Former Swiss Guard Commander confirms 'Gay Lobby' at Vatican

catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=20241

Article just popped up in the last hour…

I’m not familiar with that site. Is it’s reporting normally reputable?

It is a Catholic World News article.

I’m not sure. It has links to the National Catholic Distorter further down the page as an additional source. Here is what it says on their about page:

Because of its independent stand, CWN often breaks stories in controversial areas that other media sources cannot or will not cover. CWN takes a special interest in issues such as:

•The “life issues”, including abortion and contraception, divorce and same-sex marriage, euthanasia and embryo research;
•Religious freedom, especially for Catholics, both in the US and abroad;
•Liturgical and theological debates within the Church;
•Ecumenical affairs, particularly involving the Eastern churches; and
•Problems inside the Catholic Church, notably including the sex-abuse scandal.

:shrug:

I was hoping that perhaps there’s some mistake, but if it’s a trusted source, this is very disconcerting.

From last June, by Jimmy Akin

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/pope-francis-and-the-vatican-gay-lobby10-things-to-know-and-share

Time for everyone to take a deep breath. This is not “new” news

There is also a version in The Guardian: Swiss Guard veteran claims existence of ‘gay network’ at the Vatican

This article also includes references to priests attempting to solicit guards.

Mäder, 50, from the canton of St Gallen, refused to comment on speculation that he had warned guardsmen about the behaviour of certain priests.

Earlier this month, the same newspaper reported the claims of a former, unnamed member of the Guard that he had been the target of more than 20 “unambiguous sexual requests” from clergy while serving in the force.

Recounting a dinner in a Rome restaurant, the man was quoted as saying: “As the spinach and steak were served, the priest said to me: ‘And you are the dessert’.”

Very concerning, to say the least.

I’ll say…

As for the “newness” of this news, I guess my disturbance of it is partially due to my hoping that the Holy Father’s comments a while back were misunderstood or out of context. But Jimmy Akin’s analysis seems fair and reasonable.

Of course, if there is a gay lobby at the Vatican, that would be a problem for the Pope to deal with, and I don’t doubt his ability to deal with the Vatican bureaucracy. Given that there seem to be gay lobbies in many institutions and media, one should not be surprised to find one even at the Vatican.

The point is what do they expect to accomplish at the Vatican?

The Vatican is like any other large institution, the office political system is alive and kicking. Whether it’s a Gay Lobby, conservative lobby or liberal lobby, humans are interested in obtaining power for their own specific interests. I would not worry though, Papa Francis began cleaning house last month of those cardinals who were power hungry, and we can assume from his actions, that he will continue to wreck havoc on their perfect little kingdoms!:wink:

Tolerance can no longer be the answer for the continuing existence of sexual predators within the Catholic institutional Church.

The reputation of the Catholic Church, and the destroyed souls of too many of our young boys and men, have suffered all too much.

The male nature of the priesthood is such that there can be no tolerance for this kind of lifestyle within the ranks of the priesthood. As long as these lobbies and these men exist even at the highest levels of the Church up to and including the Vatican, the cover-ups that have plagued and damaged the Church will continue.

The very existence of this lobby continues to scandalize the priesthood. Parishioners need to be reassured that everything is being done to ensure that the flocks are not being led by a bathhouse culture of homosexual lechery.

I hope Pope Francis rids the Vatican of scandal and corruption. :yup:

Completely unacceptable behavior. :sadyes: :frowning:

foxnews.com/world/2014/01/24/vatican-urges-ex-swiss-guard-commander-to-detail-allegations-security-threat/print

*VATICAN CITY – A senior Vatican official has urged a former Swiss Guard commander to come forward with details about accusations that the gay culture in the Vatican posed a security threat to the pope.

Elmar Maeder, who headed the Swiss Guards from 2002-2008, told the Swiss newspaper Schweiz am Sonntag that he didn’t doubt that predatory gays worked at the Vatican. He was quoted as saying that in his experience, “many homosexuals tend to be more loyal toward each other than toward other people or institutions.” He said he wouldn’t promote gay guards out of fear they might be disloyal.

In an interview with La Repubblica, Archbishop Angelo Becciu, No. 2 in the Vatican’s secretariat of state, urged Maeder to provide names to back his accusations. His office confirmed his quotes Friday.*

Thought I had heard this before.

VATICAN CITY – A senior Vatican official has urged a former Swiss Guard commander to come forward with details about accusations that the gay culture in the Vatican posed a security threat to the pope.

Elmar Maeder, who headed the Swiss Guards from 2002-2008, told the Swiss newspaper Schweiz am Sonntag that he didn’t doubt that predatory gays worked at the Vatican. He was quoted as saying that in his experience, “many homosexuals tend to be more loyal toward each other than toward other people or institutions.” He said he wouldn’t promote gay guards out of fear they might be disloyal.

In an interview with La Repubblica, Archbishop Angelo Becciu, No. 2 in the Vatican’s secretariat of state, urged Maeder to provide names to back his accusations. His office confirmed his quotes Friday.

foxnews.com/world/2014/01/24/vatican-urges-ex-swiss-guard-commander-to-detail-allegations-security-threat/

Sometimes I wonder… Why is this news?

Oh heavens, I am happy to see that someone’s looking into it.

When I saw the original story by the commander, my very first thought (after being upset) was, “okay, who’s asking this guy who it was that did these things.”

Seems more like an “OK, big talker; name names or it’s all BS” kind of thing to me. Time for the guy to put up or shut up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.