Forms of therapy ok for Catholics?

Has anyone heard of a form of therapy called family constellation work? Is it something that a Catholic can participate in? Thanks

As long as it doesn't deny Catholic teachings or have you practice another religion it would be fine to try.

What’s family constellation?

[quote="tjones80, post:2, topic:347447"]
As long as it doesn't deny Catholic teachings or have you practice another religion it would be fine to try.

[/quote]

I don't know if it denies Catholic teaching... thats why I was asking?

[quote="Sky_River, post:3, topic:347447"]
What's family constellation?

[/quote]

It's new to me as well, someone advised it to me. Here is what wiki has to say...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Constellations

[quote="harp4joy, post:1, topic:347447"]
Has anyone heard of a form of therapy called family constellation work? Is it something that a Catholic can participate in? Thanks

[/quote]

Correct me if mistaken,, but it reminds me of something in the bible about future family generations ,,suffering mistakes of past generations,,, some intelligent person will quote it,,,

Perhaps Clearwater even...

Frankly, I would stay away.
Family Constellations was founded by Bert Hellinger an ex-Catholic priest who appears to have gone off the rails in terms of thinking.
Below are some of his views:

Adolf Hitler - Hellinger created controversy in writing a poem dedicated to Adolf Hitler which asks the reader to identify something of themselves in Hitler and to respect that part of themselves. Several articles related to this appeared in the Dutch antifascist magazine “Alert!”.
Incest - Hellinger’s position on Incest that the perpetrator should not be punished is regarded as questionable in the therapeutic community and is summarized by this quote taken from one of his recent books:
Now about incest. If you are confronted with cases of incest, a very common dynamic is that the wife withdraws from her husband, she refuses a sexual relationship. Then, as a kind of compensation, a daughter takes her place. This is an unconscious movement, not a conscious one. But you see, with incest there are two perpetrators, one in the background and one in the open. You cannot resolve that unless this hidden perpetrator is brought in. There are very strange sentences that come to light. The daughter can tell her mother, “I do it for you.” And she can tell her father, “I do it for mother.” What is the effect of these sentences? Incest cannot go on anymore. If you want to stop it, this is the best way without any accusations.
If you bring a perpetrator to justice, then the victim will atone for what is done to the perpetrator."
Hellinger goes on to tell a story of an incest/abuse victim who became suicidal, because the perpetrator was prosecuted.

Other controversial positions taken by Hellinger:

• A breast cancer victim may secretly want to die due to a woman’s unconscious “war with her mother.”
  • Homosexuality may result because a boy unconsciously assumes the feelings of a deceased aunt or great aunt when there are no female descendants in the lineal family system.
  • Rape and incest create a bond; the perpetrator must receive “due respect” before the victim can bond with another.

Please read this link (below) before making a decision on this. I have hear Father Robert Sears speak.

familytreehealing.com/about.html

[quote="Chayla, post:8, topic:347447"]
Please read this link (below) before making a decision on this. I have hear Father Robert Sears speak.

familytreehealing.com/about.html

[/quote]

There is no need to read a link (although I did) that has nothing to do with Family Constellations founded by Bert Hellinger.

Avoid Family Constellations like the plague.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.