Forum attitude towards SSPX

How is SSPX viewed by those who run this forum and by the majority of members who make contributions? Thank you.

You might want to post a poll to get the general membership attitude. I’m not sure if we are allowed to discuss this topic as per the forum rules, but I don’t expend much energy thinking about SSPX, so I could be ignorant.

I find the SSPX teaching that one can’t attend the mass as offered worldwide in every diocese to fulfull the Sunday obligation to be disturbing.

The link is to the SSPX society. I do not endorse the materials at that site.

SSPX is schismatic and most of the posters here are faithful orthodox Catholics. Not much more needs to be said.

Since I have witnessed a particuarly rabid adherant to the SSPX for the past five or so years, my opinion of the SSPX cannot be posted here.

Of course, I have the same opinion of the Radical Modernists.
PF

They’re schismatics. I’m sorry they are. I hope they submit to the Holy See and come back into communion.

The SSPX is a major protector of tradition.

I don’t know, maybe alot of the people in here are liberals(modernists), and modernism is a heresy!

The liberals don’t care about tradition. They simpily do whatever they think is more fashionable.

So, hollingsworth, The majoity and thier opinion is not always correct.

[quote=NORMAjean1979]The SSPX is a major protector of tradition.

I don’t know, maybe alot of the people in here are liberals(modernists), and modernism is a heresy!

The liberals don’t care about tradition. They simpily do whatever they think is more fashionable.

So, hollingsworth, The majoity and thier opinion is not always correct.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, SSPX has forgotten: Ubi Petrus, ibi Ecclesia.

[quote=NORMAjean1979]I don’t know, maybe alot of the people in here are liberals(modernists), and modernism is a heresy!
[/quote]

I think most people here are not modernists. It depends on the sense you give the word.

“I declare that I am completely opposed to the error of the modernists who hold that there is nothing divine in sacred tradition; or what is far worse, say that there is, but in a pantheistic sense, with the result that there would remain nothing but this plain simple fact-one to be put on a par with the ordinary facts of history-the fact, namely, that a group of men by their own labor, skill, and talent have continued through subsequent ages a school begun by Christ and his apostles.” Here is the source of this quote.

I agree, the majority is not always correct.

[quote=NORMAjean1979]I don’t know, maybe alot of the people in here are liberals(modernists), and modernism is a heresy!

[/quote]

Since you are new here, I will simply say that what you suggested is not true, not if your labels have any substantial meaning to them. I would recommend that it is better to be slow to jump to conclusions. Faithfulness to authority (something these “protectors” lack), does not a modernist make.

hollingsworth:

You may want to do a search on titles with "SSPX in them to get a clearer perspective on how people here think of the SSPX. You will find out it is mostly black or white when it comes to opinions.

You will also find that most of the people here are orthodox in their Catholic belief. This makes for interesting comments from both ends of the spectrum. We get accused of being “Modernists” or “Progressive” by the Radical Traditionalists and of being “Traditionalists” by the Radical Modernists.

PF

Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the power to “bind or loose”, to forgive sins or have them retained. To establish a Church that the gates of hell will not be able to touch! For 1500 yrs. That was the teaching of the Church until Luther decided that he should have the final say! My opinion of SSPX is that they also find themselves as the ones with the authority to speak for Jesus. An authority that they simply don’t have. This is coming from a guy that is as consertive as you will find. I love the latin Mass and will attend one that is approved by our pope and bishops. I will never go into schism!
Mike

Okay . . . Ignorant fool here . . .

What is SSPX?

Society of St. PiusX. A SCHISMATIC group who refuse to submit to the authority of Rome and the Second Vatican Council. Sad. Very sad. :nope:

I will first state that I am not a member of the SSPX, and I do not call into question the validity of the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II), but I only attend Mass at an indult Traditional Latin Mass.

I believe that the liberal highjacking of Vatican II and the misguided reform of the liturgy of the Roman Rite has lead to the massive problems we have today, on every level effecting Holy Mother Church.

I believe that some day, the excommunication of Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre and his four bishops will be lifted. I also believe that, like many formally excommunicated men before him who were later canonized, Lefebvre will some day be lifted to the altar as a saint.

Were it not for Archbishop Lefebvre’s work to hold onto Tradition, call into question the novelties following Vatican II and leading the way for a return to the Traditional Latin Mass, the Mass of the ages, the “most beautiful thing this side of Heaven,” the indult, the FSSP, et al, would never have seen the light of day, and the Traditional Latin Mass would have died on the “spirit of Vatican II.”

God bless Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre!

check out forum rules on the stickies, it is a banned topic, does that give you a clue?

[quote=puzzleannie]check out forum rules on the stickies, it is a banned topic, does that give you a clue?
[/quote]

A link would be helpful. I looked at the banned topics sticky in the Water Cooler, and SSPX is not listed at this time. I also looked in the help button and found the forum rules and it is also not listed there. That was a reasonable effort to ascertain the rules.

[quote=PreVatII]I will first state that I am not a member of the SSPX, and I do not call into question the validity of the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II), but I only attend Mass at an indult Traditional Latin Mass.

I believe that the liberal highjacking of Vatican II and the misguided reform of the liturgy of the Roman Rite has lead to the massive problems we have today, on every level effecting Holy Mother Church.

I believe that some day, the excommunication of Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre and his four bishops will be lifted. I also believe that, like many formally excommunicated men before him who were later canonized, Lefebvre will some day be lifted to the altar as a saint.

Were it not for Archbishop Lefebvre’s work to hold onto Tradition, call into question the novelties following Vatican II and leading the way for a return to the Traditional Latin Mass, the Mass of the ages, the “most beautiful thing this side of Heaven,” the indult, the FSSP, et al, would never have seen the light of day, and the Traditional Latin Mass would have died on the “spirit of Vatican II.”

God bless Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre!
[/quote]

Well, I think I’ve got a feel for most of the “orthodox” Catholics who participate on this forum. I echo PreVatII’s arguments. No SSPX; no FSSP or indult Mass anywhere. (Looks like I’ll be suspended before I’ve hardly begun.
NormaJean, did you know that you were suspended? I inform the members that I am a rather militant, card carrying SSPX member. SSPX is the only game in town in my opinion. They are the only ones among all the “Trads” who command respect from the Pope and his liberal, modernist curia- not that I don’t applaud the efforts of all the traditional Catholic groups, including independent traditional chapels. We’ll win in the end! The Council will be repudiated. Marcel Lefebvre will eventually be canonized. And if I am blocked from further participation on this forum, I’ll just laugh my way all the way to the next “Catholic” cyberforum.
By the way, I did not crash in upon this forum. I received numerous e-mail invitations from the Catholic Answers staff to participate in their online activities. Guess I won’t be getting anymore unsolicited e-mail from them, will I?

I don’t know how to capture a link, but go to the apologetics forum and click on the banned topics sticky, note from mod T Martin, water cooler is normally not the forum where church and doctrinal issues are discussed that’s why its not covered on this forum’s sticky notes.

[quote=hollingsworth]Well, I think I’ve got a feel for most of the “orthodox” Catholics who participate on this forum. I echo PreVatII’s arguments. No SSPX; no FSSP or indult Mass anywhere. (Looks like I’ll be suspended before I’ve hardly begun.
NormaJean, did you know that you were suspended? I inform the members that I am a rather militant, card carrying SSPX member. SSPX is the only game in town in my opinion. They are the only ones among all the “Trads” who command respect from the Pope and his liberal, modernist curia- not that I don’t applaud the efforts of all the traditional Catholic groups, including independent traditional chapels. We’ll win in the end! The Council will be repudiated. Marcel Lefebvre will eventually be canonized. And if I am blocked from further participation on this forum, I’ll just laugh my way all the way to the next “Catholic” cyberforum.
By the way, I did not crash in upon this forum. I received numerous e-mail invitations from the Catholic Answers staff to participate in their online activities. Guess I won’t be getting anymore unsolicited e-mail from them, will I?
[/quote]

Oebedientia papae signum filii veri Ecclesiae est. Fortasse hoc ignoras.

[quote=hollingsworth]Well, I think I’ve got a feel for most of the “orthodox” Catholics who participate on this forum… I inform the members that I am a rather militant, card carrying SSPX member. SSPX is the only game in town in my opinion. … We’ll win in the end! The Council will be repudiated. Marcel Lefebvre will eventually be canonized…

[/quote]

Why don’t you just try an SSPX forum? Does SSPX also teaches it is okay to lie and agree to the rules you never intend to keep? I guess moral theology is not their strong point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.