former Pentcostals?

I was wondering if there were any former Pentecostals that have converted to Catholicism on the forum? I went to a church Service this Sunday with my mother-in-law (we were visiting for the weekend) at her Pentecostal church. I watched the people and just felt such profound sadness at far they have strayed from the church founded by Jesus Christ. These people obviously have a great love for Jesus Christ but I just found the service so empty.

I wondered if there were any former Pentcostals here, and how were they able to overcome the immense differences. This church had no cross, no picture of Jesus in it. There was loud Christian music that basically seemed to have such little depth. The pastor was ranting and raving, pounding and shouting, jumping up and down. He criticized those churches “that just went though the same rituals over and over everyweek.” He made a remark along the lines that Catholics couldn’t praise the Lord in church because we had to sit quietly. That the “spirit wasn’t alive in those churches.”

I looked at these people waving there arms saying “thank you Jesus, we praise you Jesus” and just thought how could they understand that Catholics worship the Lord in his presence so deeply and profoundly. How could someone raised in the Pentcostal faith ever be comfortable in the silent reverence of the Catholic church. WIth statues and candles and a crucifix. With holy water and incense. All this would have to be so foreign.

So if there are converts out there I would love to here your story.
Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=rayne89]I was wondering if there were any former Pentecostals that have converted to Catholicism on the forum? I went to a church Service this Sunday with my mother-in-law (we were visiting for the weekend) at her Pentecostal church. I watched the people and just felt such profound sadness at far they have strayed from the church founded by Jesus Christ. These people obviously have a great love for Jesus Christ but I just found the service so empty.

I wondered if there were any former Pentcostals here, and how were they able to overcome the immense differences. This church had no cross, no picture of Jesus in it. There was loud Christian music that basically seemed to have such little depth. The pastor was ranting and raving, pounding and shouting, jumping up and down. He criticized those churches “that just went though the same rituals over and over everyweek.” He made a remark along the lines that Catholics couldn’t praise the Lord in church because we had to sit quietly. That the “spirit wasn’t alive in those churches.”

I looked at these people waving there arms saying “thank you Jesus, we praise you Jesus” and just thought how could they understand that Catholics worship the Lord in his presence so deeply and profoundly. How could someone raised in the Pentcostal faith ever be comfortable in the silent reverence of the Catholic church. WIth statues and candles and a crucifix. With holy water and incense. All this would have to be so foreign.

Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

yes it is foreign.
The Spirit of God which many pentecostals know and some charismatic Catholics is so profound, so life changing, so New Testament church. When my Catholic relatives say- what about the real presence in the Eucharist? I try to explain the real presence that abides in me and on me every minute of every day, It is something that is as real to me as my right arm.
Its as if Im speaking a foreign language to them. To be able to walk with God and to hear from God on a daily basis is something they are not ready to accept.

[quote=rayne89]I was wondering if there were any former Pentecostals that have converted to Catholicism on the forum? I went to a church Service this Sunday with my mother-in-law (we were visiting for the weekend) at her Pentecostal church. I watched the people and just felt such profound sadness at far they have strayed from the church founded by Jesus Christ. These people obviously have a great love for Jesus Christ but I just found the service so empty.

Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

Hi rayne, And thats the problem with us christians because we dont understand whats happening in each others churches and assume this and assume that. We lack wisdom and understanding and think we have it all right. Thats why I say Christianity is a relationship between me and Jesus Christ and not this church or that church… To many Im just a heretic. God Bless. :confused:

I came here from Lutheran & Baptist churches and see what your saying so well. Christ founded us a Church, His body of which He is the head. That is why being in His Church is so very important and why He wants us united and of one mind in one Church, His Church.

A Church is important! Denomination is critical. Christians can be in any sect though. You don’t have to be a Catholic to be saved - of course it helps alot:rolleyes: .

[quote=Malachi4U]I came here from Lutheran & Baptist churches and see what your saying so well. Christ founded us a Church, His body of which He is the head. That is why being in His Church is so very important and why He wants us united and of one mind in one Church, His Church.

A Church is important! Denomination is critical. Christians can be in any sect though. You don’t have to be a Catholic to be saved - of course it helps alot:rolleyes: .
[/quote]

Yes Malachi,the church[physical] is important for not all have the complete fullness of Truth. There is only one perfect church [spiritual] Body of Christ] but it is not perfect yet. Someday it will be and when it is perfect the Head will be put in place which is our Lord Jesus Christ.Thats when He is coming back.Praise God. :thumbsup:

I don’t necessarily think of “you all” as heretics, I personally feel a little sad for you because you just don’t understand what you’re missing and I’m with Rayne89 on this one. (It’s not my intention to be derrogatory or anything like that and I’m not trying to be mean-spirited, etc. Please don’t take that wrong).

Xavier - you speak of having the real presence walk with you everyday and it’s as real to you as your right arm. Well, I am Catholic and I can tell you for myself and quite frankly, alot of other Catholics, too, that we feel the real presence and it’s as real to us as our right arm. He walks with us in our daily life, every moment of every day. The thing is, though, is that we ALSO have the Real Presence in the Eucharist through Mass and Perpetual Adoration and in any Catholic Church in the Tabernacle. We have Jesus in a way that no one else has - the real body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord and Savior!

There is something extremely comforting in knowing that I can go to Jesus, Himself, body, blood, soul and divinty, anytime, day or night when I really need someone to talk to. Don’t misunderstand, I do as you do, all day long, in talking to Jesus at work, or in the car, etc. It’s just sort of like to going to friend’s house when you really need someone “in person” to talk to. We are human and we need the contact. It’s so hard to explain!

It’s just so completely fulfilling knowing that He is present to us in that way - in the Eucharist! That’s why (I think) that other “services” seem so empty to us. We know that where 2 or more are gathered in His name, He is present but in our Mass, He is truly present and being in the actual presence of Jesus is so awesome and profound!

[quote=DianJo]I don’t necessarily think of “you all” as heretics, I personally feel a little sad for you because you just don’t understand what you’re missing and I’m with Rayne89 on this one. (It’s not my intention to be derrogatory or anything like that and I’m not trying to be mean-spirited, etc. Please don’t take that wrong).

Xavier - you speak of having the real presence walk with you everyday and it’s as real to you as your right arm. Well, I am Catholic and I can tell you for myself and quite frankly, alot of other Catholics, too, that we feel the real presence and it’s as real to us as our right arm. He walks with us in our daily life, every moment of every day. The thing is, though, is that we ALSO have the Real Presence in the Eucharist through Mass and Perpetual Adoration and in any Catholic Church in the Tabernacle. We have Jesus in a way that no one else has - the real body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord and Savior!

There is something extremely comforting in knowing that I can go to Jesus, Himself, body, blood, soul and divinty, anytime, day or night when I really need someone to talk to. Don’t misunderstand, I do as you do, all day long, in talking to Jesus at work, or in the car, etc. It’s just sort of like to going to friend’s house when you really need someone “in person” to talk to. We are human and we need the contact. It’s so hard to explain!

It’s just so completely fulfilling knowing that He is present to us in that way - in the Eucharist! That’s why (I think) that other “services” seem so empty to us. We know that where 2 or more are gathered in His name, He is present but in our Mass, He is truly present and being in the actual presence of Jesus is so awesome and profound!
[/quote]

Dianjo, I respect what you believe,but the Truth is that everything that comes down from Heaven is Spiritual. Its all in the understanding.This is a mystery because you dont see it. Its your faith that lets you see as you see.Everybodys faith is different .Some things can only be seen through the eyes of faith. Believing and seeing are two different things.I hope I make sense to you. God Bless.

Rayne,

Here’s a newspaper story about Alex Jones, a Pentecostal pastor who became a Catholic and brought his congregation with him.
His story is on video at saintjoe.com/
Look under “conversion stories” – it’s called No Price Too High.

ncregister.com/Register_News/Roberts-Jones.htm

You might like to check this out also. This is the website of a former Assembly of God (Pentecostal) member who became Catholic. fullnessoftruth.org/

Both Jones and McNeill have been interviewed on the Journeys Home program on EWTN-TV (interviews available in audio at the EWTN website)

Pray for spokenword, y’all. He is an ex-Catholic who unfortunately has lost his way home.

JMJ Jay
Ex-Southern Baptist, ex-agnostic-ex-atheist, ecstatic to be Catholic!

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Dianjo, I respect what you believe,but the Truth is that everything that comes down from Heaven is Spiritual. Its all in the understanding.This is a mystery because you dont see it. Its your faith that lets you see as you see.Everybodys faith is different .Some things can only be seen through the eyes of faith. Believing and seeing are two different things.I hope I make sense to you. God Bless.
[/quote]

Christianity is a revealed religion – God revealed Himself through his Son, Jesus Christ, and through Christ to the Apostles, and through the Apostles to Christ’s Church which He founded for the salvation of the world – the Catholic Church.

Everybody’s faith is not different: over a billion of us belong to Christ’s Church and believe what He taught through His Apostles. Others belong to man-made churches and all of those thousands of churches have different, man-made beliefs. Protestants aren’t required to believe what their churches teach, however. They can pick and choose the doctrines they like, and discard the ones they don’t like – but it’s all biblical, of course. Private interpretation of the Bible is inherent in the Sola Scriptura doctrine upon which all Protestant churches are based.

Peace be to you and to all who post at Catholic Answers.

JMJ Jay

Peace Jay, I believe you misunderstood what I said about faith.Your level of faith and mine are not alike. Like Jesus said if you had the faith the size of a mustard seed you could move mountains. You must agree we probably dont even have that much. :smiley: Yes, Many are called but few are chosen. I billion doesnt sound like few to me. There are going to be alot of surprises for alot of people who call themselves Christians.In my oppinion Jay you lack godly wisdom and understanding by the words that come from your vocalcords. And please brothers and sisters pray for all of us who are attempting to reach God. :eek:

posted by rayne89

I was wondering if there were any former Pentecostals that have converted to Catholicism on the forum? I went to a church Service this Sunday with my mother-in-law (we were visiting for the weekend) at her Pentecostal church. I watched the people and just felt such profound sadness at far they have strayed from the church founded by Jesus Christ. These people obviously have a great love for Jesus Christ but I just found the service so empty.

Respectfully, you are just as guilty as judging from the outward trappings of worship as the Pentecostal Pastor was. Youth Retreats can be use “loud” music, with trite phrases, but guess what? It touches their heart.

Don’t judge them by the whopping and hollering. Frankly, I have to say if I were to leave the Catholic Church, it would be to a Pentecostal Church. There, like the Catholic Church in the Sacraments, people EXPECT to see God present.

The Holy Spirit is alive and well in the people of Pentecostal Churches just as much as it is in Catholic Churches. I prefer Pentecostals to Cafeteria Catholics. At least they stand up for Christ and refuse to let what they know as the truth to be watered down with relativism.

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Peace Jay, I believe you misunderstood what I said about faith.Your level of faith and mine are not alike. Like Jesus said if you had the faith the size of a mustard seed you could move mountains. You must agree we probably dont even have that much. :smiley: Yes, Many are called but few are chosen. I billion doesnt sound like few to me. There are going to be alot of surprises for alot of people who call themselves Christians.In my oppinion Jay you lack godly wisdom and understanding by the words that come from your vocalcords. And please brothers and sisters pray for all of us who are attempting to reach God. :eek:
[/quote]

Absolutely. And faith is different for many. Those outside the Catholic Church may have a level of faith… but it is not the faith Paul explained. His teachings stressed the Obedience of Faith. When one is lacking in the ability to obey (the epitome of love) one cannot experience and grow in the Faith.

Catholics are supposed to look to the Gospels for instructions from Jesus, and then to the other writers for a further understanding… Non-Catholics seem to only hunt and peck the Gospels, and only add that to their abuse of Paul’s writings (taking out of context, avoiding many verses, etc)

Maybe that is why we understand the Real Presence, Jesus in Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, to be the real foundation of the Faith. After all, He said so in the Gospels, (and Paul re-affirmed the Truth in Corinthians).

Your faith (without Obedience) is like those who chose to walk away. Jesus let them. Jesus lets you. Not out of spite, but because you made the choice.

We will pray for you to make another choice.

[quote=rayne89]I was wondering if there were any former Pentecostals that have converted to Catholicism on the forum?
[/quote]

holds up hand

I was raised in the Church of God (the original Pentecostal denomination), but I was tempered by 8 years in the Southern Baptists before starting the process of becoming Catholic.

And I have found a kind depth of spirit in the repeated Catholic rituals that I never found in all my years in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. Trust me on this–sitting quietly does not mean not praising!!!

DaveBj

[quote=MariaG] Frankly, I have to say if I were to leave the Catholic Church, it would be to a Pentecostal Church. There, like the Catholic Church in the Sacraments, people EXPECT to see God present.
[/quote]

There are only two God-made religions: Judaism and Catholicism. All the rest are made by man.

The Holy Spirit is alive and well in the people of Pentecostal Churches just as much as it is in Catholic Churches.

Well, perhaps. But, if true, the Spirit has taught the Pentecostals one thing and Catholics quite another.

I prefer Pentecostals to Cafeteria Catholics. At least they stand up for Christ and refuse to let what they know as the truth to be watered down with relativism.

Perhaps someone who has traveled the road from fractured belief to unbelief to Catholicism can see more clearly that though some Catholics have fallen into a ditch, they can get up. Their Mother – the Church – will help them up when they’re ready, bring them into her hospital for treatment, and nurse them back to spiritual health.

I didn’t just fall into a ditch – I deliberately jumped into the black hole of atheism. Only Mother Church could have ever pulled me out of that pit. Her beauty and the symmetry of her doctrines were magnets, which drew me irresistibly. Here was true worship. The ersatz emotionalism of Pentecostalism has no appeal; worship is a sermon and a song. I find Protestantism shallow and illogical; I could never be a Protestant.

Today’s relativist may be tomorrow’s saint. The Catholic Church is a hospital for sinners and a training ground for saints. I thank God there was room in His Hospital for an industrial-strength sinner like me!

I LOVE THIS CHURCH.

JMJ Jay

[quote=MariaG]Respectfully, you are just as guilty as judging from the outward trappings of worship as the Pentecostal Pastor was. Youth Retreats can be use “loud” music, with trite phrases, but guess what? It touches their heart.

Your sister in Christ,
Maria
[/quote]

The thing was Marie I felt absolutely nothing in the that church. No Spirit, no presence. I was praying in my head to God while I was there, “I don’t understand, it looks like these people feel your presence but all I feel is a sadness and emptiness. How can that be?” It seemed so hyped up that I thought maybe what people were feeling was their own adrenalin. I believe these people are genuine in their love of Christ. I wasn’t trying to be judgemental, I was just trying to understand.

I have been to other Pentecostal services and I went to a Pentecostal summer camp with my best friend when I was 13. Most of the time the sermons seemed to be about if there is suffering in your life, if you were sick your faith in Jesus isn’t strong enough. I remember thinking so my sister died of cancer because her faith wasn’t strong enough-yeah right.

I just feel conflicted because if Holy Spirit is the one to guide us in truth how can those who say they are guided by the Spirit be going in a completely different direction. Jesus gave us the incredible gift of himself in the Eucharist, how sad he must be that they don’t even know that he’s there.

[quote=Xavier]yes it is foreign.
The Spirit of God which many pentecostals know and some charismatic Catholics is so profound, so life changing, so New Testament church. When my Catholic relatives say- what about the real presence in the Eucharist? I try to explain the real presence that abides in me and on me every minute of every day, It is something that is as real to me as my right arm.
Its as if Im speaking a foreign language to them. To be able to walk with God and to hear from God on a daily basis is something they are not ready to accept.
[/quote]

I do not need to be before the Blessed Sacrament to feel the presence of Christ. He is with me always, I talk to him through out the day. In joyous times I praise him him with thanksgiving and in sadness I run to his loving arms. When I sit in bed at night reading the Bible I feel his loving presence speaking to me through his word. The Eucharist is a gift to us, a piece of Heaven on earth - to behold our Lord body, blood, soul and divinity, how could one possible reject him? How could any amount of singing, preaching and dancing replace this precious miracle God has given us. How could anything even compare.

God is with me, he is a part of who I am. I feel the Holy Spirit, I feel his guiding wisdom. You Catholic family may “not be ready to accept walking with God and hearing from God on a daily basis” but the Catholics in my life have no issue with this. It is what our whole existance is about, it is the reason we are created. What bewilders me if we are both hearing from God why does it seem that what we’re hearing is different.

Check out the videos of these Petacostals (Kenneth Copeland & Kenneth Hagin).
bible.ca/tongues-audio-video-documentation.htm#hagan

bible.ca/tongues-audio-video-documentation.htm#hagan

This happens to be videos of Church Services, there are 10 or 12 and a few didn’t work for me, but many do work.

I have been to pentecostal services and find them very valuable in terms of learning about bible stories and some practical application of the stories in the bible. But I have to admit, i didn’t feel the awe, depth presence of christ like i do in the mass.

The thing about the Mass is, I have gone for many years and didn’t appreciate it until i began to read scripture and study the mass. IT is a masterpiece and I firmly believe that any christian familiar with scripture and theology will find the experience intoxicating. I truly believe it is from God.

But it is prayer that you need to voluntarily partake in. Just as God gives us choice in our regular lives. In the pentecostal church, the loud music and antics leave you able to sit back and be entertained.

As I sit here and type this Jesus is with me, I dont need to go to some chapel (He does not live in temples made of hands).
Not only is jesus with me burt he abides in me. He is in the Father and the Father in Him so He and the Father are both within me. I cant leave out the HS He resides in me also, what a profound reality this is.
God inhabits the praises of His saints, when we lift up our voices in praise and worship Him he inhabits them.
These services anre not empty a hurry up and get it over with mass that lasts 40 minutes as is common. But these services routinely last 3 and 4 hours with few people leaving early. Empty no they certainitly are not.

[quote=Katholikos]Christianity is a revealed religion – God revealed Himself through his Son, Jesus Christ, and through Christ to the Apostles, and through the Apostles to Christ’s Church which He founded for the salvation of the world – the Catholic Church.

Everybody’s faith is not different: over a billion of us belong to Christ’s Church and believe what He taught through His Apostles. Others belong to man-made churches and all of those thousands of churches have different, man-made beliefs. Protestants aren’t required to believe what their churches teach, however. They can pick and choose the doctrines they like, and discard the ones they don’t like – but it’s all biblical, of course. Private interpretation of the Bible is inherent in the Sola Scriptura doctrine upon which all Protestant churches are based.

Peace be to you and to all who post at Catholic Answers.

JMJ Jay
[/quote]

Kinda like John Kerry not having to believe what his church teaches?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.