Former SDAsteps into a Catholic church for the first time.

I hope this is the right forun section to post this in :\ I've lurked this site for a long time but rarely post anything.

First, let me say that I was a 4th generation SDA from my mom's side of the family and a third from my dad's. That should explain a lot right there. ;) I'm not SDA anymore.

Anyway... there is a Catholic church about a 1/4 mile from my house. Every day I hear its bells ringing. As I was driving by and the bells started going off. I don't know why I decided to go in, I've past the church a thousand times and never thought about visiting.

It was the most beautiful church I had ever been in...amazing compared to any church I've visited.

I was a little intimitated because I didn't know what rules there are for entering the church so I just ended up walking in and sitting in the back pew.

I always have a Bible with me in the car (ESV) so I brought it in with me. There were a few other people there praying. I knelt down, prayed, then started to read and a feeling of peace came over me like I've never felt in another church.

More people started coming in and I began to wonder what was going on. Then everyone stood upand a priest walked dowwn the isle. I realized they were doing Mass! I sort of freaked out because I didn't know if I was even supposed to be in there but I thought it rude just to walk out. At least I knew enough that I wasn't supposed to take the bread and wine.

After mass a nun, at least I think she was a nun, came up to me and said I looked a little confused during mass. I told her my story. She took me to her office and gave me a New American Bible, a United states Catechism, and the Catechism of the Catholic church. She wasn't pushy or anything, it was just like she was giving me a gift to be nice. These were some expensive books she had given me.

She took me back into the church and taught me how I should enter and what I should do as a non-catholic at mass. Then invited me back the next day. I've gone 4 days straight now.

Last night I was talking to my father, he's no longer SDA either, telling him about my experience.he seemed to know a lot about the Catholic church because his cousins,aunts,uncles, most of his family other than his parents, were Catholic. My Mom overheard us and flipped out and started crying. She was REALLY upset. I told her about the peace I felt and the nun but she wouldn't listen. I could see that she was very hurt and concerned for me.

I wish I could convince her to go once but she refuses to even step on the church property. My Dad said he would go but he doesn't want to die just yet and my mom would kill him if he did.

So there's my experience for what it's worth. There are a lot of things I don't think I'll ever be able to believe in good conciounce (the Pope, the bread and wine actually being the flesh and blood of Jesus, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but what seems to be a total obsession with Mary) but I KNOW for sure I'll be back in that church praying and reading again. I'll even do the sign of the cross thing with the water that kind and giving nun taught me :D

Prayers as you're starting a journey you can't imagine where it'll end at this point.

Kris

blessings friend! :thumbsup:

This story sounds awfully familiar for some reason...

just keep praying and reading, praying and reading. And maybe some praying.

oh, and have you tried attending adoration?

[quote="Mighty_Pawn, post:1, topic:260873"]
I just ended up walking in and sitting in the back pew.

[/quote]

A good way to start.

I knelt down, prayed,

can't go wrong by kneeling and praying

then started to read and a feeling of peace came over me like I've never felt in another church.

I just love that feeling. Don't you?

I've gone 4 days straight now.

God is calling you to sit in his presence. You don't have to "do" or "be" anything at all. Just sit there with him.

My Mom overheard us and flipped out and started crying. She was REALLY upset...
...I wish I could convince her to go once but she refuses to even step on the church property.

You don't have to convince your Mom of anything. Just give her a hug. Tell her you lover. Tell her you love Jesus.

So there's my experience for what it's worth.

And a beautiful experience it is.

I KNOW for sure I'll be back in that church praying and reading again. I'll even do the sign of the cross thing with the water that kind and giving nun taught me :D

May you always find the peace you found on your first visit.

Peace,

My family is SDA and for a long time my parents fought me over my Catholicism- So I understand the SDA horror at even a vague idea of Catholicism, especially if you used to be SDA and left! Don't worry, though. Our Lord is obviously leading you- The peace you felt (Catholics call it consolation) is the perfume he leaves where he's been- If you're sincere and willing to follow the truth whatever it is- wherever it is- you'll find your way to where God wants you.

I wish you well- And don't stop attending daily mass. The Catechism you got can help explain a lot whenever you need answers about stuff that puzzles you.

Peace!

Come from a town of SDAs. Married into a devout SDA family (SDA from the start; some members had worked for Ellen White). Been to the very anti-Catholic "prophecy" seminars.

I can relate! I know you're mom is scared. I know the anti-Catholic sentiment. She is afraid for your eternal salvation.

Pray. God is going to get you where you're supposed to be!!

:hug1:

A beautiful testimony.

Be gentle with your mother. I'm sure your dad will be of some help here.

You have invited her to attend and she has declined. I'd let the matter drop. In her present state of mind, even if she were to agree to attend, she would likely be so closed to the spirit that little good would come from it.

For now, just continue your study quietly. Attend mass as often as possible and see where the Lord leads you.

As an aside, I believe that the great peace you felt when reading the written word in that back pew was the result of the Living Word, physically present in the tabernacle of the Church.

Peace
James

I'm excited for you. I remember my first journey into a Catholic Church. I somehow ended up in an Easter Vigil Mass (Neocatechuminal) that lasted literally 6 hours. Most would be like "What the HECK??" but it was literally one of the most amazing moments I've ever recieved in the House of God.

Christ is calling you. Just follow Him. Pray & read the Catechism. I've never been so content in my life. Our walk comes with it's cross & it's heavy, but God gives us the strength to carry it. Lean on God with your struggles at home & like others have said, just love her unconditionally. The Holy Spirit will move through your Home.

God bless. I hope to keep reading updates about your journey. ;):thumbsup:

[quote="chief714, post:10, topic:260873"]
I'm excited for you. I remember my first journey into a Catholic Church. I somehow ended up in an Easter Vigil Mass (Neocatechuminal) that lasted literally 6 hours. Most would be like "What the HECK??"

[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote="chief714, post:10, topic:260873"]
I'm excited for you. I remember my first journey into a Catholic Church. I somehow ended up in an Easter Vigil Mass (Neocatechuminal) that lasted literally 6 hours. Most would be like "What the HECK??" but it was literally one of the most amazing moments I've ever recieved in the House of God. :

[/quote]

Ive been to so many of those Easter Vigil Masses, which last around 6 hours like you say. They start at around 12:00AM midnight and end up around 6AM. They are so amazing. I always start getting hungry, but it all ends when I receive the Eucharist.

Listen to the call of God and just go for it!

OH, MY GOSH!!!! I can't believe it!!!! A Seventh-day Adventist stepped into a Roman Catholic church on their own accord!!!

My apologies, but I've been raised Catholic, but live in a SDA community. Pretty much everyone I know is SDA. I got my BFF to go to Mass with me once. I've been waiting for this day a long long time! I'm so so so glad. Welcome, welcome, welcome! Sorry if I'm annoying!

[quote="ScareBear, post:8, topic:260873"]
Come from a town of SDAs. Married into a devout SDA family (SDA from the start; some members had worked for Ellen White). Been to the very anti-Catholic "prophecy" seminars.

I can relate! I know you're mom is scared. I know the anti-Catholic sentiment. She is afraid for your eternal salvation.

Pray. God is going to get you where you're supposed to be!!

:hug1:

[/quote]

So do I! What is with SDAs and anti-Catholicism? We don't go around preaching hell on protestants...

I was touched by the OP's experience, I am so glad that the Catholic church's always keeps her doors open to the house of God;

John 6:37 Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets:

‘They shall all be taught by God.’

Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me.

In your journey "Trust in God". May the peace and love of Christ be with you always in your journey of life.

John 14;6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth* and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

[quote="White_Peony, post:15, topic:260873"]
So do I! What is with SDAs and anti-Catholicism? We don't go around preaching hell on protestants...

[/quote]

Right!?!?!?

:)

[quote="Mighty_Pawn, post:1, topic:260873"]
I've gone 4 days straight now.

[/quote]

Well, I was going to say that I hope you'd return some time and I'm sure you're always welcome, but it appears you've got both counts.

What I'll say, then, (and this might be a little premature considering that you haven't yet exactly discerned the church) is welcome home!

I wish I could convince her to go once but she refuses to even step on the church property. My Dad said he would go but he doesn't want to die just yet and my mom would kill him if he did.

I've often wondered about this massive reluctance to even see if what the SDA teaches about us is even true...

So there's my experience for what it's worth. There are a lot of things I don't think I'll ever be able to believe in good conciounce (the Pope, the bread and wine actually being the flesh and blood of Jesus, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but what seems to be a total obsession with Mary) but I KNOW for sure I'll be back in that church praying and reading again. I'll even do the sign of the cross thing with the water that kind and giving nun taught me :D

I'll only briefly address one of your concerns, because this isn't the place for it (if you want to understand why we believe the things we do, head over to the apologetics section of the forum). You've been to mass 4 times now... did any of those masses focus on or obsess over Mary? You've seen the consecration of the Eucharist... the sacrament of most holy worship four times now. Did any of the Eucharistic prayers focus on Mary or were they all built off the words of Christ at the last supper?

We respect Mary, certainly, and we love her, but our Worship is for God alone! (and I might point out that no matter how much we love Mary, we can be sure that Christ loves His mother more than we do!)

Okay, all that to say: challenge the church! If you've got an objection, read the catholic answer, read the writings of the early christians in regards to those subjects! If the church has the truth (and at least I hold that it does) then you can challenge it and as long as you honestly research, you'll come to the right answer!

And if you're doing that, I'm going to reiterate my preemptive "welcome home!"

Congratulations for taking the step to go to Mass. It is a beautiful worship of God.

When I was in RCIA I started going to Mass on Sunday. At that very first Mass, I realized that I would become Catholic.

Best thing I ever did and I thank God every single day for making me Catholic. :signofcross:

:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.