if we commit a mortal sin in our conscious.

Therefore, a Catholic must confessed.

So every week, I received the Jesus. Just recently I’ve been going to Daily Mass and Jesus Christ’s presence is in Me when I consumed him into My mouth.

John 6:51-55.

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. 52 If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. 53 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 55 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

Even though you are not Catholic, you should at least have received Communion weekly not monthly.

The Apostles did the Breaking of the Bread during the first day of the Week.

Going to do it on a Monthly basis goes against Scripture. It’s odd that a Protestant Church does it every month but not weekly. Why not do it holy communion weekly?

16-17 years, but I am only 18.

Mannyfit, I did not know that we could only receive the Eucharist once a month. Many of the faithful who attend daily Mass receive each day. One does not have to go to Confession before every reception of Communion, only if one has committed a mortal sin.
But I could be wrong about this.

Call me Manny. We are required to go to Mass and received Holy Communion Weekly.

Monthly Confession is recommended by most priest while some lay Catholics go to confession every two weeks.

Manny, Catholics are only required to receive Communion once a YEAR apart from priests, who usually celebrate Mass daily and must both receive and offer communion to whoever wants it at each Mass they celebrate. Although any person who has no mortal sin on their soul can receive daily too, assuming they attend Mass daily.

There are Five Precepts of the Catholic Church that is required of all the faithful to following:

1. “You shall **attend Mass on Sundays **and on holy days of obligation and rest from servile labour.”

2. “You shall confess your sins at least once a year.”

3. “You shall **receive the sacrament of the Eucharist **at least during the Easter season.”

4. “You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.”

5. “You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church.”

All I said that most priest recommend monthly confession because it benefits the soul, and many priest also recommend receiving holy communion daily if possible.

The precepts are the minimum standard. To received Holy Communion one must be free of Mortal Sin. So if you commit mortal sin, you must confess your sins to a priest.

Yes, but you made it sound like weekly Communion is required, which it isn’t. Communion is only required once a year, as I said.

I’m 18, and Im gonna leave the church as soon as I move out, which should be in around 3 month.

Manny, I admire you for hanging in there and trying to snatch this person back, as is discussed in James 5: 19-20. That is why I am speaking up, too. I realize that it is derailing a thread and going OT, but IMO, trying to do what James says is more important than following internet etiquette.

I find this to be the saddest thread on this board.

I was evangelical Protestant for over 40 years. I was incredibly involved in some of the best evangelical Protestant churches in the U.S. (Many authors of prominence were members of my churches, also great evangelicals like the President of Campus Crusade for Christ.)

I came into the Catholic Church in 2004. I wish I had come into the Catholic Church 40 years earlier. Nothing that any Protestant church offered me, including “asking Jesus into my heart to be my personal Savior” was as good as what I am freely given in the Catholic Church.

Today, I pity Protestants. My daughter (who is converting to Catholicism) describes Protestant worship services as " a pageant of the real event, mass."

I only hope that when you become disillusioned with Protestantism–and you will–it is not as painful as mine was. Protestantism is a show. There are elements of truth in it, but why would you want to live on crumbs when you could eat the whole loaf?

May God have mercy on you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.