Forum Title

Okay, how many people looked at this and thought, “Why are we discussing LSD?” and then realized they had a dyslexic moment? I know I did. :smiley:

[quote=Mary1973]Okay, how many people looked at this and thought, “Why are we discussing LSD?” and then realized they had a dyslexic moment? I know I did. :smiley:
[/quote]

Fabulous, absolutely fabulous. That never occurred to me. Maybe that is why there is so much “acid” in some of the posts.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Actually, is there much difference between chemically-induced and culturally-induced schizophrenia? :wink:

I just call them flat-Earthers, and let it be.

[quote=Jerusha]Actually, is there much difference between chemically-induced and culturally-induced schizophrenia? :wink:

I just call them flat-Earthers, and let it be.
[/quote]

I think chemically induced could probably be medicated, particularly if violent. I’m not sure that would work with the culturally induced. At the same time, chemicals wear off and this other sems to want to be long term.

Ever heard the word ADDICTION???

I am basically social justice-- but if I want to dip into liberation theology-- he was right-- it can be.

[quote=Jerusha]Ever heard the word ADDICTION???

I am basically social justice-- but if I want to dip into liberation theology-- he was right-- it can be.
[/quote]

So why is this LDS forum here, started by Catholics?

I think we should just be honest here and call them what they are … Mormons and not LDS.

These people are not Saints latter day, former day, or any other day, at least not according to the Catholic definition of the word “saint”.

I refuse to call these people “saints” when they clearly are not, so it’s mormons to me.

[quote=boppysbud]I think we should just be honest here and call them what they are … Mormons and not LDS.

These people are not Saints latter day, former day, or any other day, at least not according to the Catholic definition of the word “saint”.

I refuse to call these people “saints” when they clearly are not, so it’s mormons to me.
[/quote]

This is the thing you know. They are truly opposite. They adopt words from the Christian religions and make them sound like they believe in the same thing. They obfuscate Christianity this way. And then, when one goes into the LDS website and looks at the doctrines and covenants, one begins reading something that makes no sense to him and yet, doesn’t know why. Because it is so, so opposite, it’s like reading a foreign language. Words like Trinity, Saint, martyrdom, sanctity, sacred, heaven and so on. They have adopted all of the words of Catholicism but have put them to opposite function. I never realized this before until I signed up for this forum, because well, I never looked before.

But we must remember that there are Catholics who use their religion like a drug, who are obsessed with rules-- rather than one’s relationship with God, and who use their religion in bad ways, etc. I have seen this in other areas of CatholicAnswers.

Just because we have the right to look at another religion and challenge its belief system and history, does not mean that we have the right to ignore our own imperfections.

My study of Mormonism, which my circumstances forced me to do, also challenged my Catholicism. That is why I have an intense desire to see the canonization of Bartolome de las Casas in my lifetime. He definitely had the courage to confront the imperfections of Catholics.

[quote=Jerusha]But we must remember that there are Catholics who use their religion like a drug, who are obsessed with rules-- rather than one’s relationship with God, and who use their religion in bad ways, etc. I have seen this in other areas of CatholicAnswers.

Just because we have the right to look at another religion and challenge its belief system and history, does not mean that we have the right to ignore our own imperfections.

My study of Mormonism, which my circumstances forced me to do, also challenged my Catholicism. That is why I have an intense desire to see the canonization of Bartolome de las Casas in my lifetime. He definitely had the courage to confront the imperfections of Catholics.
[/quote]

Oh. But Jerusha, did he have the courage to confront his own imperfections or just those of other Catholics?

:wink: Read his writings. :cool: In my assessment, he underwent profound self-examination. As an example, early on, he said that Africans were OK for slavery, but Indians were not. He later retracted his view. In one early work, he condemned the genocidal crimes by Christians. Later, he matured and attacked the church’s drift into Greek philosophy that justified slavery.

As for his personal life, that is up to the Church to examine. I don’t have access to any information on that.

[quote=Jerusha]:wink: Read his writings. :cool: In my assessment, he underwent profound self-examination. As an example, early on, he said that Africans were OK for slavery, but Indians were not. He later retracted his view. In one early work, he condemned the genocidal crimes by Christians. Later, he matured and attacked the church’s drift into Greek philosophy that justified slavery.

As for his personal life, that is up to the Church to examine. I don’t have access to any information on that.
[/quote]

And this is my point Jerusha. The personal life of Catholics who may or may not be in sin in no way diminishes the truth of the Church or in no way increases the correctness of any other religions. It is two different things. It is like this: A Jehovah Witness came to my door and unfortunately I allowed myself to become entangled in discussion. I, simply, was not able to deny that within the Church there have been child molesting priests. And they had the response of “So you admit that Catholics have serious problems with sin?” And I said yes. And she said and you admit that the priests have done outrageous offenses? And I said yes. And she went on: So now you know that the church has mislead many people and is not true, right? And I said no, these are two very different things. And she told me I had been deliberately confused by the Church. Oh, well.
It’s like this. We do need to set examples this is true. But because I am sinful, I don’t then expect every other Catholic to suddenly discover the Church is in serious doctrinal error. And yet people commonly make this extreme stretch: Oh I suddenly discovered the Church was not the true Church because I found out the lady on Third and Main was having an affair. No true Christian would ever do that, therefore the Church is wrong. Ridiculous.

:yup: :amen: Excellent points!!

In Spanish “LDS” is “SUD.” It’s also about a dozen syllables longer to say the full title of the church. Ugh.

Such fun, bashing Mormons. Put the word Catholic where ever you put LDS and see how that sounds.
I think you are worrying so much about what others believe that you forget we are all children of God. He probably thinks these sibling arguments are so like his children.(He knows us very well) But, it probably makes Him very sad to see the comments and ridicule of each other, when he loves us all equally and has asked us to do the same to each other. Love one another.
If there is true love, there would be no back stabbing and ridicule, just because all people do not believe the same as you do. We are in these forums to exchange ideas with each other and learn from each other. We should listen courteously and respond courteously, otherwise it sounds just so self-righteous. I am just as guilty as you are sometimes when I am offended by criticism of the most important thing in life to me, which is my believe in God. I strike back when I am called names, just like a child, but please let us try to show more respect, even if our beliefs seem silly to you. I know you are good people and think you know the only true way. But, I am also a good person who thinks I know the truth. Nothing, is going to sway either of us to the other religion, but it does help weed out the misconceptions, and make things not so weird, if we listen to each other.
Reading this thread, would make me think all Catholics were small minded and mean. I know better, so I don’t think that, but think before you speak. New people come to these forums who do not know us and if they read this particular thread they will get a very poor view of Catholics, as well as Mormons.
:frowning: BJ

I see some puns, pontifications, and discussion of an author, but no bashing of Mormons (except perhaps boppysbud’s post). I think you’re overreacting.

[quote=boppysbud]I think we should just be honest here and call them what they are … Mormons and not LDS.

[/quote]

The LDS church officials have asked that the name of their church be used in full, ie: media stories. The full name of their church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In Utah, where there are many news stories about the LDS church, this request is carried out. I have yet to see this done in national news. When I’m watching the local news, even if their are three separate reports about the LDS church, the full title is used at the beginning of the report. If the name is used again in the same report, then it is shortened. The reason for the request is the LDS church wants more emphasis put on Jesus in their religion. Because I live in Utah, I try to show respect to the LDS faith. Sometimes I call them mormons but I usually try to call them LDS. Here in Utah, most people just say “the church” with the understanding that they mean the LDS church. It’s ironic that in the rest of the world, “the church” is the Catholic church.
The word “saint” has a different meaning to LDS than it does to Catholics.

[quote=Brad Haas]I see some puns, pontifications, and discussion of an author, but no bashing of Mormons (except perhaps boppysbud’s post). I think you’re overreacting.
[/quote]

I think you are right, it just seemed like it was a lot of joking about acid and that, and I did not see the humor. Sorry.
To add to Maggie’s post, I think that a lot of people did not know the actual name of the CoJCoLDS and Mormon is a nickname we were called because of the BoM, I actually had people who found out I was Mormon, say"Oh your church doesn’t believe in Jesus Christ does it?" When I said of course we do…they said “but not the same as we do right?” That is so exasperating, so the Church has asked us to be sure to use the whole name, so that other religions do not get confused about who the head of our Church is, which is Jesus Christ. It is a long name, but the original church was The Church of Jesus Christ, and the LDS part is added to differentiate between the Biblical times and the latter days. Same church restored in the latter days before the second coming. BJ

[quote=UtahMaggie]The LDS church officials have asked that the name of their church be used in full, ie: media stories. The full name of their church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In Utah, where there are many news stories about the LDS church, this request is carried out. I have yet to see this done in national news. When I’m watching the local news, even if their are three separate reports about the LDS church, the full title is used at the beginning of the report. If the name is used again in the same report, then it is shortened. The reason for the request is the LDS church wants more emphasis put on Jesus in their religion. Because I live in Utah, I try to show respect to the LDS faith. Sometimes I call them mormons but I usually try to call them LDS. Here in Utah, most people just say “the church” with the understanding that they mean the LDS church. It’s ironic that in the rest of the world, “the church” is the Catholic church.
The word “saint” has a different meaning to LDS than it does to Catholics.
[/quote]

We call them Mormons because where I come from that is how they introduced themselves , because they used the Book of Mormon, and because according to the Church they are a non Christian group therefore not saints. Or else we just say LDS.

No BJ, you have nothing to apologize for. This is blatently a “Lets have a good laugh at the expense of the religious beliefs of millions of other people” thread and has been from the first subject line.

I think this forum area was put here to discuss questions non LDS have about the LDS church and discuss apologetics, but has instead become a gathering place for the most judgemental people I have ever seen anywhere. (and I thought the Baptist were bad)

It is one thing to say “I believe differently than you” and respect the beliefs of others even if you do not agree with them, but to make such sport of completly trashing someone elses beliefs is utterly abhorrant and downright sinful! And it’s not just this thread, but this is the thread that broke the camels back.

I am also beyond sick of the “Mormon’s aren’t Christians” lies that seem to be perpetuated soley on this board. I would say they are far better Christians than some on this board, and your rage against them can only be seen as an act of jealousy; that you would rather trash other good Christian people to make yourself look better by contrast.

If the actions of the people on this board are a reflection of the attitudes of the general laity of the Catholic church, I will very seriously have to rethink whether I want to be associated with any church that would openly allow such bigotry and intolerance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.