Former President Bill Clinton & former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton will attend the inauguration of Donald Trump

Former President Bill Clinton & former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton will attend the inauguration of Donald Trump, aides say.

twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/816362207160238080

Former President George W. Bush and former First Lady Laura Bush will attend 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony on January 20, 2017.

twitter.com/ABC/status/816344086806429700

Jimmy Carter will also attend.

President George H.W. Bush, will not be attending due to his health

So? I won’t be watching. Like the Mormon Tabernacle choir singer who in good conscience can’t sing for him, in good conscience I can not watch his inauguration. He will be my President for 4 yrs unless he resigns or something. But he does not represent my values as a Christian. Things like his bragging on a video at 59 yrs of age about his sexual prowess due to being famous and mocking the disabled and bragging about being able to shoot someone in NYC and he wouldn’t lose any support do not represent my values.

But is it that unusual for former living Presidents and their spouses to attend?

Why not a thread title “Former living presidents and their spouses will attend the inauguration”? Why single out the Clintons? Or are they just who the Trump camp is tweeting about?

I think that the unique feature of this is that Hillary lost and she is still attending the inauguration. While I never liked her, I will give her credit for that. If I was in her shoes I might prefer to go fishing for the day.

Indeed. Give credit where it is due. Certainly, it’s no surprise for former presidents and their spouses to attend. But if I were her, I certainly would rather be anywhere else and would try to come up with almost any excuse not to go. I think it’s a good sign that she is willing to attend when it could be an opportunity for deepening the dividing line.

I guess. Did Ford attend Carter’s and did Carter attend Reagan’s after they lost? I know Gore presided over the Senate when the 2000 EC results were announced.

Oh I give her immense credit. She’s a better person than I. And it shows more than the President-elect’s New Years tweet did when he had the opportunity not to deepen the divide. But instead he had to get a dig in at those of us who opposed him. Although I’m sure she knows she did win the vote of 3 million more Americans than he did and that 54% of the American people did not vote for him. So hopefully that will somewhat ease any uneasiness she might feel.

To be fair, most of the folks who opposed him all the way to the presidency have been getting their digs in (often in foul fashion) for many, many months. Turnabout is fair play.

Although I’m sure she knows she did win the vote of 3 million more Americans than he did and that 54% of the American people did not vote for him. So hopefully that will somewhat ease any uneasiness she might feel.

This mostly just means that California voted for her. I’m glad that we live in the United States of America, and not the United States of America But Mostly California. Also, her margin of victory in the popular vote is just that: a margin. Hardly something to write home about, when virtually half of the country voted for Trump instead.

As defunct as she and her ideals have become to virtually half of the country, I would think she feels rather uneasy, myself. Who knows.

Take a look at the time stamps of the first three posts. They are within minutes of each other and it gives information on the Clintons, both Bushs and Carter. How is that singling out the Clintons? Also take a look at the tweet link, it is CNBC that tweeted out the Clintons will be attending, not the “Trump camp”

Yes but it is Donald Trump who is now the President-elect and if he is serious about healing and taking the higher ground, the New Years tweet certainly didn’t show it.

I’m actually hoping the Democrats work with our new President where they might be able to find common ground such as on infrastructure. Unlike current Speaker Ryan and the Republicans who gathered at a steakhouse on the night of the 2008 inauguration and in 3 hrs decided to just oppose President Obama from day one on everything.

pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-republicans-plan-for-the-new-president/

But if they don’t, I’ll remember your words that turnabout is fair play.

Republicans might now back infrastructure since it will be Trump and not Obama getting the credit.

CA? Take away TX and the President-elect doesn’t hit 270 EC votes.

Yes I noticed that which was actually more puzzling to me as to why the title. A different title could have been used simply linking to the CNBC tweet about the Clintons and providing the sources about the other former Presidents and spouses all in the first post rather than minutes apart.

To attend, they had to be invited, which speaks a lot better of Trump’s decency than some of those who hate him show.

Yes Ford did
Yes Carter did

The MSM was telling everyone that Hillary would win by a landslide. Then when she lost, the MSM said that no ex-president would attend the inauguration, with the possible exception of Carter. Recently they tell us that Trump won because Putin rigged the election.

He can only do what others will let him do. The continued fiasco that is a large portion of the liberal response to Trump’s presidency is worth a zing or two over Twitter, in my opinion.

I’m actually hoping the Democrats work with our new President where they might be able to find common ground such as on infrastructure.

Me, too.

Unlike current Speaker Ryan and the Republicans who gathered at a steakhouse on the night of the 2008 inauguration and in 3 hrs decided to just oppose President Obama from day one on everything.

How dare they decide to use their legal rights and powers to oppose a campaign they thought would hurt the country, the cads. :thumbsup:

But if they don’t, I’ll remember your words that turnabout is fair play.

Knock yourself out. Words are just words.

Republicans might now back infrastructure since it will be Trump and not Obama getting the credit.

The wall will count as infrastructure, certainly. :thumbsup:

CA? Take away TX and the President-elect doesn’t hit 270 EC votes.

And without CA, Clinton wouldn’t have come anywhere near the popular vote.

Not sure why this is news. Every former President always attends, unless health prevents (like Bush the elder). It is a very nice and kinda important tradition. I know the Donald is a different sort of Pres, but not that different (IMHO).

Might as well add to the Circus ,

To be more exact, about 47% of the country did not vote for EITHER of the major candidates or the third-party candidates. So many people are either apathetic about politics, even the presidency, or totally disillusioned. This is unfortunate but it is what it is.

We don’t know yet for certain just how “different” a president Donald Trump may be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.