Forum for those Discerning the priesthood

Im 19 years old and I've been back in the Church for a little over a year now. I know I want to love God for the rest of my life to the best of my ability. I really want to join the Priestly Discernment Program at Franciscan University in Steubenville.

I hope anybody else who is discerning the priesthood finds courage when looking at your brothers and sisters who are thinking about joining the religious life. You're not alone. May God Bless you all!

The priesthood is something that lurks deep within the recesses of my psyche. A kind of dull, implicit longing towards it, one could say, lies there but I have not fed that urge or reflected deeply upon it. It is there, and I would never say no if it turned out to be God's will for me. As yet however my course of study is geared towards something quite different. I'm going ahead with this for the forseeable future. I am 20 years old and heartened to find a young man such as yourself who is discerning. I am not per se discerning. I'm nowhere near that stage and should think that I will not be for a good while yet, if ever. I can't really describe what this quiet feeling is that gives the priesthood some kind of, what should I say, 'aura' for me. I wouldn't call it "discernment", its much too weak and remote to be that. Nonetheless, I am celibate and actually enjoy being single, such that I have also considered a religious life ie as a Dominian Brother rather than a priest. Perhaps that would be more in keeping with God's plan for me rather than Holy Orders, perhaps not. I am caught. I do not really know 'who I am' at this period in my life - the only 'me' I feel is the serene silence and nothingness of my individual self when engaged in Contemplative prayer, when the fullness of God comes into me. Nature abhors a vacuum and that's what I feel like in myself - "empty", except for the Holy Spirit within me at those times of heightened prayer. For this reason I have long considered life as a religious - not necessarily monastic, more turned towards as I said a Brother in the Dominican Order. I don't know.

Apologies for going on a ramble :D I'm a little confused as you can see. I am happy that you seem to be more certain about God's will for your life than I am!

You will be in my prayers dear brother.

[quote="maxdouglas402, post:1, topic:303664"]

May God Bless you all!

[/quote]

Bless you too, brother!
A lot of courage (we need it in this secular world). I am very happy for you.:yyeess:
You are in my prayers,
Your brother, fut. seminarian Attempto

[quote="Vouthon, post:2, topic:303664"]
The priesthood is something that lurks deep within the recesses of my psyche. A kind of dull, implicit longing towards it, one could say, lies there but I have not fed that urge or reflected deeply upon it. It is there, and I would never say no if it turned out to be God's will for me. As yet however my course of study is geared towards something quite different. I'm going ahead with this for the forseeable future. I am 20 years old and heartened to find a young man such as yourself who is discerning. I am not per se discerning. I'm nowhere near that stage and should think that I will not be for a good while yet, if ever. I can't really describe what this quiet feeling is that gives the priesthood some kind of, what should I say, 'aura' for me. I wouldn't call it "discernment", its much too weak and remote to be that. Nonetheless, I am celibate and actually enjoy being single, such that I have also considered a religious life ie as a Dominian Brother rather than a priest. Perhaps that would be more in keeping with God's plan for me rather than Holy Orders, perhaps not. I am caught. I do not really know 'who I am' at this period in my life - the only 'me' I feel is the serene silence and nothingness of my individual self when engaged in Contemplative prayer, when the fullness of God comes into me. Nature abhors a vacuum and that's what I feel like in myself - "empty", except for the Holy Spirit within me at those times of heightened prayer. For this reason I have long considered life as a religious - not necessarily monastic, more turned towards as I said a Brother in the Dominican Order. I don't know.

Apologies for going on a ramble :D I'm a little confused as you can see. I am happy that you seem to be more certain about God's will for your life than I am!

You will be in my prayers dear brother.

[/quote]

Thank you for sharing.
I will be keeping you in my prayers as well. And honestly, I'm probably not as sure as I sound :o . Im joining this program to see if the religious life is really for me. I've only wanted to be a priest for a little over a year now, and it's something I want to discern with other men who are in the same boat... like the disciples I guess you could say. I want to see if Jesus is calling me in that special way.

[quote="Attempto, post:3, topic:303664"]
Bless you too, brother!
A lot of courage (we need it in this secular world). I am very happy for you.:yyeess:
You are in my prayers,
Your brother, fut. seminarian Attempto

[/quote]

May God Bless you on your journey Attempto! You will be in my prayers as well :D

Hello,
I am around the OP age and am discerning my vocation as well. So far God hasn't given me an answer to what my future state in life may be, so I guess I have to keep praying and pestering Him:D. I am open to the priesthood, but I'm not really attracted or long for it as others seem to. I am also open to the idea of marriage, but I don't know if I've even met the potential future Mrs. yet. I am not in a situation to support a family yet, but I am starting to feel a little impatient. Just some sort of sign. Even if it's a long way off, I would feel better if I at least knew what my vocation is.
Anyhow, to the rest of you who are discerning, God bless and good luck. And if any of you know of a novena to pray to recognize your vocation, let me know.:cool:

I am an 18 year old freshman guy in college and I am also discerning priesthood. Actually I'm pretty sure this is what I am supposed to do.

I have a deep seated intuition that I am not being called to marry, and I really could not envision myself being anything else except a priest.

However I still have my problems as well. I have no idea what to major in, Global Studies for future missionary work? I don't know. Nothing seems to interest me except Catholicism.

Then there is also my dad. He loves me very much, God bless him, but this is something he definitely DOES NOT want me to do. So that might be a problem.

But my hope is in Christ and Mary! :thumbsup:

any other men/women out there in college? It would be interesting to hear if you have similar concerns.

I have a good friend who is a priest who did his undergraduate work at Steubenville and it was a great place for him to conduct his discernment. No place is perfect, but that place is very good for that purpose.

[quote="300WhiteKnights, post:7, topic:303664"]
I am an 18 year old freshman guy in college and I am also discerning priesthood. Actually I'm pretty sure this is what I am supposed to do.

I have a deep seated intuition that I am not being called to marry, and I really could not envision myself being anything else except a priest.

However I still have my problems as well. I have no idea what to major in, Global Studies for future missionary work? I don't know. Nothing seems to interest me except Catholicism.

Then there is also my dad. He loves me very much, God bless him, but this is something he definitely DOES NOT want me to do. So that might be a problem.

But my hope is in Christ and Mary! :thumbsup:

any other men/women out there in college? It would be interesting to hear if you have similar concerns.

[/quote]

Adiutorium nostrum in nomine Domini!

I have exactly same story like you (I don't attend college but gymnasia - it's basicly same).

My parents also aren't very enthusiastic in my call to priesthood.
But we must trust in God, if He wants us then he will help us.
I will pray for you, my brother. Just prayer can help us! :) You should know that God loves you.
If you want - you could send me PM. :)

Frater tuus,
Attempto

Does anyone know what the maximum age is to apply for seminary/priesthood? "It depends on the diocese" is an acceptable, but trite, answer.

I will reword the question - does anyone know what the maximum age is to apply/enter the seminary from their diocese? In Diocese of Chicago, the maximum age is 45; I think in the Diocese of Austin, the maximum age is 50 but a 50y/o new priest cannot retire from the priesthood.

Brothers in Christ
I am discerning the priesthood as well

Ive thought about the diocesan priesthood
and also thought about a society of apostolic life called the Companions of the Cross

Ive also thought about some active religious communities like the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and the Dominicans (if I am called to religious life)
I have a sense that I am not called to a contemplative order...

I also love studying and learning but Im not sure how that would fit... obviously one studies philosophy/theology... but I also am good at mathematics and have a bit of an interest in science... though Im not sure practically how I would use that knowledge as a priest for Gods greater glory and for the salvation of souls.. something to discern I guess!

Please keep me in your prayers!

Your brother in Christ,
Zac

Peace to you Zac,
You definitely have the right idea in mind in using your gift of knowledge to somehow lead others to our loving merciful Father in Heaven. May God be with you as you discern.

Torch

"And preach as you go, saying "The kingdom of heaven is at hand...You received without pay, give without pay" (Matthew 10:7-8)

[quote="Podo2005, post:11, topic:303664"]
Brothers in Christ
I am discerning the priesthood as well

Ive thought about the diocesan priesthood
and also thought about a society of apostolic life called the Companions of the Cross

Ive also thought about some active religious communities like the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and the Dominicans (if I am called to religious life)
I have a sense that I am not called to a contemplative order...

I also love studying and learning but Im not sure how that would fit... obviously one studies philosophy/theology... but I also am good at mathematics and have a bit of an interest in science... though Im not sure practically how I would use that knowledge as a priest for Gods greater glory and for the salvation of souls.. something to discern I guess!

Please keep me in your prayers!

Your brother in Christ,
Zac

[/quote]

Hello brother,

"Sapientia est nosse Divina et humana. (Seneca)"

as I see you want to know all of wisdom on the world. I am happy for you. And human with out of intellect isn't human. So be both - good Priest and good Scientist. It's easy :). I also want to study Theology, Philosophy, Latin and may be even anything else :) - if my bishop will allow me.
Trust in God, serve him with your life and science.

God bless and I will remember you in my prayers!

In Christo,
frater tuus Attempto

Post Scriptum: Sorry for my English! :)

I'm 16 and in my 11th grade year (next to last) and praying about the priesthood. I haven't told anyone, though I plan to talk to my priest soon.

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.