Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell indicted over gift scandal

Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell, once a rising star in the Republican Party who was considered potential presidential material, has been indicted along with his wife on federal charges of accepting illegal gifts.

The 14-count indictment, culminating a lengthy investigation of their relationship with a Virginia business executive, alleges honest services fraud, false statements and obstruction.

Gifts valued at a minimum of $140,000 in total included designer clothes, a Rolex watch, golf clubs, iPhones and a painting, according to a list of items included in the indictment.

The evidence presented in the indictment is pretty damning. I don’t see how the McDonnell’s will escape conviction. Link to the article here.

Maybe if he quickly changes his party affiliation to Democrat,that would insure he would get off Scott free;)

I am more than happy to watch Christie and McDonnell self-destruct before the primary campaigns kick off.

:rotfl: Then, he and the prosecutor could compare the gifts they have received.

Last I checked, Rod Blagojevich was sentenced to 14 years in federal prison for soliciting bribes among other things. We’ll see what happens to these Republican darlings now that they’ve been caught committing essentially the same crimes which, granted, were done for different reasons. Although, in the end and not unlike selling a Senate seat, the McDonnell’s were eager to put the public’s health and possibly lives at risk so they could live high off the hog.

McDonnell still is potential presidential material, maybe more than ever now.

Not if the GOP expects to win. Of the vast pool of legitimate attack ads which can be derived from this scandal; I imagine the GOP would have the toughest time answering how a man who took bribes because he couldn’t manage his own finances can handle the economy of an entire country. Plus, you’re going to need more than $4,000 in the bank just to be a candidate these days.

My comment was semi-facetious. Since the bar to become President is so low these days, what do a few crimes or scandals mean?

:smiley:

:rotfl:

Bad behavior is bad behavior. What does party affiliation have to do with it? :shrug:

Think about it…:wink:

I have thought about it, and I think bad behavior is bad behavior, and in the case of the former governor - if the charges are true and proven - that he should be held accountable. Do you think differently? Or were you just trying to get in a political “dig”?

The latter…

Yes amazing how a hundred grand in a refrigerator or that Charlie Rangle ended up a millionaire on a Congressman’s salary doesn’t seem to be of much interest. That being said, if I were McDonnell I’d divorce that witch he’s married to. What a greedy, self absorbed, and unethical woman…ugh. I hate that.

I heard an interview on POTUS and the evidence is pretty bad but as one of the pundits said, of course this is one side of the story. Remember when they hounded that poor Senator in Alaska out of office and eventually the case was completely dropped due to unconvincing evidence and testimony. Too little too late and the man died in a plane crash before his name was vindicated.

I think there IS a double standard, particularly with this nasty DOJ in the Obama administration. But if McDonnell is guilty, let that be a lesson to future politicians.

Lisa

Even I was surprised at her zealousness and even insistence upon being pampered and cared for by “JW.”

The conviction was voided, thanks to an FBI whistleblower and Eric Holder, because of some pretty egregious prosecutorial misconduct. I don’t know who’s toes Mr. Stevens stepped on in the Bush Administration, but the lesson learned in that case was that you shouldn’t even give the appearance of misconduct when you’re in public office. Your enemies will always find out about it.

Really? Personally, I find it much more entertaining to watch Republicans shred each other in the primaries. They do a much more thorough and vicious job than anyone on the left ever could. :smiley:

Uh what primaries?

1. I’m sure the trailers and sneak previews will be starting soon though.

Oh right and which primary is former Governor McDonnell planning to participate in?

One interesting thing to note is the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. A Democrat does something egregious, disgusting or illegal. The other Dems circle the wagon claiming the accused is a victim or racism, sexism, homophobia or whatever the identity du jour is. A Republican does something egregious, disgusting or illegal and he’s ignored at best or even vilified by his own party.

While I’m not a fan of the circular firing squad I am never surprised by how far the Democrats will go to protect truly evil, illegal or immoral activity. Right now the Dems are claiming that the Republicans are “picking on” Wendy Davis, not for her lies, her support of late term abortion but because she’s a woman. Go figure.

Lisa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.