Former Indepent Baptist Searching....

Hi, I grew up Independent Baptist and was Baptized as such. Currently I am searching as I do no believe the same way that I did. A friend who I grew up with in the Baptist Church is currently converting to Catholicism, so they have pointed me in this direction. If anyone has any advice as to where I should start on my search and so forth it would be greatly appreciated.

Most Sincerely

Welcome to the original Church founded by Jesus Christ!

Have you attended Mass before? You should go with your friend to see what it’s about.

Here’s a nice video I recently found:

catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.phtml

After that, read this:

catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

Then come back and ask any questions you have!

Well, what would you be most interested in? That’s my suggestion.

For example, just a general overview of Catholicism, then Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth is a good “get your feet wet” article.

If you’re interested in our beliefs on Divine Revelation, then these tracts on Scripture and Tradition could interest you.

If you’re concerned about our beliefs regarding Mary and the Saints, these tracts could help.

Or if you’re interested in Christ’s Sacraments, the means by which we are saved, then there are some great tracts here.

In short, most topics you might be interested in are explained very well in the Faith Tracts section of this website.

Welcome to Catholic Answers!

Hi Kristin,

If you are up for it, most parish RCIA programs are kicking off soon. I’m not sure about all parishes, but in ours you can attend Inquiry classes, which is like a primer and time to ask any questions you may have.

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops have an online Catechism that you can look through for the official teachings on various doctrines. Welcome, to CA forums, and don’t be a stranger. Just be warned, there are all kinds around here.:thumbsup:

All my best . . .

First question are you saved? If not you will not find salvation in a religion salvation is only found in the person of Jesus Christ and Him alone.

Rember what Jesus said in Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them,** I never knew you**: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 3:3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jhn 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Jhn 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

How do you hear the voice of God ? He speaks to His sheep in that still small voice of your heart after the Holy Spirit comes to live in you through His word.

Jhn 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the** word **that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Jhn 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

Jhn 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Psa 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Psa 119:105 NUN. **Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. **

Jos 1:8 **This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. **

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 **That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. **

Hi, welcome! I admit I have no idea what an Independent Baptist is!

If you go the Catholics Come Home website as another on here suggested, click on the video titled “epic” - it such an awe-inspiring website and it sums up what we are all about.

Some books I recommend - Scott Hahn - Rome Sweet Rome. Patrick Madrid - Surprised By Truth.
Also, EWTN has some great stuff. You can stream the radio programs live on their website or watch video live. I recommended The Journey Home hosted by Marcus Grodi, he is a very passionate convert.

Most importantly, keep praying because God has something in mind for you.

I wanted to thank all of you very much for responding…it is greatly appreciated. I will look up all of these things that each of you has suggested and will let you know if I have any questions. We do have a Catholic Church in the area, however attending classes would be hard at the present time because my husband and I just had our first baby. However with me being home I have a lot of time to search the internet, so I will do so. Thank you again for all of your help.

Most Sincerely

That’s wonderful, congrats! Enjoy all of the reading, ask us questions, and even if you can’t make it to classes right now, feel free to talk to the priest at the local church, as he can advise you.

Welcome to the forum!

We do have a Catholic Church in the area, however attending classes would be hard at the present time because my husband and I just had our first baby

Congratulations! Now is also a great time to figure out your religious beliefs; a firm spiritual foundation for your child to grow up in is a great gift. (And Catholics love babies! I have yet to see an RCIA class that didn’t have mothers with babies sleeping in car-seats)…not that I’m pushing…or biased… :wink:

I advise you start your search here: gnpcb.org/esv/

Faith in Jesus Christ is the answer to everything, not an institution.

We do have faith in Jesus Christ in fact we believe his every word. God bless.

I’m Lutheran, also looking at the Catholic faith. (but I’ve had quite some experience with Evangelical Churches of which Baptists fall in close to) One source that someone recommended to me and easy to read is the Catholic for Dummies book. I got mine at Barnes and Noble. Beyond that there are areas to read about on this website under faith. Beyond that, one thing most of us Protestants are ignorant of are the early church fathers, so reading any of these (I’m reading Augustine, Major Writings by Benedict J. Groeschel which is good but a little harder to read, but great…I enjoy C.S. Lewis!) Go to the EWTN website and they have books to order. Also, if you get that channel (EWTN) watch it. (some shows are better than others so if you hit a not so interesting show, don’t give up, others will come along that are better)
Anyhow, I hope that helps.
Blessings to you,
mlz

Yes, Faith in Jesus Christ, in His Body, the Church that He founded, the Catholic Church, the body of believers in the fullness of the Gospel.

Thanks, good bye.

Don’t forget, there are Eastern Catholics (as well as Orthodox and other Eastern Churches) as well.

Read some books by James G McCarthy. you can buy them from Amazion. I am sure that the Lord will use them to lead you in the right direction, to a good Baptist Church

I can see how attending classes might be a bit of a challenge :slight_smile:
big congrats on the baby though.
I was a teenaged fundamentalist. One book that helped me greatly was Karl Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism Very good if a bit “dated”.

Before you decide to join the RCC go and see if it holds up under scrutiny at the CARM discussion forums.

I’m sure she knows all the arguments against Catholicism.

Kristin, do not listen to this person. The CARM discussion forums are anti-Catholic. I post there, and they consistently say that Catholics pray to demons, worship Mary, call us “papists”, call all of our priests “homosexuals”, that our holy days are “sinful”, call Catholics “idiots”, “stupid”, and other childish names, and other lies. It’s mostly disgruntled ex-Catholics that never really understood the Faith, as becomes clear if one reads their forum.

CARM is not the “authority” to judge Catholicism. It is forum based in hate and lies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.