Fort Lauderdale shooter says he carried out attack for ISIS, FBI claims

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (CNN)Esteban Santiago, the man charged with killing five people at the Fort Lauderdale airport, told FBI agents he carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS, FBI special agent Michael Ferlazzo testified at Santiago’s bond hearing Tuesday.

The agent did not elaborate on whether Santiago was purporting to be linked to ISIS or simply inspired by the terrorist organization.
Federal authorities in Alaska said Santiago told them prior to the attack that he was hearing voices and that his mind was being controlled by the CIA. Santiago initially made similar claims during an interrogation following the shooting, but once he was transferred to the FBI office in Miramar, Florida, Santiago introduced the ISIS claim and never again mentioned mind control, Ferlazzo testified.

cnn.com/2017/01/17/us/fort-lauderdale-shooter-isis-claim/index.html?sr=twCNN011717fort-lauderdale-shooter-isis-claim0510PMStoryLink&linkId=33479536

I think alot of people strongly suspected this from the beginning.

Agree.

Now we know with certainty…

Not really. All we know is that he said this. But he also said that he was being mind-controlled by the government - not just two months ago back in Alaska where he underwent a prolonged psychiatric examination by the FBI, but after the shooting too. His word is obviously not trustworthy. If you are certain he was acting on behalf of ISIS because he said so then you would also be certain he was being mind-controlled by the government because he said that too. No, I’m afraid we still know very little for certain, except this this is one seriously messed up individual.

I love that I can agree with you occasionally. We need a larger discussion in this country about what is mental illness and what can and should be done about it. We have swung so far to the side of rights for the mentally ill that friends and family members are powerless to do anything to help adults who are a danger to themselves or others, even though they may be in the best position to know. At a minimum we need a way to have required professional evaluations for people reported as dangerous, and legal protections for those who report in good faith, as well as holding accountable those who report in bad faith. I would not be in favor of anonymous reporting. If you care about a sick person, stand up for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.