Former President George H.W. Bush Dies at 94

This is a cultural thing. I once saw a counsel from Texas get up in front of a federal appeals court and argue in a contract case that a man’s word is his bond, especially down in Texas, and therefore the man’s word was the same as if it was written in a legal contract.

In some parts of the country and some cultures, a man’s promise is taken very seriously.

Basically, one should always consider what is said on the campaign trail as hyperbole, not vows.

I don’t expect campaign promises to be fulfilled, but I still hold a man, even a politician, to his word.

What are campaign promises if not a man’s word?

During the funeral, one of the speakers who’s known the family for ages said that he (the elder Bush) often put what was best for the country above what he personally wanted to do even though it meant he would be criticized. Raising taxes may have been one of those things.

Lowering spending would be far better. The previous generations have saddled future generations with a debt that can never be repaid.

:rofl: Really good swerve! A+!

Bush’s opponents vowed … promised … to cut spending … and reneged. As part of the deal, Bush promised to cancel his tax cuts. So, the Democrats got the spending they wanted and avoided the tax cuts.

Bush 41 became pro-life versus a past on the issue that did not always belie this.

That’s going to be a top priority with me. A moral wrong and evil as slavery was.

Not judging others as having lied.

As the life of anyone’s is or nearly anyone’s, a bit complex.

I didn’t vote for him. I was a believing Democrat then. Only parted company with the Dem party when it became so very dedicated to abortion. But I don’t know that GHW Bush was particularly prolife at the time. Embarrassing to think about it now.

That Bush 41 was largely carrying the torch from the Reagan years may or may not have something to do with his attitudes during his term… but I certainly do not believe he set out to maliciously deceive others about his “no new taxes” pledge. Things fall through, just like this “Wall” promise. Could happen, might not. I think Trump has been sincere in wishing to see it built. It does not mean it will be and for the record, as an issue, not that important to me. Border security otoh, is. I don’t mean to go off-topic, I guess, I’m using an analogy.

Bush 41 …

Eternal rest grant unto George H. W. Bush, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.

In the US, the national flag is being flown at half-staff for a period of 30 days (as is customary for Presidents). When you see the lowered flag, may it remind you to offer a short prayer such as the Sign of the Cross for the elder President Bush.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.