former Church of Christ members here?

Just curious but how many of you folks used to be Church of Christ, Disciple of Christ, or Christian Church?

I am referring to the “Restoration Movement” churches associated with Barton Stone, Alexander Campbell, and others.

Raised Church of Christ in OKlahoma (not the Congregational Northern kind).
Crackers and welches grape juice passed on silver platters with little glass shot glasses every Sunday. Not an altar in sight. Got a table for the Lord’s supper though.
No organ. No musical instruments at all. Enthusiastic congregational singing led by a man in front.
No women preaching. Ever. Pastor preaches from a pulpit that looks out over the congregation. He wears suits not vestments.
Immersion baptism in a glass sided “font” with a painting of Jesus in the Jordan river as a back drop.
No dancing. Ever.
Church on Sunday, then Sunday School. Church on Wednesday night. And revivals in the fall. Until I was 9…
Methodist Church for a few years. I learned to sight read music in the children’s choir.
Disciples of Christ Church when I was a teen.
Organ, choir (I was an alto), youth dances, pastor in a geneva gown has turquoise eyes, really fun Bible school in summer, communion every week…crackers and welches again in shotglasses.

I have been curious about Church of Christ.
You have been to both CoC and Methodist Churches, how would you compare them?
Would a Congregational Methodist feel out of place in a CoC service?
WP

No musical instruments. But out of place is difficult to say.
CoC folks are much more fundamentalist than Methodists generally.
The reason my mom and I left the CoC I have explained elsewhere. But the main point was their view that they are the only ones who are saved. And all others are not unless they accept the teachings of the CoC. It made my mom uncomfortable since she simply didn’t believe that.
You would certainly know you were in a Christian service. No snake handling, no dancing in the spirit. The preacher might well get loud if so inspired.

There is no such thing as the “teachings of the Church of Christ”. The only teaching comes straight from the Bible. The only doctrine is that of Jesus Christ. Denominations that have earthly heads (like the Roman Catholic Church) are adamant about instructing their flocks on the “teachings” of their respective denominations. For example, “the Teachings of the catholic Church” often conflicts with the God-Breathed Word in the Holy Bible. In the Church of Christ there isn’t any earthly head, Christ is the head of the church and Christians make up the body. I spent almost my entire life in the RCC and listened more to the RCC’s teachings than actual Bible doctrine. I left the RCC and became a Christian in the Church of Christ.

It would be a big help if anyone who fits the description in the title of this post could share your experience of baptism in the Church of Christ (geographic location would also be a big help).

I was involved with the International Church(es) of Christ, a splinter group from the Traditional CoC (AKA: The Boston Movement), for about 25 minutes maybe 8 or 9 years back. Very comical stuff for me, for others it was very traumatic (over shepherding is a term I’ve heard used. Other terms too but moderators wont let me post those)

I outlasted you by about an hour. In the late 70s a young couple who were our friends, were CoC members who invited us to their church, and we went one Sunday. Our friend made a big deal out of the a capella music all day long, which didn’t really impress me very much since I was at the time a professional woodwind player. I wasn’t yet a Christian, but I knew that most Christians had no problems at all with musical instruments, and so I probably wasn’t cut out for CoC. The church was very small, the congregation fewer than maybe 50 people. In the San Francisco area. So that was my only exposure to CoC and I do not recall being informed as to which inflection of CoC it was.

It sounds as if you were in a traditional Church of Christ congregation. There is a United C of C that plays musical instruments. I belong to the traditional C of C and we sing acapella.

That’s sad.

Is dancing prohibited in the Bible?

Yeah, remember when King David’s wife jumped all over him for making a fool out of himself?

drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=10&ch=6&l=16&f=s#x

Oh, also, her reward for being against dancing was being barren her whole life.

drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=10&ch=6&l=23&f=s#x

So, it’s pretty obvious that dancing is a sin.

That pretty much proves the so-called “Church of Christ” is God’s representative on Earth, and the Roman Catholic Church is just the Whore of Babylon…

Also, Jesus was a drunkard and a glutton, according the the Pharisees…

drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=49&ch=7&l=34&f=s#x

I’m in southern Ohio. I grew up attending a small town “anti” congregation: no instrumental music, no dancing, no drinking, no gambling, no organizational support of outside endeavors, services three times a week, crackers and Welch’s.

I was baptized at 12 (mainly because all my other cousins the same age were doing it–great reason, I know) on a Wednesday night during the Fall Gospel Meeting. The visiting preacher had done a great job with the fire and brimstone guilt sermon that night so I went forward. My aunt helped me dress in the “ceremonial” garments (white robes), one of my uncles put on the hip waders and we went into the baptistry (hidden behind the requisite white board and with the required stream mural in the background.)

I had to confess I believed Christ was my savior and that he died for my sins, etc. The preacher then put a folded up hankie over my nose and bent me backwards and made sure I went completely under the water. From the experience of watching others I know he said “I baptized you in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, amen.”

That being said, I’m not sure I entirely grasped the meaning of what was happening. I think I did it more because I knew it was expected of me.

As of now, I will be recieved into full communion at Easter Vigil and things suddenly make much more sense :slight_smile:

Tonight, I go for my first confession. The poor priest, I have almost 20 years to cover :wink:

That’s fantastic!

I know what you mean about feeling bad for the priest. When I went to my first confession after returning to the Church, I could keep hearing the priest prepare himself to counsel me (you know, sucking in a breath to begin speaking), but I was nowhere near the end of my list!!

It was a great experience though, and I hope you make it a regular thing.

None of the teachings of the Catholic Church conflict with the Bible. You just don’t understand it that is why you left.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.